Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Employment & Apnea
Employment & Apnea
Does anyone else have issues with employers wanting to see the results of the ResScans? My job depends on these reports being good and sometimes it is quite concerning to see numbers I don't like. I also have no index to compare to as to what is a satisfactory level of treatment success. AI or 5? AHI of 5?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Employment & Apnea
Im lucky, my boss has the same as meBigwink

Over here there is no such thing as employers getting involved, its up to you if you tell them or how much you tell them as for an AHI of 5, thats usually the norm these days. An AHI of 5 or below is classed as NORMAL in the uk
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2012, 02:36 PM)Captain Bill Wrote: Does anyone else have issues with employers wanting to see the results of the ResScans? My job depends on these reports being good and sometimes it is quite concerning to see numbers I don't like. I also have no index to compare to as to what is a satisfactory level of treatment success. AI or 5? AHI of 5?

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum!

Gazby is correct: you want the AHI to get below 5.0 if at all possible. AHI below 5.0 is considered to be the cutoff that's used to consider someone as having sleep apnea.

I know that some companies here in the U.S can ask for your medical records if your job risks people's lives if you fall asleep (ie- the trucking industry). There is also talk here about changing DOT rules on this also.

Check out our Wiki Page on AHI, HERE.

If your machine doesn't report AHI data, then you have no way of independently seeing your AHI levels during CPAP treatment. This is why we always recommend that patients get a fully data-capable CPAP machine (either CPAP or APAP) if possible.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2012, 02:41 PM)Gazby Wrote: Im lucky, my boss has the same as meBigwink

Over here there is no such thing as employers getting involved, its up to you if you tell them or how much you tell them as for an AHI of 5, thats usually the norm these days. An AHI of 5 or below is classed as NORMAL in the uk

My VPAP does record (and I review daily) the AHI and AI readings. I'm concerned that lately the AHI readings are a bit elevated (11 to 13) while the AI is good at 1 or less. I'm not sure where to treak except with the mask pressures? Any other ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2012, 12:56 PM)Captain Bill Wrote:

My VPAP does record (and I review daily) the AHI and AI readings. I'm concerned that lately the AHI readings are a bit elevated (11 to 13) while the AI is good at 1 or less. I'm not sure where to treak except with the mask pressures? Any other ideas?

Im in the same boat as you but Im learning to ignore these readings now as it seems that alsorts of things could give you a reading and that includes talking coughing etc. My AHI last night was over 7 yet my AI was 0.1 which for me is very good. I still dont understand why one night its an AHI of 2 and the next its 10 yet the AI is around 0.1, strange lol

Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully, they know to look at long term average....as long as that's under 5, things should be fine. It should be understood that sometimes you might have a bad night....like you got a cold or the flu, always causes a spike in hypopneas for me.

Being able to download and display full data can be helpful though....because then you can see when the hypopneas occur and see if there might be something else at play. Like it might show you also had large leak, you might come to realize that the mask you have isn't suited for side sleeping, but during the night you're rolling onto your side....(it might not even register as a large leak, but the leak graph line goes up during the time...)

The Dreamer.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2012, 08:47 AM)Gazby Wrote:
(03-06-2012, 12:56 PM)Captain Bill Wrote:

Im in the same boat as you but Im learning to ignore these readings now as it seems that alsorts of things could give you a reading and that includes talking coughing etc. My AHI last night was over 7 yet my AI was 0.1 which for me is very good. I still dont understand why one night its an AHI of 2 and the next its 10 yet the AI is around 0.1, strange lol
Last night was 13/3.8 and that continues to concern me. Since it's variable pressure that registered 22. My ResMed card gives reports but I can only access those on the screen, I don't have any software to read the graphs that it gives the Dr.'s office.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,848 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,885 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,526 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.