Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Early Morning change in AHI
Early Morning change in AHI
I have gotten into the habit of checking my mask fit and AHI when I get up in the middle of the night just to see how I am doing. After sleeping about 3 to 4 hours I notice my AHI is around 2.0 to 3.0. I am sure it is because I have not been in that deep of a RIM sleep. After another 3 hours the numbers are more like 4.0 to 5.0. But by morning (another 2 hours) the number may well be up to 7.0 to 11.0. It is also, of course, where my CPAP pressures are causing excess pressure on my mouth to where I can't sleep and keep my mouth closed ... thus leaks. Are the leaks causing my AHI numbers to be off or is it just a problem with the wrong CPAP pressure when I get to RIM?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Early Morning change in AHI
I also check my AHI during the night. Discovered that the AHI goes up when I sleep on my back.
When I avoid sleeping on my back my AHI is lower. My sleep doctor suggested raising my pressure
to see if that would enable me to sleep on my back. I've raised it from 10.4 to 11.4. Not too comfortable
so far,too much air,feeling bloated. I may just have to stay sleeping on sides. I's a long learning process I
guess.Good luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Isn't the Quattro Air a full face mask? Meaning the mouth is covered, too? If so, then opening your mouth doesn't matter. It's being taken care of by the mask.

My question to you is why are you waking up so many times during the night? And when you wake up, what position are you in? Back? Side? Do you feel as if you were sleeping in that position a while or that you just rolled over there and woke up?

Sleeping on your back will let gravity help with the obstructing. The more events you have, the more you are pulled out of sleep, until you wake up. And if you keep waking up and insisting on looking at the screen, then that's not going to help any either.

If you think you are sleeping on your back, there's some things you can do to prevent that. If you aren't, then let's look into other stuff.

Unless you are getting up to go to the bathroom, don't pull yourself awake enough to look at the screen. Just go back to sleep. If you look at it, you're going to think about it, worry about it, and not go back to sleep easily.

What is the overall AHI in the morning when you are finally done with sleeping? The 7 - 11? How often is your nightly AHI that high? When did you see the sleep doctor last? When was the last time you changed any of the pressure settings?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2014, 06:09 PM)CasitaWayne Wrote: I have gotten into the habit of checking my mask fit and AHI when I get up in the middle of the night just to see how I am doing.

(09-25-2014, 07:35 PM)Dotalto Wrote: I also check my AHI during the night.

Come on guys..... Nighty night time is for sleeping, not futzing. Well maybe futzing, but not futzing with your cute little machine.

Come back to us with more info: In particular your overnight ahi, how many and what kind (OA, CA, etc.) What is your minimum and maximum pressures? What is the actual average pressures you are experiencing?
Also, what about leaks? What is your leak numbers?

With this kind of stuff we can help you to help yourself in getting to that magical land of sleepytime oz.

......So sleep well tonight, don't be futzing, and tomorrow let us know how you're doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2014, 08:49 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(09-25-2014, 06:09 PM)CasitaWayne Wrote: I have gotten into the habit of checking my mask fit and AHI when I get up in the middle of the night just to see how I am doing.

(09-25-2014, 07:35 PM)Dotalto Wrote: I also check my AHI during the night.

Come on guys..... Nighty night time is for sleeping, not futzing. Well maybe futzing, but not futzing with your cute little machine.

Come back to us with more info: In particular your overnight ahi, how many and what kind (OA, CA, etc.) What is your minimum and maximum pressures? What is the actual average pressures you are experiencing?
Also, what about leaks? What is your leak numbers?

With this kind of stuff we can help you to help yourself in getting to that magical land of sleepytime oz.

......So sleep well tonight, don't be futzing, and tomorrow let us know how you're doing.

Hey, on the contrary. I don't change my numbers at night and it has been a comfort to know that for at least the first 6 hours of the night my AHI has been pretty good. Most of the time I am just checking to see if I need to do if that frowny face guy shows up.
Now the question is only "What to do about those last two hours? Maybe just get up and read a book. :-)
To answer Paula-O
I forgot to change my profile. I now use the Res-Med P10 pillow mask. Sorry about that.
I get up about twice a night to go to the bathroom. I sleep on my back so that my arm doesn't go to sleep. My morning numbers run from 5 to 10 and I saw my doctor about two weeks ago which made me realize it was going to have to be me that solves this problem with all of your help. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2014, 10:18 PM)CasitaWayne Wrote: Hey, on the contrary. I don't change my numbers at night and it has been a comfort to know that for at least the first 6 hours of the night my AHI has been pretty good. Most of the time I am just checking to see if I need to do if that frowny face guy shows up.
Now the question is only "What to do about those last two hours? Maybe just get up and read a book. :-)
To answer Paula-O
I forgot to change my profile. I now use the Res-Med P10 pillow mask. Sorry about that.
I get up about twice a night to go to the bathroom. I sleep on my back so that my arm doesn't go to sleep. My morning numbers run from 5 to 10 and I saw my doctor about two weeks ago which made me realize it was going to have to be me that solves this problem with all of your help. Thanks

I have a phobia about that frowny face guy and his goofy friend the happy face. So I think if I saw them in the night I'd probably be up for a long time.

Anyhow, what are your pressures set at, and what sort of events (OA, CA, etc) are you experiencing?

One of my great joys of cpap therapy has been the ability to sleep on my back where I never could before. At least not for many years. So I'd keep on doing that if I were you, and try to optimize your therapy to that situation. One thing that really can help is to elevate the head of your bed. Not just a pillows width, but significantly so that you get some relief from the gravity thing. Other than that, fine tuning your pressures might get you where you need to be. You're close, so you've been doing a good job.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never go above 4 ahi but I will throw what the machine is registering as OAs and events in the last 10 minutes or so before I shut the machine down. Usually Im awake during this period of time and as usual my wave forms change from sleeping to awake so I think the machine sees the changes in length of time between breathes etc and starts logging stuff and jacking the pressure up.

It only a guess but I always toss a few recorded events on two different softwares when Im going to sleep and waking up. Since Im awake I know im not having OAs but something about my awake breathing makes the machine think I am. I sort of toss those events the first 15 min or so I know I was awake before going to sleep and the last 10 min before I get up when I know I was awake.

Heck even I can tell just by looking at the waveform graph when im awake or asleep. The waveform is totally different.
Post Reply Post Reply
OP, please use a normal size font, unless you are vision impaired. It's considered bad etiquette on forums to use large fonts without a good reason.

Also, it is normal for AHI to rise right before you wake up. It's part of normal sleep physiology. At long as the jump isn't incredibly large, it is nothing to be concerned about.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to get going with Sleepyhead software that will tell you if you have leaks or not.
If your mouth falls open all your pressure escapes and you don't benfit from the therapy.
The software will log these kind of events for you so you can correct for them.

Check it out.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2014, 03:56 PM)Shastzi Wrote: You need to get going with Sleepyhead software that will tell you if you have leaks or not.

Thanks.
Unfortunately my PC has crashed and right now all I have is an I-Pad. I sure wish there was software I could use with it. I am new to this forum and part of my problem is patience. My nights are improving thanks to you guys.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,431 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,705 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 121 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 202 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 318 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,986 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.