Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Elevated numbers with new machine
Elevated numbers with new machine
I have been using a DreamStation CPAP since August of 2018. I was diagnosed with mild Apnea after developing Afib and my average AHI since then has been controlled to an average of .7. Recently, through the recall, I received and began using the DreamStation 2. I’ve noticed that since then my nightly AHI total has been averaging above 1. None of those numbers are a cause for great concern so my question is more about my understanding of how different machines may work. Also, this is not intended to be a review of the two machines. My question then is can different machines record the AHI numbers differently of has something in me actually coincidently changed since I began using the DreamStation2? Or, is one actually more effective than the other in providing therapy. Thanks for any info
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Elevated numbers with new machine
Different manufacturers (ie ResMed and Philips) are likely to report different AHIs. Not because they have different criteria to measure AHI, but they have different algorithms and responses for treating Apnea and their indicators.

There also might be differences between models from the same manufacturer, but probably pretty close.

The slight difference between your DS1 and DS2 could also be explained by slight differences in your settings, minimum pressure and flex.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I change machines my AHI changes a bit. Sometimes. But it's always temporary. It's most likely the different algorithms that the machines use to adjust the pressure. It takes your body a few days to get used to the change.

It's important that everyone understand that we are talking small changes in the AHI. Like from 1 to 2. Nothing of any clinical significance.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. The SD card from the DS1 was put into the DS2 so there shouldn't be any changes in the settings. I have been using the DS2 for over a month.
Post Reply Post Reply
Putting the SD Card that was used in the DS1, into the DS2, doesn't transfer the settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, the DS2 uses encryption on its files, the DS1 doesn't.  It is good practice to reformat the SD card prior to changing machines.  This will eliminate any possibility of data being corrupted because of a stray file.  

Encore Pro could create a configuration file (encore.txt) on the SD card for the DS1.  However, the DS2's data files are not compatible with Encore Pro.  So, if you happened to have this configuration file for the DS1, in may not work on the DS2.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2022, 07:27 AM)Dog Slobber Wrote: Putting the SD Card that was used in the DS1, into the DS2, doesn't transfer the settings.

Thanks. How did my DS2 have the same settings as the DS1 when I began using it ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Did the DS2 come from Phillips or your DME? Your DME may have set it up before sending it to you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One or two ways to have your DS2 with the same settings. One, they were adjusted by your DME prior to shipment, or they were wirelessly adjusted by Philips when you turned it on.

For your knowledge; The DS1 used the "encore.txt" file as the configuration standard. No matter what changes you made, when you restarted your DS1, it would look for that file and override your settings. This file would not get erased from the SD card automatically. In order for the CPAP to retain your adjusted settings, you have to delete this file. As far as the DS2, I wouldn't have a clue what filename it may use.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 353 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 212 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 605 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,017 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,157 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Numbers are better but I feel worse LikeaGlove90 2 510 09-24-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: LikeaGlove90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.