Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Emergency battery options
RE: Emergency battery options
[attachment=34541]When you buy a power supply like the Golabs I posted above in has a built in inverter.  

We don’t care about the inverter cause it’s more efficient to run our cpap machines off battery power.

An inverter use power to convert 110 volts to battery power.

So we buy a converter cord that converts a 12 volt battery to a 24volt Resmed cpap machine.

You can buy a converter cord on Amazon for $36 and it plugs into the power supply then to the cpap machine and your set.

Like I said above on a 300 watt Golabs power supply. I get 4 nights @ 8 hr. with the humidifier turned off.  I still fill the tank and get a little wet air but the hot plate is off.  

And the total weight is 8 lbs.   Hook up a solar panel and your good to go that route also.

. This style plugs into the Golabs but I think you can get others
Post Reply Post Reply
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077TW...UTF8&psc=1

I ended up getting this adapter for the GoLab battery I linked to earlier. Think it will work?

I know this topic has been done to death in the past but I want to come away with something that works and doesn't cost $700.00 like the dedicated battery.
Post Reply Post Reply
You do realize that is an AC to DC power supply and not the DC to DC one? That is exactly like you have now for your Resmed.

Here is the one I was talking about, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RQP7G14?psc=1
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I didn't know that altho I wondered why I needed it since it was exactly like what I have now. I cancelled the order, luckily.

Do not underestimate my lack of understanding about all this! If I order the linked product, it will work with the battery I ordered...? I assume so but I want to be sure, and then I can stop pestering people about this.

Thanks for all the patient help.

All I want to do is:
--plug the battery into the wall socket to charge it
--plug my cpap machine into the charged battery

apparently things are not so simple and I still don't understand why, really, there is so much conversion from AC to DC involved, and which devices require it and when, on input or output or both.
And why in the world I would need a CAR adapter for this device?

No need to explain it all!! if the battery I ordered and the converter work, that's golden! all I need to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whats probably confusing is that the converter cord is a DC 12 volt to DC 24 volt.

Your Golabs battery supply is 12 volt DC and then you have to Bump that up to 24 volt DC to operate the cpap machine.

The only time AC will be used is when you charge the Golabs with the included charger that will come with it. And that will be from your wall AC to the Golabs 12v battery DC.

Clear as mud?
Post Reply Post Reply
!2 to 24 volts is just another factor that I didn't know about.

I was born confused.

anyway, the converter that Crimson Nape links to is available. You also seem to have recommended that converter. If I buy it, I'll have everything I need to make the battery work with my Airsense 10; and to charge the battery to begin with, because the battery comes with its own charger. Correct? Nothing else needed? On amazon, the converter shows two plugs that look like they fit into the cigarette lighter of a car. what's that about?

phew.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2021, 07:55 PM)hegel Wrote: !2 to 24 volts is just another factor that I didn't know about.

I was born confused.

anyway, the converter that Crimson Nape links to is available. You also seem to have recommended that converter. If I buy it, I'll have everything I need to make the battery work with my Airsense 10; and to charge the battery to begin with, because the battery comes with its own charger. Correct? Nothing else needed? it shows two plugs that look like they fit into the cigarette lighter of a car. what's that about?

phew.

I don’t think your Golabs has a cig. Lighter socket, so you need an adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/GOLABS-Charger-Adapter-Portable-Station/dp/B08QMV56MY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=golabs+socket+adapter&qid=1628471772&sr=8-2
Post Reply Post Reply
https://www.amazon.com/GOLABS-Charger-Ad...772&sr=8-2
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still perplexed.

Why is this so convoluted? This all requires and adapter for the battery that itself requires yet another adapter???? when does it end?

Always I end up ordering the wrong thing and then nothing works.

I cancelled the battery order. Too many ways for this to go wrong. Sorry to bother several people with this. You've been very helpful; hopefully I'll have learned enough to succeed next time out. this is all on me; again, apologies.

I just can't seem to solve getting a back up battery for my cpap for when the power goes out short of spending $7u0.00 from Supplier #1 and for all I know that battery's just as complicated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are a few facts that may help the electrically challenged.

If you are in North America the outlets in your wall provide 120 volts, 60 CPS AC; 'AC' = alternating current, that switches positive and neutral back and forth at 60 times per second (60Hz).

The battery in your car provides 12 volts DC; 'DC' = direct current, where the positive is always positive and the negative is always negative.

Ordinary household appliances, (including your PAP machine), can be plugged into the wall outlet and run directly on its AC. However, some household appliances, including your PAP machine, actually run on 12 or 24 volts DC, and use a converter to change the 120v AC from the wall outlet to the 12 or 24 volts DC that the PAP machine runs on. I suggest you look at the power connection to your PAP machine - there is a cord that plugs into the wall, and the other end of the cord plugs into a 'brick.' From the brick to the PAP machine there is another cord. The brick converts the 120v AC from the wall to the 12 or 24 volts DC that the PAP machine needs.

A device that converts AC to DC (like the brick in your PAP machine connection) is called an 'inverter.' Many battery-backup solutions on the market in the US use a 12v DC battery that is internally wired to an inverter, so the output looks like a regular wall outlet and provides 120v AC. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this approach, except for a problem because of the inverter in the middle of the process - inverters soak up about half the power from the battery in the process of converting it to AC. So figure it this way: If you run a 12V DC PAP machine directly on a 12V DC battery (no inverter), the battery will last twice as long (twice as many hours of PAP therapy) as if you connect the same 12v DC battery to a 12v DC to 120v AC inverter and then connect the 120v plug from the PAP machine to the 120v plug on the inverter.

That is why manufacturers of 12v PAP machines sell a cord that can connect directly to a 12v DC battery - no inverter causing loss of battery capacity while converting 12c DC to 120v AC. This is the most efficient solution, but it requires that you own a 12v DC battery and be able to connect to it. That is too much for many people, so other manufacturers make alternative solutions.

The long and the short of it is that if your battery is 12V DC and provides 120V AC power, it has an inverter and you need about twice the battery capacity for the same hours of therapy as those that provide 12v DC and connect directly to the PAP machine with the manufacturer's 12v DC cable. If it goes from 12v to 120v, buy double the capacity.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 167 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 299 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,731 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,030 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 231 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 276 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,565 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.