Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ear clogging up
Ear clogging up
Is it normal for ear to clog up during night on Cpap??? Its like when you have a bad sinus infection and it drains into the ear and its clogged. Dunno it happens everyday though.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ear clogging up
I too have been having similar issues but hadn't thought that it may be CPAP machine related. Will be interesting to see if anyone else has experienced this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know i have sinus infections and they do drain in to ears.

Its only my right ear that clogs up.

Soon as i put mask on though my ears start popping or pressurizing if you know what i mean.

Doctor cant see me today so guess i have to deal with it.

Also had this issue when i had ba snoring nights.

So dont know what to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Problem #1.
popping sound of pressure being equalized is normal. any time there is a pressure difference inside the inner ear vs throat/nasal passages you will feel it.

wiki pedia has info: Eustachian tube

Same thing happens when you go up in an air plane or go scuba diving.

After your CPAP therapy is over for the day you should be able to re-equalize (pressure is reduced in throat)
If you yawn, swallow chew gum you can encourage the process after you wake up.
With some training you can learn to do it by will.

Problem #2.
You mentioned "bad snoring nights" was this before you got on CPAP or are you still snoring?
If you are still snoring you might need to work on mask/CPAP problem.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2013, 08:50 AM)Shastzi Wrote: Problem #1.
popping sound of pressure being equalized is normal. any time there is a pressure difference inside the inner ear vs throat/nasal passages you will feel it.

wiki pedia has info: Eustachian tube

Same thing happens when you go up in an air plane or go scuba diving.

After your CPAP therapy is over for the day you should be able to re-equalize (pressure is reduced in throat)
If you yawn, swallow chew gum you can encourage the process after you wake up.
With some training you can learn to do it by will.

Problem #2.
You mentioned "bad snoring nights" was this before you got on CPAP or are you still snoring?
If you are still snoring you might need to work on mask/CPAP problem.

No more snoring, just ear congestion like there is water/fluid build up....
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah ok. Perhaps just a coincidental infection?

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

My right ear has been clogged up for about a week now.
I had this happen several years ago with a cold - took Sudafed and it cleared right up.
Unfortunately its not working now - got an appt. with my Dr Thursday - hoping he can help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am doing same. Its still like fluid build up behind ear. Hit head and sound like water in ear.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2013, 09:38 AM)Tommy012175 Wrote: I am doing same. Its still like fluid build up behind ear. Hit head and sound like water in ear.

For me its in the Eustachian Tube - if I bend by neck (look down) it feels clear, but when I lift my head back up it clogs again.
I can hear it shift in there and it also feels like water in the ear.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. Same thing here.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.