Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Elbow or swivel on S9 Autoset
Elbow or swivel on S9 Autoset
I am newly diagnosed with severe OSA, and now am choosing the device I hope will be best for me. In considering the S9 Autoset, I have a question for any other user of this device regarding the location of the hose outlet on an attached humidifier: (1) Do you find the location convenient, and, (2) can you attach a swivel or elbow (I am not sure of the correct description) to enable you to direct the hose sideways rather than backwards? Any help would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Elbow or swivel on S9 Autoset
(03-04-2012, 07:45 PM)JumpStart Wrote: I am newly diagnosed with severe OSA, and now am choosing the device I hope will be best for me. In considering the S9 Autoset, I have a question for any other user of this device regarding the location of the hose outlet on an attached humidifier: (1) Do you find the location convenient, and, (2) can you attach a swivel or elbow (I am not sure of the correct description) to enable you to direct the hose sideways rather than backwards? Any help would be appreciated.

I have my machine on the nightstand next to me and the hose coming out the back of the H5i has enough flex that I'm able to route it up behind and over the headboard and down to my #431 Fisher & Paykel full face mask, the post on the head board keeps it from slipping off but I'm sure you'll be able to work something out if your headboard isn't the same as mine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the S9 and find the rear exiting hose is no problem, just leave a gap behind the night-stand for the hose. I would add, if you are buying this machine be aware of a slight problem several users including myself have reported. On pressures of 10 cm and above, a slight whistling noise can be heard on exhale from the S9. Just Google 'Resmed S9 noise' for info. Apart from that the machine is brilliant.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, BigJohn2 and Hackitt, for your info. Rather than a bedside table, I have a built-in bookcase, and the vertical side of that bookcase leaves little room for a routing as suggested. I also sleep on the right side of the bed, which means the humidifier (and tubing outlet) would be farthest from the bed. And my inital pressure, per the sleep test, will exceed 10 cm. Oh well. Sad Much to consider before returning to launch point, as was said in a popular 60s sci-fi show.
Post Reply Post Reply
I keep my unit under the bed and run the hose up through the headboard and then down the middle of the bed. This necessitates a standard 10 foot hose, though I suppose you could connect two 6 footers.

Can you drill a hole in the side of the bookcase and route the hose that way?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
The placement of the device under the bed would not work for me. I am - blessed? - with a menagerie consisting of both cats and dogs. The area under my bed is free of hair and related ditrius for perhaps 15 minutes following each thorough vacuuming. I can only imagine both the absolute necessity for, and the short life of, a filter in that environment. It would be measured in minutes!

A hole in the end of the bookshelves?? Hmmm. I would have to think about how that would work, and, of course, then consider obtaining approval from the area supervisor (my wife). As one who has yet to use CPAP other than in the sleep test, it is difficult to fully accept that this will become such a part of my life as to validate possible major and irrevocable changes.

There is a cabinet below the bookshelves, and it is possible that I could incorporate some sort of lifting shelf (if I can find such hardware), which would enable me to raise and extend the shelf out of the cabinet for use, and lower the shelf into the cabinet during non-use. Anybody have an idea about that, and where I could obtain the hardware?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2012, 02:28 PM)JumpStart Wrote: There is a cabinet below the bookshelves, and it is possible that I could incorporate some sort of lifting shelf (if I can find such hardware), which would enable me to raise and extend the shelf out of the cabinet for use, and lower the shelf into the cabinet during non-use. Anybody have an idea about that, and where I could obtain the hardware?

You could get one of the keyboard shelves/tray that some online stores sell; I used to have a keyboard tray, at work, that slid out (from under the desk top) and lifted up to the desired height.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great idea, bobg1946. I believe I may have found some hardware to do just that, although it will be necessary to switch from a wide width and narrow depth (such as for a keyboard), to a narrow width and deep depth to fit a narrower cabinet. I will see if I can find it in stock anywhere - the manufacturer I found currently reflects they are "oversold". What I located is similar to the hardware for kitchen mixers which are below countertop, in a cabinet, and swing up for use.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think that you could find what you are looking for ...adjustable shelf...at any hardware store that sells kitchen cabinets. There are all kinds of extendable and adjustable shef kits available now. Even a set of drawer slides mounted on each side of the shelf wouls let you pull the shelf out and then push it in after you are finished sleeping.

Good Luck! Don't worry about the CPAP ...I've had mine for a while now and it doesn't bother me at all to sleep with it. It took some time to get the right mask ( for me Swift FX nasal pillows) but after that it was great!!!!

tombarelybreathing
anything worth doing is worth doing well...sleeping included...sleep well friends Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2012, 07:45 PM)JumpStart Wrote: I am newly diagnosed with severe OSA, and now am choosing the device I hope will be best for me. In considering the S9 Autoset, I have a question for any other user of this device regarding the location of the hose outlet on an attached humidifier: (1) Do you find the location convenient, and, (2) can you attach a swivel or elbow (I am not sure of the correct description) to enable you to direct the hose sideways rather than backwards? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, that is a really stupid placement of the hose outlet.

By the way, the large power brick is also a minus for some (in case you haven't noticed that yet).

But, I think that the other pluses of the S9 AutoSet offset those "deficiencies".

I also have learned to live with the placement of the hose outlet because I also route the hose behind me & over my head.

Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 348 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 12 5,545 10-29-2023, 05:48 AM
Last Post: yankees123
  Need help with F20 Airfit leaks (elbow?) jaytee80 4 1,275 09-22-2023, 02:42 AM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Question Popping noise from Resmed elbow Proth 1 667 09-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 32 12,517 07-26-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: snorin2
  All of a sudden rainout after years of use and now Condensation in Mask & Elbow only. HMG7450 17 2,446 05-09-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.