Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Effect of CPAP therapy on respiratory patterns
Smile 
Effect of CPAP therapy on respiratory patterns
I don't come here often, but recently I wrote an article which is "on the verge of my expertise" and I know that here I will find people who will verify if I am not making a mistake in my conclusions. I tried to analyze how my breath looks like depending on what CPAP I use and what consequences it has.

Thank you in advance. Smile

https://www.cpapblog.pl/2020/01/effect-o...atory.html
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Effect of CPAP therapy on respiratory patterns
I was very interested to read this article. 

I have been using a resmed S9 and after doing some research, recently switched to a devilbiss. 

My S9 was getting a bit squeaky. 

Using the same fixed pressure  settings My AHI jumped from 2-3 using the resmed to 12-14 using the devilbiss. 

I am worried and contacted the supplier who has been less than helpful. I feel like I’m going a bit crazy. 

I also wonder if there are some sensitivity in the devilbiss which are affecting my results. 

If you have any insight I would be interested and grateful  

Janine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went from a DV (11-16) to a ResMed(1-3) with what was basically those numbers. I now run 0.5 +/-
Post Reply Post Reply
Has this been reported to devilbiss?
Post Reply Post Reply
When using the same constant pressure, it is hard to imagine that the results are so different. 

In my opinion, it is most likely that the old ResMed did not record all the respiratory episodes well. The therapy has not worsened but you just have better information now. My previous tests have clearly shown that the AHI measurement on CPAP can be severely distorted. 

The respiratory patterns in these 2 devices are different. DeVilbiiss can wake you up at night (arousals), and from there it's a straightforward way to high AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my opinion, ResMed usually wins because of the comfort. I've analyzed the algorithms in a million ways and found nothing special for ResMed compared to Philips. DeVilbiss is much eaven more "responsive" and when you analyse it on paper it works perfectly. But the results are usually worse... I think that DV has problems with breathing comfort, and the problem with AHI is de facto arrusals. After my reflection, it's as likely as reporting errors. OFC There may be both.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I’m confused. Are you saying that the arousal of the devilbiss gives an incorrect AHI or is the AHI on the devilbiss as bad as I think it is?
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of years ago I dug for what DV reported and I believe the events had a shorter duration resulting in higher numbers. I may have been not understanding what I read. This was before I found this forum
Post Reply Post Reply
It was a very interesting blog post, thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is just speculation... This would require detailed data analysis.
But the fact is, my AHI test on the polysomnograph was aways better than the one shown on DV Blue during the tests.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,095 26 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,061 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 156 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 253 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,342 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.