Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EPR setting and purpose
EPR setting and purpose
Hi.
I have a question on the EPR exhale setting.
The Dr. has my EPR set at 3 "so it would be comfortable".
What is the difference between the 1, 2 and 3 settings? Is 3 less pressure than 1 and 2, or more pressure?
I have been using an APAP for 1.5 years and my centrals seem to be getting worse. I read on the board that lowering my EPR might help lower my centrals. I was going to change my EPR setting and document the results, but wanted to first understand more about what the EPR does for us.
Thank you so much for help with this question.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPR setting and purpose
1, 2 or 3 cm pressure reduction on exhale, respectively.
Post Reply Post Reply
The purpose of the EPR is to reduce the pressure as you exhale. The numbers represent 1 cm H2O. You'll have to experiment to see if your idea will help you since results can vary among different people.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for the reply. It makes it clearer in my mind.
Goes along with why more CO2 left in the brain reduces CAs.
When I first got my sleep study results and saw I had both OAs and CAs, I did a lot of research. I came upon a website that claimed to be able to reduce CAs by learning how to exhale less air than you inhale - same principle. I tried to practice it, but could never get used to it awake......so impossible asleep - ha!
Post Reply Post Reply
Incidentally, your flow generator will not go below 4 cm H2O. When you consider that your pressure has been set at 5-9 then you will actually be experiencing 4-6 when exhaling, if your EPR is set at #3.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
One side note. An EPR of 3 means that your exhale pressure is reduced up to 3cmH2O below your current inhale pressure. The lowest your S9 can go is 4cmH2O. I see that your pressure setting is 5-9cmH2O. This means that at a starting pressure of 5cm your exhale pressure is 1cm less (4cm) than inhale pressure. Only when you get to an inhale pressure of 7cm does your EPR setting of 3 become fully functional. So based on your setting of an EPR of 3 your exhale pressure will remain 4cm from 5cm to 7cm inhale pressure and only increase to 6cm when you get to your 9cm maximum pressure.

I've found that at my moderate pressure of 10-11 the EPR causes me more problems that it helps. It probably is more effective at the higher end of CPAP pressures. I hope I never have to speak from experience about its virtues at higher pressures.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2016, 10:14 PM)wyogirl Wrote: learning how to exhale less air than you inhale - same principle. ha!

I couldn't resist the image of the evil Aunt in Harry Potter inflating and floating away...

I don't quite see how you can exhale less than you inhale without serious issues shortly...
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
By weight, one should exhale more "air" than on inhales.
O2 in + a carbon added by energy generation = CO2 out.
Product weighs more that intake via the lungs.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Not to mention that exhaled air approaches 100% RH.

I think most comments on exhale vs. inhale are concerned with the time taken for each. For those affected with emphysema, a longer exhale time helps the lungs operate more effectively as to gas exchange. I think it is generally accepted that an exhale time that is 1.5 times as long as the inhale time is considered normal. Also a slight back pressure help the lungs exchange gasses more effectively.

You may attempt to change that ratio consciously but when you drift off to sleep, all bets are off.

Dude

ps. The idea that CPAP may be beneficial to emphysema sufferers has been studied and proven but not widely prescribed AFAIK.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the significance of a shorter exhalation time than the inhalation time? I ask because as I'm reading this thread, I'm wondering if mine is abnormal. Dont-know

I feel fine, and lung function is normal per my Doctor, but my exhale time is always less than inhale time. Sometimes almost even, but usually less.

Does using EPR/flex settings affect this? Thinking of turning Flex setting of 2 off to see.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 160 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,204 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 859 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 426 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 389 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 3,011 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 514 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.