Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Elevated Hypopnea But Everything Else is Good. But AHI is High as a Result
Elevated Hypopnea But Everything Else is Good. But AHI is High as a Result
Hey Apnea Board,

Sure glad to have found a place like this on the web. I have been using my DreamStation the last two or three months - and sleep is like wonderful now.  I started with an AHI of 26 or so, and it has come quickly down to about an AHI of 8 or 9 each night.

The problem is that 95% of the AHI events are Hypopneas. Unless I have a leak, I almost have no RERA, CA, OSA and PB events - mostly just the Hypopnea.

I am using an AutoPap set from 4.0 to 20.0 and my typical 90% pressure each night is 11.5 cm or less.

I am having a consistent 40 - 80 Hypopnea events a night.

How do I get these reduced down?  Is it simply a matter of adjusting my DreamStation pressure?  Or is that moot since it is an AutoPap?

Chart from SleepyHead is attached, of an example day.

Thanks! Coffee 
Akhenaten33

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Elevated Hypopnea But Everything Else is Good. But AHI is High as a Result
I think I'd try bumping the minimum pressure to 8cm and see if that helps.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla Walla - just got the instructions on how to change that and raised the lower AutoEnd to 8.0.

I look forward to seeing what results I get tonight.  Would love to get an AHI of like 3 or less.  !!!

Excellent, thank you very much,

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, 8-cm minimum pressure and your events will drop under 2 AHI.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks

OK, I bumped up the min pressure to 8.0 and had my AHI drop to about 7 or 8, then to 8.5 and had it drop to 3 or 5 pretty consistently.  Then finally bumped it up to 9.0 over the last week. My AHI has been anywhere from 1.2 - 3.99 since.  Based on the graph, I am reluctant to go any higher on min pressure

No discomfort, and I really cannot tell any difference between 8 and 9 physically - but it did take my AHI down even further.

Here is last night's where I got an AHI of 4.0

It just looks like the machine's response does not exactly match the events...

A33

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree I don't understand why it increased pressure at time 4:40? I would expect to see snores or a flow limitation event there but it shows nothing.

I'm kinda of curious what would happen if you reduced your flex setting to 1.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I had tried my Flex setting at 2 and 3 but did not like it as much - so it is already at 1 this latest 2 months of activity. I feel more comfortable with a touch of backpressure when exhaling.  But maybe I should give it a shot at a Flex of 2 or 3??
Post Reply Post Reply
But my breathing rate chart puts my mind at ease.

My wife used to shove me and say "You have not taken a breath for at least a minute" in the old days, without a machine. And upon falling asleep still, I will suddenly rouse inside the first 15 minutes and realize that I have not taken a breath in like 30 seconds or something.

But what I see is that this is a phenomenon which only occurs for the most part right when I go to sleep and right before I awaken. Otherwise I am at about 18 breaths per minute - it is almost as if, when one is fully asleep, a different ANS routine takes over from the daytime ANS breathing.

Is this common to start the first 15 minutes of the night with a low breathing rate and then step into a normal one as soon as one is fully asleep?

A33
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried it without flex?
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2018, 05:08 PM)Akhenaten33 Wrote: <snip>
Is this common to start the first 15 minutes of the night with a low breathing rate and then step into a normal one as soon as one is fully asleep?

Yep, sadly, yer jus' like the rest of us!  (Well, there are exceptions but yes, that's typical.  Makes sense, right?)

Oh!  And I din' mean yer exactly the same – unlike me, for you, there's hope.   Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 72 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,034 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 703 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.