Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EPR Settings and Flow limits
RE: EPR Settings and Flow limits
If there were more of them yes. I would maintain these settings (EPR=3,fulltime) for a while. The CA events should diminish over time
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay. I will keep going with it for now. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello everyone.
Please be patient with me, because I am still trying to get a good night's rest. 
I recently had a very unrestful night with 7 CAs only. It was a night where I felt like I hardly slept at all. So I took my EPR back down to 2 and changed my pressures. I had one night with maybe 3 apneas and increased flow limits. On the second night at this, my apneas shot up. 
I just switched back to an EPR of 3 and my flow limits went down but had many apneas, hypopneas and RERAs. I am wondering if some of the problem stems from mouth leaks, as I have been using a chin strap that does not quite hold my mouth shut. I tried taping, but feel it is dangerous because I do have nasal congestion. So, I am wondering what to do for tonight. I was going to try a night at 10.40 minimum pressure with EPR 3 and see if I can get a good night's sleep again. I know you said to give it time before, but it had been about a month at EPR 3 and I was having some restless nights. I am looking into a new chin strap or, possibly, even a cervical collar. But aside from that, do you see anything in the tidal volume or insp /exp time that could be problematic in either scenario?
Post Reply Post Reply
and one more
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see any difference between 2 and 3 EPR in your results except for a slight increase in flow limits with EPR 2 and an increase in pressure with EPR 3. I think the increase in pressure is due to occasional OA events and you apparently need about 8.4 cm EPAP pressure to avoid most obstruction. OA events are occuring in clustered pairs which suggests some of it is positional, but that is too infrequent to advise you pursue positional correction. Your best results appear to be with higher EPR, but I would consider increasing minimum pressure slightly with EPR 3. The pattern of events with EPR 2 is less clearly associated with pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider. I sometimes have very few apneas with EPR2 but more flow limits. Do you think I should try increasing pressure to at least 11 with EPR 3? Also, anything unusual with tidal volume, insp time and exp time?
Maybe some of the OA clusters have to do with my mouth opening. I am trying to fix that.
Post Reply Post Reply
DJCpap thanks for your posts. And thanks to all that help you here.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again! 

I have inched up my minimum pressure slowly to 10.8 (someone suggested getting to 11) and I am finding my AHI has been higher. I am noticing that I seem to be having very vivid and strange dreams, so not sure if the settings are causing me to have more REM sleep (my apnea pre-treatment was severe in REM) or if I am having oxygen desaturations or both. I have nothing against dreaming! I have a history of intense dreams, but I often wondered if many were the result of the apneas I was having in REM. Anyway, after my second to the last arousal, I was trying to get back to sleep and put an oximeter on. My oxygen was fluctuating between 95/96 while I lay awake trying to sleep and my heart rate went as low as 50. I woke up just as I was falling asleep and my oxygen was 94. I know this is normal, but I was asleep for about 5 seconds. So I am wondering if it is going lower. But my real question is still whether or not an EPR of 3 is working. When I had an EPR of 2, my AHIs were under 1 pretty much every night. My flow limits in the 95% were .01 or .02, now they are .00 in 95%. Should I keep setting like this a little longer? I just worry because I wake a little bit headachy and want to make sure it does not have to do with oxygen levels. Also, do other things looks normal? Resp rate, tidal volume, insp rate, etc?
THANKS
Post Reply Post Reply
CA events are above OA and flow limits are non-existent. Pressure is not changing much through the night with less than 1-cm variation between minimum and 95%.. You certainly don't need our permission to reduce pressure to a more comfortable minimum that worked better. If flow limits become present, the Autoset will increase pressure without the need for higher settings. Take it back where you felt best.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The CAs happened this morning when I was half awake and trying to get back to sleep. 
I guess I am wondering if I should try a lower pressure but keep EPR at 3 or take the EPR down to 2. I think I have more awakenings at 2 but much lower AHI. I know we are not supposed to chase numbers.
Also, just asking advice. I know it is ultimately up to me. I just get very confused.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 293 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,601 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 499 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.