Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Electric Muscle Stimulation?
LAUP
(09-21-2014, 12:43 AM)manofsan Wrote: What about laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty (LAUP)?

I was just reading about this a few minutes ago, and it's said to be less stressful than other surgical procedures. Gee, I figure if some of my flesh is in my way, then it needs to be removed.

What is the anatomical/physiological difference between people who do suffer from sleep apnea and those who don't? Do some of us have slacker muscles in some places, or just more fatty folds of tissue in some places, or what?

Furthermore, I'm 44, and have been suffering from this for the past couple of years now. Why is it happening now, when I've never had the problem before? I assume it's because I'm getting ever fatter as I get older -- is that a reasonable conclusion to make?

I did make the misguided decision to receive the LAUP procedure several years ago to treat OSA. Aside from the fact that it didn't provide any benefit, it significantly complicated by ability to use CPAP therapy due to the resulting 'velo-pharyngeal insufficiency' - a failure of the separation between the nose and the mouth. I can provide more details if you are interested. I strongly advise against LAUP. Don't let anyone mess with your uvula.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Electric Muscle Stimulation?
Why would I let someone hack out part of my anatomy when I can get equal or better results from a simple external device? Any surgery involves risks. With the invention and dissemination of CPAP devices why would you not choose that as the first approach? Once you've had a piece of your body hacked off you can't grow it back...
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Equipment] Climate Line Tubing and Electric Field Kafka82 2 863 04-21-2022, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Is Combination Therapy PAP and Implantable Stimulation at same time a thing? kpmccue 0 436 03-31-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: kpmccue
  Inspire Hypoglossal Nerve Stimulation device Rgn3 5 1,400 02-03-2022, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hypoglossal nerve stimulation INSPIRE cronkster 2 637 11-08-2021, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is anyone using any of these muscle stimulators for the throat? SleepFoo 0 494 10-19-2021, 10:50 PM
Last Post: SleepFoo
Question [Treatment] Upper Airway Stimulation treatment Roman73 0 490 05-08-2021, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Roman73
  Vagus nerve stimulation, central apneas, reflux and hiatal hernia could be related? weiss27md 9 1,558 03-15-2021, 11:08 PM
Last Post: JoeyWallaby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.