Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EPR -- please explain
EPR -- please explain
I think I need to know about EPR. I checked the Wiki up there ^ and learned that it stands for exhalation pressure relief. Didn't tell me anything more than that.

Could someone explain what it is and if it is something I should set? I'm still having lots of leaks and my AHI is still hovering around 6-7.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPR -- please explain
(09-26-2014, 10:11 AM)Clementine Wrote: I think I need to know about EPR. I checked the Wiki up there ^ and learned that it stands for exhalation pressure relief. Didn't tell me anything more than that.

Could someone explain what it is and if it is something I should set? I'm still having lots of leaks and my AHI is still hovering around 6-7.

That's it. It's pressure releife for exhalation. So when you exhale it's easyer. Some find it easyer to support the therapy with it. Some dont like it. I heard some ppl say each epr point would be the quilavent of removing 1 cm of pressure.

From my understanding it's more a confort setting. SOme ppl had better results removing EPR.

I personally use cflex+. That is the equivalent for respironics. I've had better results in lowering it.

I dont have any medical formation so i cant give any advice. I'm just telling my personal experience Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
As the name suggest it is pressure relief when you exhale - it drops the pressure when you are exhaling.... It makes it easier to breath by reducing the pressure when exhaling.

(looks like Gandhi posted while I was composing)
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2014, 10:11 AM)Clementine Wrote: I think I need to know about EPR.

Your machine has PS (pressure support) instead of EPR. The idea in both cases is to lower the pressure when you exhale, making it easier to tolerate the therapy. PS is better than EPR. EPR has a maximum setting of 3, wheras PS has no such limitation.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2014, 10:11 AM)Clementine Wrote: I'm still having lots of leaks and my AHI is still hovering around 6-7.

The AHI is not relevant when the leak rate is out of control. If your nasal pillows fit well, then the leak has to be from your mouth. Are you wearing a chin strap?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please quantify "lots of leaks". Avg & 95% leaks are most important, maximum isn't much of a deal, unless the other two are high and you are looking for large leaks.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR/pressure relief/Flex/Pressure Support/bilevel/VPAP/BiPAP are all forms of "pressure relief."

The machine detects when you exhale and reduces the pressure to make it easier to exhale. Some people find it difficult or uncomfortable to breathe out against the pressure the machine blows and exhale relief can make it easier.

It's mostly for comfort but does have an effect on the treatment results for some people. The effect on results is usually minor.

It can affect your leak rate because the changing pressure can make the mask fit differently. The effect on leak is usually somewhat minor.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2014, 04:24 PM)archangle Wrote: EPR/pressure relief/Flex/Pressure Support/bilevel/VPAP/BiPAP are all forms of "pressure relief."

The machine detects when you exhale and reduces the pressure to make it easier to exhale. Some people find it difficult or uncomfortable to breathe out against the pressure the machine blows and exhale relief can make it easier.

It's mostly for comfort but does have an effect on the treatment results for some people. The effect on results is usually minor.

It can affect your leak rate because the changing pressure can make the mask fit differently. The effect on leak is usually somewhat minor.

Oh good point! I should have thought of that but didn't. Looks like I need to check my settings; I had no problem with the Remstar Pro C flex, which is straight pressure so if I need to adjust the EPR up a bit I am OK with that.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2014, 10:56 PM)Evpraxia Wrote:
(09-26-2014, 04:24 PM)archangle Wrote: EPR/pressure relief/Flex/Pressure Support/bilevel/VPAP/BiPAP are all forms of "pressure relief." ...

... Looks like I need to check my settings; I had no problem with the Remstar Pro C flex, which is straight pressure so if I need to adjust the EPR up a bit I am OK with that.

Hi Evpraxia,

EPR is widely considered just a comfort setting. However, EPR lowers the EPAP pressure, and if using a fixed-pressure machine, lowering the EPAP pressure may sometimes increase or worsen obstructive events.

However, because you have an Auto machine, increasing the setting for EPR should not increase the likelihood of obstructive events, because, if needed, the machine would automatically adjust the pressure to an appropriate level to avoid obstructive events.

If needed, those who are using fixed-pressure CPAP machines can have the CPAP pressure increased a little (by up to 1 cm H2O for each increase in EPR by 1), which would tend to compensate for using EPR.

One last point is that a fairly small percentage of PAPers (around 15%, I think) are susceptible to getting lots of central apneas. These patients sometimes find that reducing EPR reduces the number of Central Apneas they get per hour.

On the other hand, I think most patients prefer to use exhalation pressure relief, and for some it really improves their sleep quality. So try it for yourself and see whether it helps or not.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
i use EPR and found it made a great difference to getting used to my machine initially

one question though, my manuals say when camping and running off a battery not to use the EPR setting to get the most out the battery, how much power would it actually use?

the manual says dont use epr or the humidifier, humidifier makes sense as that would chew a fair bit of battery but EPR? surely not on the same sort of level?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please explain airsense term on clinical settings rebean 2 514 08-11-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: rebean
  [Treatment] New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers? CruzVevo 6 633 01-15-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  ResMed EPR…someone explain? spetzal 19 1,705 01-01-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Lynandra
  Guys can someone please explain all the different settings on a BiPap (Philips) Zoltyzolt 2 714 03-12-2022, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Video [Diagnosis] Hi guys starting therapy today, could someone explain my sleep study IwantToSleep123 6 978 08-14-2021, 01:27 AM
Last Post: IwantToSleep123
  Can Someone Explain what min, med, 95% and max mean? asuter060514 5 2,391 07-18-2021, 08:23 PM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  Large Leaks - Please Explain My Oscar Leak Data Attached Sleeper396 3 1,193 07-06-2021, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Sleeper396

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.