Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ear “popping” as if on aeroplane
Ear “popping” as if on aeroplane
The past few nights I’ve been woken up by an uncomfortable sense of fullness and “popping” in both ears as if I were on an aeroplane trying to adjust to the pressure. I’ve been on CPAP for a few years and have not had this experience before. Recently I switched to Dreamstation. My 90% pressure level is around 10. I sleep with my lips taped so it should not be related to mouth breathing. 

I have not found any posts on the forum on ear problems - particularly the “popping” due to fullness and pressure in the ears. I then went on the internet and found one or two reports of this happening to other people. There are conflicting speculation on the cause - the CPAP pressure set too high or too low.  

Does anyone have any experience of this or any idea why this happens?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ear “popping” as if on aeroplane
Use the search tool and type "ear popping"

Some threads should come up that may be helpful.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd think it'll be found related to your switch to Respironics. Their machines require higher pressure sets to gain proper Apnea therapy. Maybe the fix is going to ResMed, as their machines respond faster and allow lower pressures while still attaining treated Apnea status.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave. But could you explain why lower pressure in one machine is more effective than the same lower pressure in another machine? At least that is what I think you are saying. That Resmed allows lower pressure but still treats the apnea.

(I am still going through the threads for ear popping)
Post Reply Post Reply
OK sure. ResMed and Respironics have their respective company's algorithm, this is the program within that decides how to handle Apnea events. ResMed responds faster to events, it works against Apnea from occurring, while Respironics attempts to react after the event and it's too late then. Given that, Respironics must operate at higher pressures to prevent Apnea while ResMed users can keep a lower pressure and it'll respond to the event bumping pressures to combat events while they occur.

FWIW it's not exactly being brand loyal. If the circumstances were reversed, I'd be all in on Respironics. I myself choose the one that works best, and that includes Apnea treatment and max comfort.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave for explaining it to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome. If you would download OSCAR the free report tool, you can post sleep session charts. Maybe there's pressure setting optimization that might help your ear discomfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
in my view, plugged popping ears is form of aerophagia. the quick solution is to reduce pressure to find a point that doesn't materially increase events while relieving the ear issue. longer term - I think - is to learn to manage tongue position. avoid yawning, talking, drinking water, etc. - generally opening your mouth - while masked up.
Post Reply Post Reply
    Thanks. Dave, I’ve uploaded the two nights when the “popping” happened. Actually, it was more serious than popping. I was woken up by air that seems to be pushing from the hose to my nose into and out of my ears. I pressed the button to lower the pressure but a couple of minutes later, the whooshing started again. I tried tightening the mask. No help. It was almost morning so I just got up. Same thing the next night. The whooshing took place towards morning. Throughout the day I had this “popping” sensation.  So the next night, the 12th, I lowered the maximum pressure to 12 from the previous 20. That worked. (A couple of weeks ago, I turned the pressure up to 20 from 12 as I thought it might help my flow limitation. We discussed this in another thread.) I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not seeing anything specific in OSCAR data, but my guess is you'll need to balance comfort and effective pressures to treat apnea. Most PAP users need to do this balancing act anyway to some degree. If you need to lower pressures to gain ear comfort, so be it. Then naturally you'd monitor OSCAR and view the impact on therapy. At that point, you'd adjust pressure to balance between these opposing needs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Popping noise from Resmed elbow Proth 1 663 09-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Ears popping from full face mask arborgent 0 391 01-20-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: arborgent
  SOLVED - ResMed Aircurve 10 popping noise FJ40 18 11,942 11-29-2022, 02:30 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  "Fullness"/Pressure in ears, ears popping. How can I stop this? JustAUser 0 544 10-13-2022, 07:00 AM
Last Post: JustAUser
  VS and VS2 popping up lately, any thoughts? Phaleronic 2 576 11-24-2021, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Question Ears popping & mouth filling with air SpicyButt 4 2,065 12-21-2020, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  "Preparing SD Card" Message Keeps Popping Up EnsignRo 8 5,823 01-27-2020, 08:35 PM
Last Post: EnsignRo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.