Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why are my CA same as OA in flow rate graphs?
RE: Why are my CA same as OA in flow rate graphs?
(02-22-2016, 09:41 PM)Ed1101 Wrote:
(02-22-2016, 06:44 PM)justMongo Wrote: Sleeprider: You notice that Ed1101 has Itime > Etime. And, low tidal volume?
Plus fast median resp rate.

(02-22-2016, 09:24 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Jm, I missed it. It's not as extreme as some recent cases we've seen, and I don't know if it's even significant. Tidal volume seems okay if this is not a large person, but the respiratory rate is 24 bpm, which is on the high side. Hard to say without more information. The waveform looks pretty good other than the apnea. To be honest, I don't know of any spontaneous PAP therapy that targets those parameters.

tom
I am 6' 1" and weight is ~250. I am seeing a Pulmonologist about reduce lung capacity.

Well, we are close to the same size and FWIW my tidal volume runs about twice yours. Your apnea is pretty well treated on your current machine. With reduced lung volume, it is possible to encourage improved ventilation using pressure support (difference in pressure between IPAP and EPAP), and your machine can provide up to 3 cm of EPR (pressure support). A bilevel (Aircurve 10 Vauto) machine can provide much more pressure support.

Something you might want to try is to change your EPR from 1 to 3. This will encourage more complete exhale and provide a comfortable pressure increase to help with inhale. It's not a good as a bilevel, but it can make a difference.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doesn't the resmed machine use an FOT to distinguish between a CA and OA? By definition an apnea is near cessation of flow for 10+ seconds. And the FOT kicks in to classify them properly? And I am assuming that SH can't show FOTs.

Maybe the resmed folks can comment.

Since your pressure doesn't budge much from 15, you may want to increase EPR to 3. It will help you exhale completely and may reduce your RR and I.E. Ratio ; and increase TV. It may increase CAs but they may settle down in a few weeks.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
FOT is clearly visible in Sleepyhead, as are the PR pressure pulses. The pressure pulse in Respironics, produces a pronounced flow change in CA, while, for me anyway, it's hard to interpret Resmed FOT fluctuations. FOT is the small amplitude wave.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2016, 01:49 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: FOT is clearly visible in Sleepyhead, as are the PR pressure pulses. The pressure pulse in Respironics, produces a pronounced flow change in CA, while, for me anyway, it's hard to interpret Resmed FOT fluctuations. FOT is the small amplitude wave.

Right, the FOT is a 1 cm-H2O amplitude, 4 Hertz wave imposed on the pressure. It begins about 4 seconds after cessation of flow. It is clearly visible in the high sample rate flow and pressure data. The scoring is based on the flow sensor data. Classification likely involves amplitude of the reflected wave; and perhaps phase.

(Probably amplitude as an open airway leads to the aveoli that would dampen the reflected wave.) I'm sure it's not 100% accurate.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 233 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 291 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,600 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.