Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Newbie thinking of shifting from oral device to CPAP
Newbie thinking of shifting from oral device to CPAP
Retired Navy with sleep studies while on active duty.. resisted CPAPs for years then started using a Silent Guard oral device for the last 8-9 years. I think it is time to try a CPAP, especially as I see much better machines than from when I retired in 2000!

Questions:

1. I am a side sleeper; recommendations on a specific style of mask?

2. I have Tricare; any issues getting devices/supplies? I have seen a couple of DME companies online who state they are Tricare "experts".

3. Anything else I should be on the outlook for?

Thank you very much in advance!!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie thinking of shifting from oral device to CPAP
(10-31-2015, 08:24 PM)FloridaVet Wrote: 1. I am a side sleeper; recommendations on a specific style of mask?

Mask is affected by lots of factors, this is just one. I use a CPAP pillow that allows me to sleep on my side with any type of mask.

Quote:3. Anything else I should be on the outlook for?

I recommend an auto-adjusting bi-level machine.

Check this out:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome FloridaVet
I'm side sleeper too and been using Activa LT nasal mask for the past 5 years but mask choice is personal, what works for one, not necessary works for someone else. Matter of trail and error, everyone is different

You'll need get in touch with Tricare, they might not refund for on-line purchases and might have some selected DMEs on their approved list. Also they may request a new sleep study if been some years since your last sleep study
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi FloridaVet,

WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you start your CPAP journey, hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings FloridaVet;

Thank You for serving!

And, welcome to the club.

If it has been more than a year or two since your last sleep study I would suggest that you get a new study done; which the DME and insurance would probably insist on anyway.

I sleep on my side a fair amount (I think) and have had no problems using my ResMed Swift LT for Her mask system. I just mush the pillow a bit and I am fine. There is a similar mask system that is not For Her, so no need to worry about that. Though the size of the mask and nasal pillows is what is important, not the name.

I don't know if your part of Florida gets hit with power outages (think, during hurricane season) but if you are at all concerned about power backup I personally would recommend the PR System One series. The APAP I have requires a more expensive 12 volt adapter (around $80) while my hubby's PR APAP 12 volt adapter was around $30.

Please update your status as things change!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR Abletree 17 4,052 04-04-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 113 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 191 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 174 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 502 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 193 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 286 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.