Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

Question EPR and Sleep Quality
I changed my EPR to 3 to see if it helped me or not.

I have not had a good night sleep since I changed it. I was waking up all the time. So, last night, after waking up twice in less than 4 hours, I turned the EPR back to off and I slept for another 3 plus hours without the fitful sleeping.

I cannot see what the EPR would have to do with this but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this or something similar.

Thanks and have a great day.

Help
10-03-2013 07:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
luckydog Offline

Members

Machine: resmed s9
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: resmed
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: 8-18
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
RE: EPR and Sleep Quality
I have my EPR set at 2 I find it is a more relaxed breathing - I believe the exhale is 2 less than the setting in pressure - sorry for terminology - When I am in a deep sleep I breath shallower and at setting one the air flow was difficult to was more labored - I have gone from 3-4 ahi to .6-1 by going from epr 1 to epr 2
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013 08:36 AM by luckydog.)
10-03-2013 08:35 AM
PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12-17

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

(10-03-2013 07:53 AM)me50 Wrote:  I changed my EPR to 3 to see if it helped me or not.

I have not had a good night sleep since I changed it. I was waking up all the time. So, last night, after waking up twice in less than 4 hours, I turned the EPR back to off and I slept for another 3 plus hours without the fitful sleeping.

I cannot see what the EPR would have to do with this but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this or something similar.

Thanks and have a great day.

Help

Depends on what you are used to, me50.

If you've grown accustomed to the full pressure in and out, then suddenly having the machine drop the exhalation pressure would be "different" enough to play games with your mind (i.e. - what's wrong with my dream machine?)

If you're comfortable with the machine set EPR=0, then that's what works for you. I personally like the EPR=3 setting with my nasal mask, but I am noticing the "pulse" of the change when using a ffm...I may be experimenting in the not too distant future.
10-03-2013 11:21 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

There's been a lot of discussion here and elsewhere about whether EPR is helpful or not. We've heard reports that some sleep docs are having it turned off as the default as they think it attributes to more events.

It is touted as a comfort feature and for the most part, it is. All it does is raise the pressure on inhale or drop the pressure on exhale (different manufacturers use different methods). With Resmed, the number of the setting corresponds to the pressure change. So a setting of 2 means the exhale is dropped 2 points.

Aha! I found it. I did an "experiment" a while back to see if EPR makes any difference.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-EPR-good-or-bad

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-03-2013 11:45 AM
alby_c Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: resmed s9 autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I like the epr.
I find I use different settings with different masks
Nasal pillows I like 3.
Nasal mask 2 and full face mask I like it at 1 or off
I am now consistently getting an AHI at about 0.5 +/- 0.3 so am pretty happy with it and use the pillows unless I have a cold. Then as the nose get sore I switch to the nasal or full face depending on the severity.

i do not think it really matters what it is set to for treeatment - just find the setting that works for you with the mask you are using.
10-04-2013 06:23 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

EPR and Sleep Quality
I think for most people, it's a comfort thing and has little effect on AHI.

However, it affects the results of some people. Since you spend half the time at a lower pressure, you might need to up your pressure a little.

A small number of people find their AHI is better or worse with EPR. The difference is especially notable in terms of central apnea.

Yet another reason to have the software and check your own results, and to tinker with things like EPR or pressure.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
10-04-2013 07:05 AM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

This is why I changed to a BI-PAP back in the day, as my pressure was so high that I couldn't exhale easily. I do think that change takes a while to get used to (like a week or three). In my thinking I can't stress enough the need to make changes slowly, and one at a time, otherwise it's like a sleep study - was it just a good night or a bad night?

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
10-04-2013 12:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

When I first went on a BiPAP my CA index shot way up (around 17 or so). So I can understand that a drop in the exhalation pressure, even though it's a much smaller drop with EPR than with a BiPAP, could cause problems for some people.

Right now I have the BiPAP set at 12 over 11, with Bi-Flex set at 3. (Bi-Flex is EPR). If I raise the EPAP higher than 11 I start swallowing air.

Keep in mind that all of these effects are transient. Once I get used to a setting I can change it infrequently by small amounts. That's the way I get the benefits and minimize the side effects.

