Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Edema and apnea
RE: Edema and apnea
I improved mine by setting EPR to 3 after reading an article on the nature of the cause. It helped. I had edema before cpap, but IMO cpap made it worse. I also started wearing compression socks - which has also helped. My calves have gone from measuring 18.5" to 16" -- Fairly significant!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2015, 12:27 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I improved mine by setting EPR to 3 after reading an article on the nature of the cause. It helped. I had edema before cpap, but IMO cpap made it worse. I also started wearing compression socks - which has also helped. My calves have gone from measuring 18.5" to 16" -- Fairly significant!

Lol! I said the same thing a couple days ago.... uh ohhhhh!!!
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
At least you're consistent... Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2015, 11:07 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I have edema, lymphedema to be exact, and I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about the same time as the lymphedema. I wish I knew if having one influences the other. I've also tried the low sodium thing because I also have hypertension. When I religiously follow "low sodium", my electrolytes get out of balance and the edema becomes more noticeable. My doctor says he doesn't know why I have lymphedema, but thinks that sleep apnea might get a little better if I lost weight.

Swelling of ankles & legs started about 14 years after I began PAP therapy, so I'm inclined to think the two are not closely related. The "Lymph" is a clear fluid that circulates throughout the body via a system of veins and and check valves. Muscle contractions massage these veins causing the Lymph to circulate. The check valves assist in overcoming the pull of gravity in the case of the lower limbs, increasing the return flow of the fluid. From this it can be seen that lack of exercise particularly walking will cause the Lymph to collect around the ankle and lower leg. Over time the check valves can also become partially restricted causing swelling (pitting oedema). The most effective treatment is compression stockings. These need to be prescribed by a GP who will request CT scans of the legs to determine the location of the restrictions, & measurements to decide on the correct size and rate of compression. With this information, stockings can be purchased in the US for less than $10. The Lymph flushes the body of debris from muscle action and other body organs, eventually carrying the debris to the blood which is then cleansed by the liver. Excess Lymph is stored in the spleen so that if fluid accumulates in the lower legs, the spare fluid in the spleen will make up for the loss of volume. I imagine oedema in the hands, arms & other areas have the same cause. It is best to refrain from treatment with drugs. I wear my stockings almost every day having a spell off them for a couple of days each week. I have no pitting oedema now.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Bilateral periorbital edema Ital Thai 2 471 11-23-2023, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Ital Thai
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,850 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,888 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.