Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Elevation or just coincidence?
Elevation or just coincidence?
I know we've discussed elevation before but I have a personal experience I am curious about.

I live at about 2500-2800ft and have for 20yrs. My family live in NJ which is barely above sea level. I just spent a week in Minneapolis which is about 800ft.

I got home early this morning, hooked back up the CPAP, and put on the mask. First thing I notice is I have trouble breathing out against the pressure. It was very noticeable. Then I realize that I never experienced that while in Minneapolis. BUT, I slept very poorly, waking up many times (as in about 6 - 10 times) each night which is very unlike me. I woke up with my chest pounding and generally just not feeling well. I wish I had taken my oximeter!

The only other difference is I was using a brand new mask (I use the Breeze and the DME had sent me a new one just prior to me leaving) and had not put on the side straps to the headgear. Not that it really does anything that I am aware of but it is a variable. Might have caused leaks but each time I woke up, the mask was not noticeably leaking. Since the headgear for the Breeze is very rigid, I don't think it would have pushed off the nose and I would not have noticed the pressure as much. But, like I said, it is a variable.

When I visit my brother in NJ, I don't sleep as well there, either, but certainly don't wake up ten or more times each night.

So I was wondering if elevation or possibly location had anything to do with it. I don't see how but the pressure difference was very noticeable. I actually had to take off the mask for a second and readjust to it. That's not something I've had to do in a very long time.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Elevation or just coincidence?
I'm interesting in seeing folks' opinion on this. This is one of those times where having a data-capable machine that works with ResScan or SleepyHead would have been invaluable.

I'm pretty sure that the S9 Escape has an auto-altitude adjustment on it that should compensate for changes in elevation levels.

Thinking-about

EDIT: did you experience better sleep upon arriving back home? (using the same mask with similar variables?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well unless you took your bed and pillows with you, strike one!
My machine, being the old thing it is, has an elevation setting. Since I live at sea level pretty much and I don't get out much unless it is on a cruise ship, again sea level, I've never messed with it. This tells me that yes, elevation does in fact make a difference. I'm guessing your pressure was too low for sea level. The higher you go in elevation, the less oxygen so the more pressure you need, therefore the lower you go the more oxygen the less pressure you need.....or maybe I have that backwards! At least you are home now and will get some good sleep! Welcome back, we missed you!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
I would doubt that your going to an elevation, lower by only 2000 ft, would cause you breathing problems. On the contrary, I would think if you were acclimated to a higher elevation, you should have LESS trouble at a lower elevation. In any case, I don't think an elevation difference of 2000 ft is very significant.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I wouldn't think it would matter at all. But it was so weird when I put on the mask last night and realized I hadn't felt that the whole time I was away. If the difference had been greater than the, what, 1800ft, then I would definitely say it was an elevation thing.

And yes, I slept a solid ten hours. It was hot, humid, with very little air movement and yet I slept like a log. At the hotel, the room was just the way I like it: cool, quiet, no dogs, plenty of room on the bed. sigh, i miss it already.

If it were just the bad sleep, I'd chalk it up to just being in a different place, which is what I thought it was. And it still could be. Based on this experience, my savings for another machine just increased in priority.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome back Paula - Leak first thing come to mind or something blocking those tiny vents holes
If its one off may be aliens Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
LOL With the group of folks I was hanging out with, I'd go with the aliens.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Central Sleep Apnea at high elevation knuddr 24 2,442 02-09-2024, 07:41 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Pressure] CPAP Pressure, CA's, and elevation GuyScharf 2 451 11-03-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Does a change in elevation require adjustments to the CPAP settings? againstthegrain 13 1,267 11-16-2021, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Could PAP be affected by elevation? clownbell 2 615 07-19-2021, 09:08 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  Head Elevation saltydawg2 6 1,093 06-06-2021, 10:13 AM
Last Post: NannyRobina
  Anyone ever move to a lower elevation for sleep apnea? camrewop 5 1,513 08-30-2019, 09:01 PM
Last Post: camrewop
  [Equipment] Elevation and oxygen qtson 6 1,201 07-30-2019, 10:09 AM
Last Post: qtson

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.