Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Effort to improve treatment of OSA and IH
RE: Effort to improve treatment of OSA and IH
Leaks are all below the large leak threshold, and are fine if your sleep is not disrupted. This shows a normal sleep time.

Please minimize the monthly calendar by clicking on the triangle in the date line.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2020, 06:02 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I’m not on my computer so I cannot give you step by step. But right click on the left side of leaks graf. Choose dotted line. One is for the permissible leak for the mask you have entered on the machine. Anything above the dotted line your machine cannot adjust for it and you are not getting therapy.

Very helpful!  I didn't know that feature on OSCAR.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2020, 05:45 PM)QuietSign Wrote: Another night's data, this time with a simpler chin strap (instead of the Knightsbridge, used a loopy style elastic band) and a much smaller piece of mouth tape (using a larger piece to create a seal works better but makes my lips chapped). Is this an acceptable leak rate?

QuietSign I'm so impressed with the work you're doing here, and the help you've received. I'm on the same path. I have a ResMed Autosens For Her machine. Brand new. And a Knightsbridge dual-strap. Brand new as well. Find I need to be careful putting the Knightsbridge on.  If I don't take care, I end up mouth-breathing.

I've done this a long time. I'm so impressed that you have great knowledge, and are getting wonderful assistance here.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2020, 07:20 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Leaks are all below the large leak threshold, and are fine if your sleep is not disrupted. This shows a normal sleep time.

Please minimize the monthly calendar by clicking on the triangle in the date line.

Another night's data. This time I used a simpler chin strap and a very small piece of mouth tape. I feel mostly pretty good upon wakeup, but did notice that I woke up multiple times throughout the night. Is this an issue? The tape seems to have worked pretty good up until close to the end, when it got a little loose. I've been sleeping a lot lately - it feels like I'm making up missing sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
We can see arousals, but they are not related to therapy settings in any obvious way. I think you are close to optimized and need to settle in. Making up for lost sleep is not a new thing to some of us, and it's actually part of the healing process. Give yourself time and be patient.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2020, 08:34 AM)DaveL Wrote: QuietSign I'm so impressed with the work you're doing here, and the help you've received. I'm on the same path. I have a ResMed Autosens For Her machine. Brand new. And a Knightsbridge dual-strap. Brand new as well. Find I need to be careful putting the Knightsbridge on.  If I don't take care, I end up mouth-breathing.

I've done this a long time. I'm so impressed that you have great knowledge, and are getting wonderful assistance here.
Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. Can I ask if you were in a similar boat of having a cpap machine that wasn't quite working well, prompting a switch to a Resmed?

Regarding the Knightsbridge, I'm wondering if you have any tips yourself on wearing it properly? I have tried both an L and XL to some success (planning on returning or donating the one that fits me less well), but I notice that it tends to slide forward on my head, despite tightening the rear velcro to be quite snug. I've lately been preferring the simpler loopy elastic strap, but definitely still experimenting.

I struggle with mouth breathing a lot, and I've noticed that a small piece of tape really can help. I've tried to make hermetic seals with the expensive Somnifix tape (not a fan) and generic surgical micropore tape (ok but adhesive is obnoxiously strong, even after dabbing it on fabric multiple times), but lately I've been preferring an "X" shaped mouth tape that is sold pretty cheap (90 for $10). The small "X" tape doesn't quite create a hermetic seal, it just adds a small local force keeping the center of the lips together.

(09-14-2020, 04:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: We can see arousals, but they are not related to therapy settings in any obvious way. I think you are close to optimized and need to settle in.  Making up for lost sleep is not a new thing to some of us, and it's actually part of the healing process. Give yourself time and be patient.
Regarding the concept of sleep debt, I wonder if my case is extreme? I've been sleeping 11-12 hours per night lately, and still wanting to nap a bit later in the day. I wonder if this is typical, and how long various people experience the recovery phase? My docotor mentioned some rough rule of thumb, saying a month of therapy for every year of sleep deprivation, but this is clearly a very rough guess.

It's hard to hold a productive schedule around such a massive amount of sleep, and while work has been pretty accommodating with a doctor's note, I'm hoping to get a grasp of the timelines that people recover with. But the thing is, I'm sleeping these hours because I'm letting myself naturally wake up - it very much feels like my body is craving sleep. I wake up feeling good now, which is revolutionary for me (before cpap/ on the Dreamstation, I would not feel good regardless of how much sleep I got). However I definitely feel exhausted later in the day, and it's not as easy to take naps anymore which is frustrating (I used to nap much easier, but now I frequently lay there with the cpap on, wondering why I can't nap). 

I guess I have so many questions because I want to be exhaustive regarding this cpap protocol and sleep apnea/UARS. I'm trying to get my knowledge to a point where if I'm still not feeling great, I can be confident the remaining issues lie elsewhere to minimize second-guessing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I really don't know the answer to excessive sleep time. I think establishing a schedule you can live with would be a good idea. Get 8 to 9 hours of sleep, use consistent bedtime and wake time and get on with life. If you need an hour in the afternoon, set an alarm. Eventually you will establish better sleep hygiene and the schedule will become a new habit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2020, 03:21 AM)QuietSign Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 08:34 AM)DaveL Wrote: QuietSign I'm so impressed with the work you're doing here, and the help you've received. I'm on the same path. I have a ResMed Autosens For Her machine. Brand new. And a Knightsbridge dual-strap. Brand new as well. Find I need to be careful putting the Knightsbridge on.  If I don't take care, I end up mouth-breathing.

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. Can I ask if you were in a similar boat of having a cpap machine that wasn't quite working well, prompting a switch to a Resmed?

