Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ears popped ...
Angry 
Ears popped ...
So, my coughing has settled enough that I can at least attempt to use the CPAP.

Got all set up, fell asleep ... woke up with a yawn and BAM...both ears pop...painfully. Tried to equalize the pressure, but it took a while and I had to remove the mask.

So ANOTHER to the NO list... NO sneezing, NO coughing, NO yawning.

Anything else?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ears popped ...
A forceful burp might get close to presenting the same kind of danger.  Also, no regurgitation!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 01:22 PM)DoubtFire61 Wrote: So ANOTHER to the NO list... NO sneezing, NO coughing, NO yawning.

Anything else?

No talking!!!  (Anyone remember that Robert Klein monologue about grade school?)

Asking as a newbie, isn't it normal for a CPAP user to remove the mask briefly in order to sneeze or cough or yawn?  I don't know of any rule that the mask has to be glued to your face continuously from going to bed until getting out of bed in the morning.

The collection of compliance data by the machine is a related question, but I can't believe that the folks who write the firmware for these various devices would insist on having the machine end a sleeping session and begin another one if the user stops the blower for just a minute and then restarts it.  I'm thinking of auto-on/auto-off, that sort of thing.  Example:  I feel a sneeze coming on; I remove the mask, sneeze,  yawn, sigh, say "Ugh!" and "Foo!", sit there staring blankly into space for N seconds, and then lie down, replace the mask, and breathe into it to restart.  Doesn't that work OK?  I mean, as OK as anything can work when one is wearing such an annoying contraption to begin with.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the ear popping was related to the congestion and is not a normal problem. How has the Philips Amara View mask doing for you, I know you got it dialed in.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the Amara View better than the Simplus, but neither tolerate rolling much.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am currently using the F20 airfit and it works very well. I sleep on back, right and left side with a regular pillow. I love the p10 pillows mask but can not control the leaks, It opens my nose and it stays open almost the full day. I used the fitlife FFM for 7 years, It covers your mouth nose and eyes, I looked like a scuba diver.
I have not tried either the Amara View or the Simplus.

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't yawn with it on either. It's too painful. I just remove it if I'm going to yawn. I also remove it if I'm going to swallow (as I'm falling asleep).
Post Reply Post Reply
I can have a weird ear pop when sitting upright when putting on my mask. By weird, I mean ear 1/2 pops until I lie down, then it "closes".

That said, I do sneeze and cough with mask on, but haven't done it with new mask (only one month old).
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started CPAP therapy a long time user told me to always exhale fully before yawning or swallowing to prevent ear pop. It works most of the time for me.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 05:20 PM)gwc2795 Wrote: I am currently using the F20 airfit and it works very well. I sleep on back, right and left side with a regular pillow. I love the p10 pillows mask but can not control the leaks, It opens my nose and it stays open almost the full day. I used the fitlife FFM for 7 years, It covers your mouth nose and eyes, I looked like a scuba diver.
I have not tried either the Amara View or the Simplus.

Good luck

Have you tried the Large size Pillows for the P10 I was use to using medium but started getting leaks with the mask, switched up to Large and now they have gone and it's been an amazing experience since...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pressure in ears corgan115 3 510 04-03-2023, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Bluesv6
  [CPAP] Racing heart beat and ringing in ears. Kelseyharry7557 3 597 02-17-2023, 06:52 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Ears popping from full face mask arborgent 0 418 01-20-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: arborgent
  "Fullness"/Pressure in ears, ears popping. How can I stop this? JustAUser 0 584 10-13-2022, 07:00 AM
Last Post: JustAUser
Idea [Pressure] tinnitus and ears problems with CPAP, need help weuw 16 2,843 05-31-2021, 11:45 AM
Last Post: weuw
  affects of fluid in eustation tubes and ears affecting AHI silversnore 4 899 03-19-2021, 08:50 PM
Last Post: hegel
  [CPAP] Noise in the ears g200 3 882 02-17-2021, 06:31 PM
Last Post: g200

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.