Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Elevation/Pressure Question
Elevation/Pressure Question
Went camping this past weekend. Elevation was about 4,500 feet above sea level. My home location is only 35 feet above sea level.

Was wondering if normal settings would have needed to have been altered slightly due to the decreased air pressure.

I noticed that for the first time, my 95th percentile number was very close to my max range setting and also, I reached my max setting on the two nights while experiencing the higher elevation.

Searching back through the months of data, these were the only two nights I've had these "max" numbers recorded.
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Elevation/Pressure Question
Todays machines compensate for elevation to about 10,000 feet or so. You should be fine at 4,500.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2014, 12:39 PM)Bama Rambler Wrote: Todays machines compensate for elevation to about 10,000 feet or so. You should be fine at 4,500.

Good to know, thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Operating altitude http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...er_eng.pdf
Sea level to 8,500’ (2,591 m)
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent! Thanks, Zonk!!
Post Reply Post Reply
In terms of the data, one or two nights' worth mean very little. But it could just be different bed, different position. You may have been more tired, more intoxicated, more full of food and fun so you slept harder and/or deeper.

I've noticed that when I go visit my brother, I sleep lighter for the first few nights and my AHI drops to wonderful levels. But then I get used to the noises and new bed and get used to all the goofiness we do (we don't drink but we are exceptionally stoopid despite that) and the food we eat and how late we eat it and all that stuff, my AHI skyrockets.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2014, 07:45 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: In terms of the data, one or two nights' worth mean very little. But it could just be different bed, different position. You may have been more tired, more intoxicated, more full of food and fun so you slept harder and/or deeper.

Well, the different "bed" was def an issue! "Roughed it" in a tent and let's just say, uncomfortable would have been a major upgrade (the old body can't take that like it used to!).

Yup, didn't put much stock in 2 days of data, was just curious if elevation had an impact on the set pressures and if the machine compensated. AHI stayed relatively the same, just noticed pressures maxed for the first time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Central Sleep Apnea at high elevation knuddr 24 2,350 02-09-2024, 07:41 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,296 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,647 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Pressure] CPAP Pressure, CA's, and elevation GuyScharf 2 436 11-03-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  [Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure Dawna 13 880 10-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 602 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.