Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can you determine leak type?
Can you determine leak type?
Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to determine the type of leak that has happened by looking at Oscar charts.Yesterday I remember having mask leaks and also some leaks due to mouth breathing while using a nasal mask. I am trying to determine which one was more important. I assume both these events would produce similar graphs but if there is a more specific way to differentiate, I'd be happy to know.

As am example, here's my graph for last night:

By the way, is that amount of leak is important for my therapy? The ResMed S10 has the green smiley face, so I assume it means it is ok but I wanted to bu sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can you determine leak type?
That's not bad leaking from a technical point of view, your machine will still work as designed.
However, it's a bad leak if it wakes you up. If you remember the leak then I'm guessing you were awake?
The sections with a flatter top look more like mouth breathing, but again it's not bad unless it's disturbing you.
Do you use a soft cervical collar or mouth tape?
Post Reply Post Reply
I remember waking up 4-5 times. The first 1-2 times, I didn't feel a mask leak but I was mouth breathing. Towards the end of the sleep the mask was probably slightly displaced, so I woke up 2-3 times feeling a leak on the mask, and in all of these mask related cases, I was side sleeping. Side sleeping is quite a challenge, as the mask tends to move in this position, even though it has a small surface area compared to a regular full face mask (Dreamwear nasal mask). Maybe having air channels on both sides contributes to the problem, even though they aren't  directly compressed.

I am considering solutions for mouth breathing. I've ordered both a cervical neck collar and micropure tape. Taping feels very counterintuitive and even dangerous though. I always fear that if there is power failure I might not be able to breath (I know that there are holes on the masks to prevent this from happening but it is still a concern).The neck collar can be a problem during summer months and I don't know how comfortable it is, or how effective it will be, as it probably will require some thinkering to find the sweet spot. My third solution option is to use the Dreamwear full face mask, which doesn't really look like a full face mask. I've ordered the headgear and the mask. I assume it won't be as comfortable as the nasal mask and there will be a higher surface area to leak. That therapy sure needs a lot of experimentation Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably more information than you want.  The flatter tops are usually mouth breathing, and spikes on the graph are mask movement.  There are a couple graphs in link below that show the differences.

A few leaks during the night are nothing to worry over unless it bothers you.  But if you experience leaks for a good portion of the night, then that can affect the machine's ability to respond properly.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Head#Leaks
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,413 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 155 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 138 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 253 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.