Regarding the Knightsbridge, I'm wondering if you have any tips yourself on wearing it properly? I have tried both an L and XL to some success (planning on returning or donating the one that fits me less well), but I notice that it tends to slide forward on my head, despite tightening the rear velcro to be quite snug. I've lately been preferring the simpler loopy elastic strap, but definitely still experimenting.

I struggle with mouth breathing a lot, and I've noticed that a small piece of tape really can help. I've tried to make hermetic seals with the expensive Somnifix tape (not a fan) and generic surgical micropore tape (ok but adhesive is obnoxiously strong, even after dabbing it on fabric multiple times), but lately I've been preferring an "X" shaped mouth tape that is sold pretty cheap (90 for $10). The small "X" tape doesn't quite create a hermetic seal, it just adds a small local force keeping the center of the lips together.

(09-14-2020, 04:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: We can see arousals, but they are not related to therapy settings in any obvious way. I think you are close to optimized and need to settle in.  Making up for lost sleep is not a new thing to some of us, and it's actually part of the healing process. Give yourself time and be patient.
Regarding the concept of sleep debt, I wonder if my case is extreme? I've been sleeping 11-12 hours per night lately, and still wanting to nap a bit later in the day. I wonder if this is typical, and how long various people experience the recovery phase? My docotor mentioned some rough rule of thumb, saying a month of therapy for every year of sleep deprivation, but this is clearly a very rough guess.

It's hard to hold a productive schedule around such a massive amount of sleep, and while work has been pretty accommodating with a doctor's note, I'm hoping to get a grasp of the timelines that people recover with. But the thing is, I'm sleeping these hours because I'm letting myself naturally wake up - it very much feels like my body is craving sleep. I wake up feeling good now, which is revolutionary for me (before cpap/ on the Dreamstation, I would not feel good regardless of how much sleep I got). However I definitely feel exhausted later in the day, and it's not as easy to take naps anymore which is frustrating (I used to nap much easier, but now I frequently lay there with the cpap on, wondering why I can't nap). 

I guess I have so many questions because I want to be exhaustive regarding this cpap protocol and sleep apnea/UARS. I'm trying to get my knowledge to a point where if I'm still not feeling great, I can be confident the remaining issues lie elsewhere to minimize second-guessing.
QuietSign, my mantra is, "If I have to wear all this crap it's gotta work!"

I'm Canadian.  Live in Ontario Canada. Things are different here. I finally have graduated and stood up for myself.
My second machine was a Respironics brick.  It counted hours. That's all.  Then I bought a used cpap from someone that gave up on OSA treatment. Wonderful lady, and a friend still.   I put over 22,100 hours on that ResMed S9 Elite.  

My S10 is wonderful.  It's registered in Ontario as a cpap. Go figure.  I used it as a cpap for one night. It's been an apap ever since. That's 18 days or so of use. 
I mouth breath too.  And I'm claustrophobic.  That means I use a nasal mask and a strap.  I've paid a fortune for my collection of straps.  I bought 2 Knightsbridge dual-straps and I think highly of the inventor/owner of the firm.  He has been very helpful. I'm still learning.  I would be happy to compare notes by PM if that's ok?

Yes, I have had it slide down in front. Not as bad as my PapCap. The PapCap would actually cover my right eye! Freaked me out.
I used to do really really well with my S9E.  I often had 0"s!  My S10 whatever-it-is seems more picky.  It grades harder I think. that's good....

Useless information....Ontario California's founders were the Chaffeys.  I worked in a tiny town for two summers called "Chaffeys Lock"  Back then there still was a baseball diamond labelled "California" on the road we took to our cottage. Right across from the one-room school. I pumped gas at Alford's Marina. And got thrown in the water by the fishing guide I was helping. Chaffeys had a mill when the Rideau Canal was built.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
QuietSign, I'm going to do two thing different tonight

-Put on the Knightsbridge dual-strap loosely  then lie down and adjust the straps (last night I put the KDS on, put on my mask in front of the mirror and then found the KDS slid down on my forehead a little when I lay down to sleep)
-Put on my brand new LARGE N20 mask, lie down and adjust the straps.  Then I'll turn my S10 on. It has a larger headgear.  I'm hoping that the magnetic clasp at jaw level is well away from the straps on the Knightsbridge. My Medium N20 mask was just refurbished with a brand new headgear=short straps.

Hope this helps....
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
QuietSign that worked.

Changes:
-New mask. Used a LARGE ResMed N20 that's brand new.
-Clip stayed on; it's completely clear of the Knightsbridge Dual Strap. I need a larger headgear to go over the Knighstbridge, all 4 straps stayed on

-I lay down, and put the Knightsbridge on
-Did up the two straps lying down.
-Knightsbridge didn't slip down my forehead all night; it stayed in place

-I did up my mask straps lying down

Got a good night's sleep! Shorter though. (Taking the Jeep in to solve a steering problem!)

QuietSign hope you had a good night's sleep too!

I didn't answer your question:
"Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. Can I ask if you were in a similar boat of having a cpap machine that wasn't quite working well, prompting a switch to a Resmed? "

I have a new apap machine. It's a ResMed Autosense for Her. It's the only apap I've had. Previouosly I used cpap machines, for 35+ years. I followed the suggestion of wonderful posters here; I never considered any brand but ResMed.
Hope this helps.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 237 5 hours ago
Last Post: Akaharu
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 141 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 120 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 224 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 631 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] TiredFGO - Treatment Thread TiredFGO 1 125 03-30-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 143 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.