Electric stuff - Odd connector/adapter failure
OMyMyOHellYes Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics 560 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Respironics System One (no heated hose)
CPAP Pressure: 08.0-15.0 cm/H2O
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Electric stuff - Odd connector/adapter failure
Odd connector failure - last night I got in bed and all was well for about two minutes. Then everything got reeeeeeeeeeal quiet and still. No air coming out of hose. Machine dark. Power supply and PWRgate seem online. Battery seems online. Unplug/replug all lines and PowerPole connections. Plug machine lead directly to battery. No dice. OK, must be continuity problem in power lead to machine or hopefully not internal problem with machine itself? Time to go to run continuity test on power lead.

Remove power lead, take it to my desk and find multimeter. Outside barrel (gnd) continuity fine. No continuity on center (pos) center connector. None. Dead. Wiggling stuff no work. Now the power lead from the PWRgate terminates in a 5.5x2.5mm DC coax barrel connector. The PR 60 Series input is a 7.4mm barrel plug. (could not find a line terminated in 7.4 mm connector with heavy enough wire - 18 to 16 AWG - when I set this up - could get a ready made 14 AWG wire terminated with 5.5x2.5 mm so decided to use that). I have a solid adapter between them. When I removed the lead from the adapter, the line itself and connectors show good continuity, but the little adapter is deader than snot on the inside (pos) connection. This puzzles me as the adapter bears no strain and is not normally subjected to any movement. There was no surge or extraordinary load (<1.0 A) at the time of failure. But somewhere inside the solid one inch long adapter, the line or connection broke. Go figure. Have another on the way today from Kalifornia (different manufacturer/design - labeled for 7.5 A) and also finally found a two wire, 16 awg line that natively terminates into the 7.4 plug So that is also on its way from around the world so I will be able to do away with a separate adapter and go straight from the PWRgate to the unit.

I know I have a second adapter somewhere, but I couldn't find it at midnight last night or this morning thus the order for new one. I dug out the factory power supply to finish the night and all was well. The whole failure thing was just a slight inconvenience and a curiosity.

OMMOHY
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2016 10:26 AM by OMyMyOHellYes.)
06-14-2016 10:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: Electric stuff - Odd connector/adapter failure
Hacksaw the adapter open to look for a failure. If you find it, photograph it.
I bet the shell is plastic or a rubber like material -- a hacksaw might be overkill.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2016 10:56 AM by justMongo.)
06-14-2016 10:55 AM
OMyMyOHellYes Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics 560 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Respironics System One (no heated hose)
CPAP Pressure: 08.0-15.0 cm/H2O
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

went as far as I could whittling it with a utility knife. soft rubber sheath came off fine. whittled down the hard plastic core and found the soldered wire connecting the outside barrels. Then kept whittling but the problem center connector remains firmly embedded in hard plastic. I don't feel like whittling any more... Maybe I could burn it off with a torch, but that would destroy any solder connections inside ....

OMMOHY
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2016 11:27 AM by OMyMyOHellYes.)
06-14-2016 11:25 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

I wonder if the plastic would dissolve in acetone?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-14-2016 11:30 AM
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

OMyMyOHellYes,
Do you have access to a Dremel with a small abrasive disc?

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
06-14-2016 11:33 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
RedCoPete Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift LT
Humidifier: ResMed S9
CPAP Pressure: 6-20 (usually below 8)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP since 1999. Type II diabetic, AFIB. Yeah, I'm a wreck.

I'd guess the inner leads were spotwelded together, then encapsulated in the hard plastic. I've run into some shaky welding, or sometimes the plating has only a passing acquaintance with the substrate. Makes for some interesting connections.

In my IC failure analysis days, the you could dissolve plastic with either fuming nitric acid or concentrated methylene chloride. I've worked enough with both to want to keep them far away. The latter can be found as paint stripper; you should look for the cans with suspicious bulges.
06-14-2016 12:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Climate line hose vs mask - adapter to connect? Beej 4 133 12-08-2016 05:57 PM
Last Post: Beej
  failure to record 2nd part of night Beej 10 290 12-03-2016 02:08 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Equipment] Respironics blower failure SleepyinMTL 2 141 12-03-2016 12:52 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Oxygen adapter on CPAP hose PaulaO2 6 512 08-29-2016 12:00 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Is anything above an AHI of 0 considered a failure? slumberland 16 947 08-14-2016 08:57 AM
Last Post: dontwantapnea
  Flashair SD poor connection to router after power failure Roy289 5 276 08-06-2016 12:54 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Dreamwear ?s and stuff mhelen 1 355 07-28-2016 01:11 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape