Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ears
Ears
Can I get ear infections from using CPAP? The last few days, I've been having plugged ears all day with pain that comes and goes throughout the day. I'm at a constant 8.5. Could my ear issues be from the CPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ears
Absolutely. Are you cleaning your mask and hose as recommended ?
How are you certain this is an ear infection ?
Post Reply Post Reply
It feels like ear infections I've had in the past.
I clean them as often as the DME said to, which is once a week for mask and once every two weeks for hose. Should I be doing it more often?
Post Reply Post Reply
I wipe my mask down every day, but I use a nasal mask. And am supposed clean my hose every week as per the user manual.
Hang in there, other, more informed members will come along and post something useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think it's pressure related, like when you go up on an aeroplane. you are applying 8.5 cm of pressure to your eustachian tubes and then stopping it and reducing the pressure to normal. It is also possible the pressure pushed gunk into the ear from the tube. I doubt it was an infection from the cpap itself.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're prone to being stuffed up / having colds, or your ears don't clear well when you fly it could just be the way you're built. Some folks have small eustachian tubes that are more prone to blockages (like with a cold or ear infection) which makes it far harder to equalize the pressure. As you're increasing the pressure in your airway to deal with sleep apnea and the eustachian tubes are connected to your airway...it can trap excess pressure in your ears.

Do a few good yawns help at all?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
PhsycoMike stated it well. You are probably suffering from blocked eustacian tubes which may be caused CPAP pressure. If you have been using CPAP for some time and this is a new development I suspect there is some other contributing factor. Have you tried repeated swallowing, yawning, and or chewing gum? These often help to open eustacian tubes and relieve pressure.

It is unlikely that this will result in infection. If it does it will not be from organisms from your CPAP equipment but from organisms already resident as part of the flora of your upper respiratory tract.

The cleaning you described should be sufficient. I assume you are cleaning the humidifier chamber at regular intervals as well.The organisms that cause ear infections will not grow well on CPAP equipment.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yawning, etc. doesn't help. I've never been on a plane, so I don't know what my ears would feel like if I did.
Do I need to clean the humidifier if I never use it?
Post Reply Post Reply
If the humidifier never sees water, nothing will grow in it. All it's exposed to is filtered air from the machine.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
I have this ear issue, too. I don't love it, but it's worth the trade-off for the benefits I'm getting from PAP therapy.

I was able to lessen the pain I was feeling by setting my max pressure lower, to keep my overall pressure lower.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pressure in ears corgan115 3 482 04-03-2023, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Bluesv6
  [CPAP] Racing heart beat and ringing in ears. Kelseyharry7557 3 567 02-17-2023, 06:52 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Ears popping from full face mask arborgent 0 391 01-20-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: arborgent
  "Fullness"/Pressure in ears, ears popping. How can I stop this? JustAUser 0 545 10-13-2022, 07:00 AM
Last Post: JustAUser
Idea [Pressure] tinnitus and ears problems with CPAP, need help weuw 16 2,745 05-31-2021, 11:45 AM
Last Post: weuw
  affects of fluid in eustation tubes and ears affecting AHI silversnore 4 858 03-19-2021, 08:50 PM
Last Post: hegel
  [CPAP] Noise in the ears g200 3 856 02-17-2021, 06:31 PM
Last Post: g200

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.