Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Napping in the car
RE: Napping in the car
Not a medical professional here, but I see three possibilities. One is apnea. Two is acid-reflux. Three is continued production of saliva due to the angle that you are sitting at. You can do something about two of them. Not sure about the 3rd unless you can lower your front seat (I used to climb into the back seat in these circumstances).
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2017, 06:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: As I mentioned before, and reinforced by HalfAsleep, post-nasal drip and obstructive apnea seem to go hand in hand.
I don't know how to explain it, but I get very disrupted napping without CPAP, and this is part of it.  Yours seems more mild.

Yep. Like this. I especially like the "hand in hand" wording and not necessarily one causes the other. I'm thinking the mucus drops land on the same fleshy bit in the throat that causes obstructions.

I also agree about the "this would be less of a problem with xPAP concept", but sometimes you just gotta pull over. IMO they need to make xPAP's as an option when you buy a new vehicle.... Or at least a plug-in with a niche, like you used to have to do with a fancy radio. It could be powered by an extra battery in the engine compartment.

Spare xPAP concepts are expensive....

Simply Saline....thin the mucus if you don't have a spare xPAP lying around somewhere?

--------
There are more evidence-based grounds for linking GERD with apnea (IIRC), but Morpheus doesn't seem to have GERD.
Post Reply Post Reply
More ideas to minimize the cough-let when you are napping in the car and don’t have an xPAP handy.... a spritz or two of chloraseptic; a cough drop. Both of these anesthetize the throat. No throat tickling. (IME, they work great for nausea, too.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Napping with my CPAP ksvaughan 7 1,064 04-16-2022, 09:37 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Pills so I can stop napping? sleepytimegal 7 1,875 02-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Last Post: TurdFerguson8675
  Napping?? Deux123 8 3,768 07-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Peter_C

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.