Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Earplugs safe to use with CPAP?
Earplugs safe to use with CPAP?
I'd like to use earplugs when sleeping to aid in noise reduction. Would there be any pressure issues with CPAP usage at the same time? I'm already a bit congested and am having ear issues because of it, but when it clears up (hopefully soon), I'd like to try and use earplugs. 

If anyone else is using them, any issues? Any specific brands to use?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Earplugs safe to use with CPAP?
I sleep with earplugs using my APAP and never have any issues. I use Flents Quiet Please. They are the white tubular ones. Different type of foam than the tapered ones.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would recommend earplugs that breath like foam ones. The silicone that seals out may cause pressure issues from the built up pressure from the CPAP machine. I find that if air flow is strong, high sealing earplugs would cause stuffy feel to the ear with pressure to it. And this is probably not good for ear health.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree about earplugs that don't completely block air flow.

I use earplugs nightly. But when I'm stuffed up, I don't wear them because it makes my ears hurt more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2021, 09:23 AM)Jeff8356 Wrote: I sleep with earplugs using my APAP and never have any issues.  I use Flents Quiet Please.  They are the white tubular ones.  Different type of foam than the tapered ones.

(10-25-2021, 09:26 AM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: I would recommend earplugs that breath like foam ones.  The silicone that seals out may cause pressure issues from the built up pressure from the CPAP machine.  I find that if air flow is strong, high sealing earplugs would cause stuffy feel to the ear with pressure to it.  And this is probably not good for ear health.

Thanks! Do the Flents Quiet Please allow air to flow? Or do you guys have any other recommendations?
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't say with certainty if the Flents "breath" or not.  I believe they are PVC foam as opposed to Urethane foam like many others.  I have a sensitivity to Urethane which is how I started using these instead.
But I have used them when I was stuffy (cold, allergies) with my APAP and never noticed any type of pressure feeling.

You can get a small box of them from a local pharmacy, possibly Walmart or Target. They are relatively inexpensive if you want to test them out.  I usually get the big bulk container.  I also use them when doing yard work, leaf blower, trimmer, mower noise, etc.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your inner ear is connected to airway by narrow tubes called eustachian tubes.

Your inner ear is separated from the outer ear by your ear drum.

CPAP pressure will increase pressure in the inner ear but that pressure will not go into the outer ear unless you have issues like a perforated ear drum. The only real way CPAP can cause a pressure increase in outer ear is if you use an ear plug that doesn't leak at all and you put it in before you turn the CPAP machine on, then the CPAP machine increases pressure pushing ear drum outward compressing air in outer ear slightly. If that is something that is bothersome try putting in the ear plugs after you have turned CPAP on.

Furthermore many (maybe even most) of the foam earplugs are closed cell foam which doesn't breath.

Find an earplug that is comfortable, that is likely far more important than breathability imo.
Post Reply Post Reply
Use them every night. Was using the silicone ear plugs you mold to your ear and switched to Loop which are washable, soft and comfortable. Husband snores loudly thus the need for earplugs and sadly he refuses to do anything about it in spite of my success. Sigh…
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2021, 11:19 AM)YipeekiOH Wrote: Use them every night. Was using the silicone ear plugs you mold to your ear and switched to Loop which are washable, soft and comfortable. Husband snores loudly thus the need for earplugs and sadly he refuses to do anything about it in spite of my success. Sigh…

As my wife told me pre-CPAP, it only takes her one pillow to stop my snoring. Permanently. 

I went for a sleep study instead.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 401 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [Equipment] Are the Replacements Safe Keesh23 0 170 02-02-2024, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Keesh23
  Airsense 10 with modem safe from suppliers? HappySailor 3 766 07-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Is soft cervical collar safe to use? accetableplaintain 4 1,012 06-26-2022, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Sad What glue is safe to use on nasal masks? go2sleep 8 5,186 06-25-2022, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Skin Safe Memory Foam Tape? Jdubb 0 716 12-13-2021, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Jdubb
  Oscar 1.3.0 vs. Microsoft Defender Safe Screen saltydawg2 4 761 10-19-2021, 05:49 AM
Last Post: saltydawg2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.