Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EPR setting correlation with sleep stages
EPR setting correlation with sleep stages
Has anybody observed this?

No that my set-up has settled and my average AHI is 0.4-1.3 every night, I've started exploring more of the finer details, I'm an engineer and very inquisitive. I like to understand things and really optimise systems.
For me EPR = 0 produces a better Deep/REM split, more like 12%/26%. My hyps are higher and AHI is closer to 1.3, so technically worse from an OSA perspective, but better from a sleep structure perspective.
EPR = 3 produces more like 6%/35%. Here my hyps are often zero and AHI is closer to 0.4 average.
These are averages, obviously there's nightly variances but the trend is observable.
Both scenarios are way better than no CPAP.
I do feel better after more deep sleep, so I'm leaning towards no EPR even though the AHI is not as good, and hypopneas happen about 1 per hour.

Has anyone else observed this? Is there a logical reason why it would be the case or am I imagining it.
I'm using Fitbit and Samsung Galaxy Watch to measure sleep stages, I believe them to be about 70% accurate, and quite consistent and so good enough to establish a trend over a week or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPR setting correlation with sleep stages
I strongly doubt that those gadgets you mention deliver reliable data about your sleep stages. Would that be so "easy" the DME would surely use them as standard.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPR setting correlation with sleep stages
During trials they have been shown to have accuracy of about 70-75%, not good enough for a medical diagnostic tool but enough to build a reliable trend over time.
It does roughly correlate to perceived energy levels. 10% deep sleep might be somewhere between 8 and 12, but it’s not 20% for example. Many people don’t wear them correctly, but when worn properly they’ve been proven pretty accurate and consistent.

I personally wouldn’t place much value n a DME’s opinion on anything other than selling CPAP equipment, and even then they’re not that knowledgeable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 150 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 162 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,179 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 425 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 382 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.