Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EPR Soft vs. Normal EPR
EPR Soft vs. Normal EPR
I am using a ResMed10 with EPR set to 'soft' Can anyone explain the difference between the 'soft' setting and the 'standardl' setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPR Soft vs. Normal EPR
It controls the ramp slope from exhale to inhale pressure when using EPR. Soft brings it up smoothly, whereas standard is immediate. The closest thing I can think of for an analogy, would be turning a light on and off.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! Which do you prefer and what would make me chose one over the other?
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed AutoSet has a "Response" mode that can be set to "Soft" or "Standard". This mode controls how rapidly the Autoset responds to needed pressure changes -- how quickly it responds to apnea events in increasing pressure, or in reducing pressure in the absence of events. I used the Soft setting myself with an AutoSet. It made the pressure increases more gentle and less disturbing for me.

I am not aware of the Response mode having any effect on EPR. If it does, that's news to me but is certainly possible (and I would appreciate a reference).

Now, if you have a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto, there is a setting called Trigger that will affect how quickly the machine switches between EPAP and IPAP (known effectively as EPR and Pressure in an AutoSet). And there are other settings that can be used to control how steep the switch, etc. But none of those settings are available on the AutoSet.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found this when googling...

AutoSet Response mode

ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm now allows for additional customisation of therapy with the new AutoSet Response mode, which offers all the benefits of the enhanced AutoSet algorithm with gentler pressure increases for additional comfort.

For patients who are sensitive to faster changes in pressure during therapy, AutoSet Response can be set to either Standard or Soft. If set to soft, patients will receive gentler pressure rises during therapy.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do we know the difference between Soft and Standard settings on the ResMed Autoset's algorithm behaviour when the pressure needs to be reduced? Alternatively, do we have any control over how quickly the device is trying to reduce the pressure?

There are plenty of examples showing that while the pressure needed to be increased significantly to deal with some undesirable overnight events, nevertheless, after a while, the Autoset algorithm was able to lower the pressure and maintain it for long periods without any subsequent events. Perhaps these observations are related to the position of the patient, and whence it is changed, there is no need to maintain the elevated pressure anymore.

Is there a difference in this respect between the algorithms of different manufacturers of instruments with Autoset function?

Importance:
Some non-apnea-related medical conditions demand the lowest average pressure feasible while maintaining some efficiency (for instance, AHI<5) of the CPAP treatment. Hence, a quicker decline would result in a lower average pressure during treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 7 586 04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 331 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 465 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 666 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 596 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 289 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 405 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.