Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed a10
Humidifier: Air sense autoset
CPAP Pressure: 11cm
CPAP Software: Not using software ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Endep dry mouth
Hi all. Was doing great with. My CPAP . Until my endep dosage went up. I was taking endep for sleep and nerve pain in my neck.i can hardly use my CPAP , endep makes your mouth really dry. And CPAP added well.....even using special mouthwash .to retain the moisture in my mouth it's not enough .i can't use nasal ,,,,nose is always stuffy. Frustrated.....
02-18-2016 03:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: Endep dry mouth
Hi pauls poison,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Are you using the humidifier? If so, you might need to turn it up a couple notches. A lot of medications cause dry mouth, you should mention this to your doc if you haven't already done so.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
02-18-2016 11:41 AM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Wow Paul, sounds like fortune has you in a corner. I can empathize. I have been fighting with dry mouth for a long time and some of my propensity for dry mouth, I think, is caused by some of the medications that I take.

First a question. Are your mask leaks well controlled both in terms of data and leaks that you can feel? Second, I use a chin strap along with my full face mask some of the time to help with the dry mouth. With a FFM your therapy is preserved from mouth leaks, since it no longer causes a loss of pressure but you can still get mouth leaks that affect your dry mouth.

The best way to prevent mouth leaks is to use your tongue to seal your mouth off from your airway by pressing it up against the roof of your mouth. The trick is maintaining it while you are asleep. A chin strap can help with that endeavor.

I have found that the gel type of dry mouth medications work a little better for me. I have tried Orajel and it works well for me. Biotene makes a gel as well as their other dry mouth products. There are other brands that I do not remember.

On to stuffy noses, which I have suffered from too. I have recently tried a product recommended by Daria Vader called Xlear (pronounced-clear). I found that it kept my stuffy nose at bay and also seemed to reduce the tendency for me to get dry mouth. Xlear is a combination of saline with a little Xylitol. I managed to find it at my local drug store but it can also be purchased from Amazon. I also use nasal saline rinses on occasion.

I hope there may be some help for you somewhere in my ramblings.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
02-18-2016 02:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
eseedhouse Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

"Endep" is a brand name for a first generation tricyclic antidepressant, also branded "Elavil", generic name Amitriptyline.

If you are taking it for depression there are newer antidepressants out there that don't cause such bad side effects. If you are using it for sleep there are better sleep medications out there, too. Or at least ones that don't cause dry mouth.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
02-21-2016 12:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Something New - Dry Mouth Bubster 3 310 10-15-2016 07:39 AM
Last Post: 49er