Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA
RE: EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA
I've become a bit lax. used to clean everything every 3 days, now more like 10 days to 2 weeks. the p10 mask frame I use the vast majority of the time is almost 3 years old. I have noticed some occasional intermittent shakiness immediately on removing the mask, usually after a nap, and I've had condensation on my upper lip (mustache). IDK if these are indicative of the problem but the surest way to fix it or rule it out is to use a water jet flosser to pressure wash the vent screens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although Resmed recommends "daily cleaning" of the vent piece/pillows, I think twice a week is sufficient.  - - You should be very safe with that!  I'd recommend a soft brush like a soft-bristled toothbrush for cleaning the vent holes... You can spray your fine sprayer from kitchen sink faucet through the holes to rinse out.  

If you ever experience water in your mask, you should be more diligent with the cleanings...  Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just cleaned my vents and flushed them out with an air compressor as well....they look a little better. We recently moved to the country and there is clearly more dust in the air!!! Hopefully tonight will be a better night!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sheepless: "...the surest way to fix it or rule it out is to use a water jet flosser..."

Maybe it's overkill, but in my opinion, the flosser is the most efficient and reliable way to clean your vents.  Having looked under 250X magnification at all manner of ways to clean the vents, I am completely confident that this method will remove any residual dust as completely as possible: 100psi is really quite effective!  I am not sure brushing will do as well unless this can be confirmed with pictures. When I tried it, I still could not remove the particles that seemed pinched between layered fibers.

My vents look as clean as new with this washing and if you really like the P10, I think it is well worth the peace of mind to know it remains pristine.  I think the flosser will pay for itself just in extending the replacement cycle for the P10 frames. I don't think you would need to use the flosser more than once per week or possibly once per month because it cleans so well.  Most reports suggest there is a delay of some months--three to six---before the onset of obstruction, suggesting that it usually takes a new vent some time to accumulate enough dust to become a problem.

Alternatively, if your insurance replaces it frequently enough, then routine brushing + replacement may be good enough.  I can replace the frame every 6 month, but still have to pay a copay, and I'd rather just save the money and use it for the occassional new headgear replacement.

Some members seem fine with less rigorous cleaning methods, and, of course, many have never had any of these problems. But if you live in a more dusty environment, I'd also double up on the CPAP filter or maybe consider the hypoallergenic filters that, "are made of non-woven aqcrylic and polypropylene fibers with a polypropylene carrier, the combination of which is supposed to block even the very finest particles."

I haven't personally used these filters, but I might order some in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
now that I think about it, if the water jet wasn't your idea mdmarmd (and it probably was), I'm pretty sure I read it in this thread first, as I believe I recall you put it to the test. I should have given the proper attribution. I'll blame lingering brain fog... :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow!!! What a difference clean vents made!!! Great night of sleep with zero issues. I will be more diligent with the cleaning and utilize my air compressor more often!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Idea 
I realize that this is a very old thread, but the Airfit P10 has been such a widely adopted nasal pillow mask, and my go-to choice used most of the time, that I've long been concerned with its potential to induce hypercapnea.

I don't know if other users have come to a similar empirical conclusion that merely cleaning the mesh with a faucet stream or a WaterPik-type device is inadequate, especially over the long-term, but this prompted me to search for other, more effective solutions. I've contemplated getting an air compressor, principally for automotive maintenance purposes, but nixed the idea as not being cost or space-effective.

I next tried cans of compressed "air," the type used for air dusting computers and their components, but I started to contemplate what chemicals and/or propellant methods might be used on something you literally breathe through for hours on end. Furthermore, the cost of canned air dusters starts to add up over time, even just for computer and electronics maintenance.

The solution I've finally come to, after all this time and testing, is to get one of those electric powered handheld 500W 40,000 RPM blow dusters. I got mine at AliExpress for under 30 bucks. I'd suggest a more powerful corded one, rather than a weaker battery-operated one. That, before and after a toothbrush cleaning with Dawn or comparable dishwater liquid, has proven the most effective method for keeping the P10 unobstructed.  

[Image: attachment.php?aid=47856]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=47854]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=47855]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
This is an interesting thread for P10 users, especially those that keep their P10 masks more than 6 months.

My P10 is about 9 months old and gets daily washings. i had a couple of really bad sleep nights recently, and the only thing in common was that I washed my tube hose and mask about one hour before bed - drying over the fan from an air cleaner. Although the mask and short tubes are mostly dry in that short time, the long tube likely still has moisture in it that gets sent on through to the P10's exhaust vents.

If it's true that, over time, the P10 exhaust ports can get restricted exhaust air flows (from dust and dirt) that isn't corrected through simple light washing; and if it's also true that leftover water moisture might get stuck in the somewhat compromised exhaust mesh, that might explain it.

I'll get out the water flosser to do a deep cleaning and make sure everything is well dried for tonight to see if that corrects the problem. Meanwhile, it's trying to survive a couple of over-caffeinated brain-wrecked zombie days due to significantly reduced PAP use with significantly reduced PAP effectiveness.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 20 1,455 03-17-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: mecutl3r
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,783 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,541 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 267 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 253 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 946 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 405 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.