Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ear “popping” as if on aeroplane
RE: Ear “popping” as if on aeroplane
Thanks Dave. You’re right about balancing settings. I think I will readjust the max upwards by one every few nights till 16 and see how it goes. My nightly average is around 10 but I’ve read that Dreamstation auto tends to revert to settings lower than is optimal to fix/pre-empt apnea. So I don’t want to set the max too low. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome. Keep us updated on the progress.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't read the answers to this thread yet, but I've posted and also replied to several threads about ear issues with CPAP here in this forum. Maybe click on my name and see posts I've replied to with ears mentioned in the title.

I, too, have the DreamStation, which I'm very happy with.  But I also got ear issues from it, some of which are what you mentioned (popping).  

For me, I found it went away when I got rid of the exhale support.  When I turned that completely off, the ear issues went away.  I had many ear infections as a child, and my ears have always been sensitive to altitude changes. I understand altitude effects change in pressure. And basically with each inhale and then exhale on the CPAP, my ears experience a change in pressure, and my ears don't like that.

To be clear, my ears don't have a problem with my auto CPAP adjusting pressure as needed to avoid or deter apnea. It's the breath by breath constant change (that exhale support provides) that my ears don't like.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that I've read the whole thread, I realize your issue seems to be more in the realm of aerophagia. I've experienced that quite prolifically. And I've also commented (and started) some threads here on that subject, and have resolved that issue which had been severe for me. So click on my name and look for those posts too.

You mentioned trying to keep your max as low as possible. But keeping your min pressure as low as necessary is even more important for avoiding aerophagia. That has helped me a lot, as well as positional therapy (keeping my head & shoulders elevated above my lungs, and sleeping on one specific side which I forget which side that is).
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, combating aerophagia and GERD means I mostly side sleep left down. And due to GERD and back issues, I have the head area elevated with my adjustable hospital bed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought conventional wisdom is to have pressure settings two notches above the 90% average for max and two notches below for minimum.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not too sure there's any conventional wisdom when PAP and Apnea are concerned. Each of us are individuals and have to set the machine according to personal requirements. I'd set Min and Max wherever you must for proper treatment. I've seen this mentioned before, basically it works out to be a pressure support of 4. It's fine if it works for you but don't feel obligated to make it work if your body wants some other pressure set. Since we're each individuals needing personalized pressure sets that's why default PAP settings never work.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have eustachian tube issues and when I put on my cpap, most often my tubes 'pop' and my hearing improves. For me it's not painful. I do wonder if my issues might improve if I didn't use cpap--or turned off Exhale Support, as suggested. I have a Resmed auto sense 10--I wonder how to do that?

Actually I always presumed that the popping was opening my eustachian tubes, and this was a good thing. My issue is with blocked eustachian tubes.

On another note: very infrequently I will run my machine to dry out my tube or rid it of ozone smell after cleaning. the machine will automatically turn off after 30 seconds or so. Even less frequently, that will cause the machine to then blow extraordinarily hard when I turn it on again. I wonder if the OP had soemthing like this occur.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Popping noise from Resmed elbow Proth 1 664 09-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Ears popping from full face mask arborgent 0 391 01-20-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: arborgent
  SOLVED - ResMed Aircurve 10 popping noise FJ40 18 11,944 11-29-2022, 02:30 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  "Fullness"/Pressure in ears, ears popping. How can I stop this? JustAUser 0 546 10-13-2022, 07:00 AM
Last Post: JustAUser
  VS and VS2 popping up lately, any thoughts? Phaleronic 2 576 11-24-2021, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Question Ears popping & mouth filling with air SpicyButt 4 2,065 12-21-2020, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  "Preparing SD Card" Message Keeps Popping Up EnsignRo 8 5,827 01-27-2020, 08:35 PM
Last Post: EnsignRo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.