Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Email from Philips offering an "auto-adjusting CPAP" instead of the DS2
RE: Email from Philips offering an "auto-adjusting CPAP" instead of the DS2
Whatever it is, it works great. I feel a lot better overall then I can remember. Wondering if I was getting toxic effects from the foam all this time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2023, 03:20 PM)robsmuir Wrote: I, too, received a replacement Philips-Respironics DreamStation 2 CPAP Auto Advanced. The new device did not include an SD card.

Although there was a box, tape, and a return shipping label, there was no written information instructing me to return my older System One. I'm in no hurry to send the old unit back—given that it's taken eighteen frikken months and a whole lot of hassle to get the replacement. Maybe once my second unit arrives (later this week, I'm told) which replaces my spare APAP, perhaps. We'll see.

I had a System one as well, and between us a lot better and built like a tank...these are just plastic toys for a few years...my advise, I made the mistake to return mine, mainly cause of space...but I have another 2...keep it...I opened my System One and have nothing made of foam to replace...not sure what the problem was...on top, on CPAP setting it won't have all these new sensors messing up the pressure and creating hiccups that you may need to get used to...
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2023, 08:25 PM)sovkiller Wrote: I opened my System One and have nothing made of foam to replace...not sure what the problem was...

The foam in the SystemOne is at the bottom, under the below and air chamber. 
You have to remove the chamber to see the foam.
There a thread on the board about removing it with photos.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2023, 09:28 AM)jtravel Wrote:  Both the DS 1 & D2 are advanced Auto-adjusting Cpap machines. 

If you own a DS1 that is being replaced under recall It's more likely you will receive a refurbished DS1 with New Air-flow path and motor. 

The DS2 has a Auto trial option in the Cpap mode clinical menu that you can set for upto 30 days. It will allow the machine to function as a Auto Adjusting Cpap and at the end of the trial update your Fixed Cpap pressure. 

I received the email, but felt dubious about this sudden "hey, we can send you an auto asap!"  I'm curious about a few of these things jtravel mentioned. 

There's more than 1 kind of DS1.  They made an Auto and a Fixed. The fixed one is what my original sleep doctor tried to sell to me.  After 30 days I pushed back and said I wanted an auto, to which he replied that the non-auto has an auto function that can be used for a max of 30 days (over the life of the machine) and whatever it concludes my ideal pressure is then the machine will just do that fixed pressure. I told my dr heck no, gave him back the machine, and found a new DME who would dispense an Auto.

So is this new auto DS2 (from the email) going to actually be a fixed pressure machine that just has the 30 day auto trial on it?  I certainly do not want that.

Additionally... I love my DS1 Auto as it is.  (I've never used an ozone cleaner with it, and I'm not in a very hot nor very humid climate. So I have no reason to think any foam has degraded in it.)  I'm not eager to replace it unless the replacement is a legitimate upgrade (ie: a newer model). I'd be livid if I got sent a DS1 refurbished.

Are they expecting that we'd mail them our old ones?  They didn't state that in the email.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
I got the same email regarding the replacement of my ancient REMstar Plus, and accepted the "auto" option since Philips was unable to find the prescriptions my doctor sent OR the DreamMapper data from either of my two DreamStation 1s (I never throw anything away  Smile ). A few weeks later I got a shiny new DreamStation 2, full auto (not a CPAP with auto trial).
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."

Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman philosopher, statesman, and political theorist
Post Reply Post Reply
Hydrangea.....

- The DS2 can function in a fixed CPAP mode or an auto APAP mode which will be like your DS1.
- The Auto-Trial 'option' is just that. It can be set to off so it doesn't do anything.
- I received a DS2 to replace my DS1 early in the remediation process. It seems lately more people are getting refurbished DS1's as replacement. Probably a toss of the coin as to what you may receive.
- My DS1 wasn't very old when I received it and same as you I never used an ozone sanitizer. I do agree that the foam if not exposed to ozone likely posed no health issues and it takes a good number of years to breakdown in a normal environment.
- I did send back my DS1 which in some ways I regret as it could have served as a backup machine. I did subsequently buy out of pocket a Resmed AS10 to have as a backup.
-  The DS2 in my opinion works as well as the DS1 I had. A bit less space on the nightstand and looks less like a medical device in the bedroom. I have it on the nightstand 'backwards' so the hose goes behind the beds headboard and the water chamber is in the front.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2023, 08:25 PM)sovkiller Wrote: I opened my System One and have nothing made of foam to replace...not sure what the problem was...on top, 

The foam on the system one is on the very bottom of the case and runs the length & width of the Air channel Path that sits on top.  You must completely disassemble the machine to get to it.     This video will show what is involved in removing it. Please note it is not recommended to do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQnJAF3bm98
Post Reply Post Reply
Auto-adjusting Cpap machine can be used in Fixed Pressure Cpap mode or Auto mode.
In Cpap mode you have the option of a Auto Trial that you can set for several different number of days upto 30. It will find the best pressure for you and then set the fixed pressure to that level at the End of the Auto-Trail mode.
I tried this for 7 days and it did select a good fixed pressure for me. I can also switch to the Auto mode if I like. I have read some discussions where it has been said that the Auto algorithms used are not that Good. The machines are always playing catch up changing the pressure up and down reacting to events instead of preventing them. Some recommend Using a fixed pressure and that Is what I have been testing out. So far the Fixed pressure does seem to work as well if not better to treat my sleep apnea than in Auto mode. I have more issues with leaks and Aerophagia in Auto Cpap mode when the Pressure is increased by the algorithm.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same interaction -"No script" for months - four attempts to give them my doctor's contact info via phone, email, and web (twice). Finally got the "Agree to receive an autoset machine" email. I went on line, clicked the YES boxes and a week later a new DS2 Auto showed up.

I am happy.

ps: To jtravel:
Auto works really well for me -- my trick was to set the base level to something that by itself reduces my apneas to something minimal and let the machine adjust upwards on the bad nights.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,824 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,612 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 301 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,050 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,079 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 373 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Need help adjusting settings cokepi 1 130 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.