Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Effects of anesthetic on apnoea. (my experience)
Effects of anesthetic on apnoea. (my experience)
Last week I had to go in for a gastric procedure that I have been having done every 6 months for the last nine years or so (an ERCP to clear my central bile duct and replace two stents that help to keep it open to drain)

Normally I stay in a motel across the road from the hospital the night before and walk over to have the procedure done first thing in the morning, then back to the motel in the afternoon when they are satisfied that I'm ok to go.. I'm not allowed to drive on the day of my procedure, and have to have someone stay with me overnight after the op. (usually my wife  Grin )

But this time they scheduled me for an after lunch time slot, so it was late afternoon before I was released to go home (cheaper to pay to be driven to the hospital and back seeing as I wasn't having to battle peak hour traffic (which is why I usually do the motel thing with my normal early surgery time)

What I noticed with using my CPAP the night after my anesthetic was that my AHI number rose quite a bit, and my mask fit was very poor at 85% ... and my wife moved to the spare bedroom because of the air rushing out of the mask, and I was so "out of it" that I didn't notice the mask was gushing air..... but damn, I had a really good deep sleep while the anesthetic was wearing off during the night.  Dielaughing

(and no I'm not stressed or surprised by the numbers and the mask leak, and I usually wake up at the slightest leak of the mask)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Effects of anesthetic on apnoea. (my experience)
I had a colonoscopy done last month using the usual Propofol/ Versed anesthesia. I really had a sore throat following the procedure and actually though I might have been intubated. I wasn't, but my throat was raw enough to lightly bleed. My AHI that night was normal for me (0.99) and no unusual leaks. My procedure was done by 10:30 AM, so maybe that offsets the affects.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2019, 09:16 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I had a colonoscopy done last month using the usual Propofol/ Versed anesthesia. I really had a sore throat following the procedure and actually though I might have been intubated. I wasn't, but my throat was raw enough to lightly bleed.  My AHI that night was normal for me (0.99) and no unusual leaks.  My procedure was done by 10:30 AM, so maybe that offsets the affects.

If your throat bled a bit...... did they perhaps push the camera too far up your butt?  Huhsign  
Laugh-a-lot
My endoscopic procedure involves the surgical team knocking me out, and then jamming a camera and instruments down my throat and in to my stomach.. and on past occasions I've had slight bleeding of the throat afterwards, but nothing more than a slight blood taste coming up at the back of my tongue. 

I was not surprised by the fact my numbers were disrupted, I just posted this thread in case others found it interesting or informative regarding the effects of anesthetics . 
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2019, 06:33 AM)Ockrocket Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 09:16 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I had a colonoscopy done last month using the usual Propofol/ Versed anesthesia. I really had a sore throat following the procedure and actually though I might have been intubated. I wasn't, but my throat was raw enough to lightly bleed.  My AHI that night was normal for me (0.99) and no unusual leaks.  My procedure was done by 10:30 AM, so maybe that offsets the affects.

If your throat bled a bit...... did they perhaps push the camera too far up your butt?  Huhsign  
Laugh-a-lot
My endoscopic procedure involves the surgical team knocking me out, and then jamming a camera and instruments down my throat and in to my stomach.. and on past occasions I've had slight bleeding of the throat afterwards, but nothing more than a slight blood taste coming up at the back of my tongue. 

I was not surprised by the fact my numbers were disrupted, I just posted this thread in case others found it interesting or informative regarding the effects of anesthetics . 
Coffee

The possibilities are endless. Lolabove
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, when I had my last procedure, the anesthesiologist TOLD me that my AHI might be higher and I should set my machine a little higher. He already knew I did my own settings. And sure enough, my pressure high went 2 units higher than normal for a couple of days. I'm not sure about the mask leakage thing. My brother didn't have leaks before his stroke, so maybe the anesthesia you had relaxed your face more than usual when in repose. I think this is more of an issue for those with full face masks, but who knows?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I experienced the same thing after surgery. My CI increased a LOT. Took a long time for it to decrease back to my "norm". Between the anesthesia and the pain meds, my AHI was all over the place.

And the older we get, the longer it takes anesthesia to leave our systems.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2019, 10:34 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 06:33 AM)Ockrocket Wrote:

Laugh-a-lot

Coffee

The possibilities are endless. Lolabove

This page needs a "like" button, or emoticons that can be used to indicate our reaction to a comment made by someone without actually doing a "reply with quote"... 

But your comment is bloody hilarious, though I hope they didn't join both ends of the endoscope to make it "endless"  Blink
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2019, 01:35 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Actually, when I had my last procedure, the anesthesiologist TOLD me that my AHI might be higher and I should set my machine a little higher.  He already knew I did my own settings.  And sure enough, my pressure high went 2 units higher than normal for a couple of days.  I'm not sure about the mask leakage thing. My brother didn't have leaks before his stroke, so maybe the anesthesia you had relaxed your face more than usual when in repose.  I think this is more of an issue for those with full face masks, but who knows?

The major mask leak was because I dislodged it in my deep sleep, and was too out of it to notice... normally I wake up at the slightest leak from it.

I'm a side sleeper, too painful sleeping on my back, and I toss and turn at night when my shoulder joints start to ache (maybe I am actually starting to get "old"  Thinking-about ) but I rarely dislodge the mask as I roll, and leaks are generally not something that occur to any great extent either.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your post. 

I have hand surgery coming up in A few weeks and I opted for the "awake with nerve block" form out of worry with general anesthesia and OSA. I have noticed a similar result as yours if I take a sleeping pill. My husband wakes me to adjust my mask if I knock it to the side. His gift is now having a few new hilarious stories of things I do and say under the influence.
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask leak makes sense to me. When I'm unusually relaxed, my face muscles go into a very different shape... which definitely messes with my mask fit (and thus mask choice).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 421 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 104 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 545 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99
  Digestive side effects of CPAP use davide.fez 1 463 08-27-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  AirSense 11 and MyAir App - Poor Experience necochino 29 4,460 08-24-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  Adding EPR had unexpected effects TiredTom111 12 1,606 08-18-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.