Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Embarrassing but weird side affect with new machine
Rainbow 
Embarrassing but weird side affect with new machine
I'm waking up in pain about 3 or 4am my abdominal area is hurting I'm like filled with gas. I take the mask off and I start burping. Excruciating g Lao. Tryi g to stand up vertically to walk to bathroom. Passed gas and burped for over an hour. The pain/pressure in ambdomen / chest area literally unbarable. Had to lay back horizontal for a slight bit of relief. Going to be Calling the sleep center for help but does anyone else have a clue what this is and what's going on thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Embarrassing but weird side affect with new machine
Hi Sweetdreams2013,
Yep, it's called aerophagia. you swallow air when using the machine. There are ways to help get rid of it,
Hang in there for suggestions.
Edit: there is quite a bit of information here on the board about aerophagia.
Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Nothing to be embarrased about, swallowed air has to come out somewhere. Search for Aerophgia, quite common when when starting CPAP but should ease off after a while
Experiment with sleeping positions and Flex setting, 3 provide most relief
Talk to your doctor, lowering pressure might help. Whats AHI, leak, 90% pressure.
SleepyHead link http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-software

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh yeah, it's a common thing. I used to get it each time they did a pressure change. I could sit up and belch the alphabet at least once, sometimes twice! I didn't experience much pain, or at least I was too busy laughing at the belching. Yeah, I'm weird.

Did you just start using the CPAP or have something changed?

There's a few things you can do. The easiest is to raise the head of your bed. Either the bed frame itself or the top of the mattress or a wedge for a pillow. This will help tremendously. Usually this goes away with use. Sometimes the pressure needs to be lowered slightly for a while then raised back up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone so much! Yes I'm new on the bipap machine only had it since June 26. These episodes have happened like 5 times already. I'm going to try sleeping with my head elevated, if that don't help I'll call them and have them lower my pressure I guess. She said it is pretty high (14/10)
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep!

I had it really bad when I first started CPAP. Unfortunately for me, it didn't really cause any belching. Let's just say I had to set aside some "alone time" every morning.
Bag-head

The good news is that the body adapts to the pressure and it usually goes away on its own after a while - it did for me. If it is causing pain though, you should definitely talk to your doc. As Zonk and Paula said, you may have to lower the pressure to ease the symptoms - then, as your body acclimates, slowly raise it back up. Aerophagia is usually harmless, but if there is pain involved the sudden increase in pressure may be putting too much stress on your digestive tract.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2013, 06:46 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Yep!

I had it really bad when I first started CPAP. Unfortunately for me, it didn't really cause any belching. Let's just say I had to set aside some "alone time" every morning.
Bag-head

The good news is that the body adapts to the pressure and it usually goes away on its own after a while - it did for me. If it is causing pain though, you should definitely talk to your doc. As Zonk and Paula said, you may have to lower the pressure to ease the symptoms - then, as your body acclimates, slowly raise it back up. Aerophagia is usually harmless, but if there is pain involved the sudden increase in pressure may be putting too much stress on your digestive tract.

I'm a newbie and my pressure is pretty high so yeah 14/10. My body is totally not used to this yet
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you have been using it for such a short time, don't change the pressure without first discussing it with the sleep doc. Or his nurse (who knows more than the doc does, probably). This is especially important if you are having to show compliance for insurance purposes.

If you are not having to do the compliance game, then try to lower the upper limit to 13 or even 12. It may still take a few days for it to subside, however.

You say you have a bilevel so the 14 is the inhale and the 10 is the exhale? If so, you may also want to drop the exhale down a notch or two as well. Actually, it would be interesting how it goes if you shortened that exhale difference. Do you have a lung issue and that is why you are on a bilevel?

Oh, and 14 is not overly high. It is a high pressure to start out with, though. I'm surprised they started you at that. It would be better if they had started you at, say, 12, let you adjust for a few months, then raised it to the treatment pressure of 14. But then, they aren't paid to think.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2013, 06:31 PM)Sweetdreams2013 Wrote: Thank you everyone so much! Yes I'm new on the bipap machine only had it since June 26. These episodes have happened like 5 times already. I'm going to try sleeping with my head elevated, if that don't help I'll call them and have them lower my pressure I guess. She said it is pretty high (14/10)
BIPAP is different than APAP which first thought what you,re using. Normally people switched to BiPAP if high pressure required above 15 and/or having problems with aerophagia. This is for your doctor to sort out, I,m in the opinion, no need to be any higher pressure than necessary if lower pressure can get the job done ... AHI below 5
Post Reply Post Reply
How do I check my AHI on there
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 403 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 190 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 257 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 397 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,660 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.