What I mean is that originally I went from CPAP at 13 to BiPAP at 13 over 8 (because I was swallowing air big time). The doctor and the DME were totally unaware that the BiPAP had EPR and didn't seem interested in learning about it. Then they changed it to 11 over 8, then 10 over 7 (because my CA index was so high it was putting my AHI over 5).

Once my AHI was staying below 5 every night, I started making my own changes. My goal is to get back to a CPAP pressure of 13. The side effects are air-swallowing and elevated CA index. Although my AHI stays below 5, I find that as I raise the pressure back up (by 0.5 per month) I can lower the CA index and thus lower my AHI. But when I got above a CPAP pressure of 11 I started swallowing air again, so I went back to BiPAP mode at 11.5 over 11. Then the next month I went to 12 over 11. Next month it'll be 12.5 over 11, unless I notice an increase in my CA index.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-05-2013 11:07 AM
RonWessels Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS560TS
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ComfortGel Blue
Humidifier: REMstar Heated Tube DS6T
CPAP Pressure: 11 - 20

Other Comments: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter

I'm a little confused about Bi-Flex. Let's start with something simple: what is the difference between a CPAP set at 12 with a C-Flex setting of 1 (ie. 12 on inhale and 11 on exhale) and a BiPAP with IPAP 12 and EPAP 11? My understanding is that they are essentially identical.

Now, this leads to Bi-Flex. With a separate EPAP and IPAP, Bi-Flex cannot be a pressure reduction on exhale like C-Flex (or EPR) is, since that is controlled by the EPAP setting. I had thought that Bi-Flex was simply a smoothing of the transition between the IPAP and EPAP pressures, with the higher Bi-Flex settings meaning that the transitions were smoother (and taking a longer time). Is this correct, or am I missing something?
10-07-2013 05:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(10-07-2013 05:19 PM)RonWessels Wrote:  I'm a little confused about Bi-Flex. Let's start with something simple: what is the difference between a CPAP set at 12 with a C-Flex setting of 1 (ie. 12 on inhale and 11 on exhale) and a BiPAP with IPAP 12 and EPAP 11? My understanding is that they are essentially identical.

I have noticed that the pressure doesn't jump from EPAP to IPAP until I start to inhale. With C-Flex, on the other hand, the pressure jump occurs at the end of the exhale. Not much of a difference, but it is a difference nevertheless.

Quote:Now, this leads to Bi-Flex. With a separate EPAP and IPAP, Bi-Flex cannot be a pressure reduction on exhale like C-Flex (or EPR) is, since that is controlled by the EPAP setting. I had thought that Bi-Flex was simply a smoothing of the transition between the IPAP and EPAP pressures, with the higher Bi-Flex settings meaning that the transitions were smoother (and taking a longer time). Is this correct, or am I missing something?

You are correct in that there is a smoothing of the transitions (a change in the shape of the pressure graph) but there is also a reduction in pressure over and above the reduction between IPAP and EPAP.

Bi-Flex can be set to 1, 2, or 3, in the same way as C-Flex or A-Flex. All three are essentially the same except for the way the pressure transitions, or to put it another way, the shape of the pressure graph.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

10-07-2013 06:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Information Vitamin D & B's and Sleep Quality membus 13 1,940 10-28-2016 05:35 PM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  RERAs and Sleep Quality holden4th 6 365 10-13-2016 03:58 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  Overall quality of sleep SamStamport 13 745 08-03-2016 08:18 PM
Last Post: Sn00zeAlarm
  LOW AHI vs actual REAL quality sleep waydavis 28 3,937 08-28-2015 03:37 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Is there a proven co-relation between AHI and Quality of life? TheManseHen 7 1,782 02-23-2015 07:44 AM
Last Post: novatom
  [News] Marijuana Linked with Impaired Sleep Quality ApneaNews 8 1,900 07-03-2014 09:15 PM
Last Post: retired_guy
  [News] Full Moon Affects Quality of Sleep ApneaNews 2 1,135 08-09-2013 05:27 PM
Last Post: RonWessels