Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

English Grammar question
Obviously, "he" refers to Washington. Cool

What is the context? Do you want to know what it means from a technical grammatical sense, as in a classroom course or legal document, or do you want to know what the author meant?

In terms of what the author meant, it could be either Steve or the governor. In terms of grammar, it's still probably somewhat uncertain.

In a real world situation, you presumably would have some other clues about what's going on. The two sentences by themselves aren't all that relevant if you don't know more about Steve, the governor, or the contract.

In either case, "Steve" makes more sense, but it's not clear to me.

In terms of technical grammar, the colon doesn't seem correct, anyway. Is that an upper case or lower case colon?

Sometimes, it's just unclear. "Lizzy told her mother that her sweater had a hole in it." Is the hole in Lizzy's sweater or in her mother's sweater?
Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all. I guess I'm not going to find out what this author intended. There's really no other text in the article that indicates either way-- Steve or the governor.

The two sentences are a paraphrase from an original legal document that the author wrote a while ago to describe some events. The events may establish a legal precedent which may affect some issues that some friends of mine may be facing. I wish I could offer more background, but I can't.

Thanks for the help!

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2015, 01:07 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: My English grammar abilities are very lacking....

I have a question for some of you who are better at grammar. Please read the following two sentences:

"After one year, Steve moved to Washington: and the employees of the governor destroyed his house. Then he agreed to abide by the contract."

The question: In the 2nd sentence, who is the word "he" referring to? Steve or the governor?

Dont-know

Could Steve and the Governor be one and the same?
Coffee
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

(03-18-2015, 06:37 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Could Steve and the Governor be one and the same?
Coffee

Yes, if the statement were taken on it's own, it could very well be. But from the other text in the document, it's very apparent that they are two separate people.

But, yeah, that would work if these sentences were stand-alone statements.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
I can't read anymore of this stuff. I'm too upset.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was aching to interject what OpalRose suggested. Steve, the governor, moved out of his house to go to Washington. But, he still had an agreement to lease the home for 8 more months. His employees, giddy with delight that he had moved on, had a wild party. This party basically wrecked the house. However unlivable the house now was, Steve still chose to honor his contract.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

You can bet your sweet bippy, if the Government was involved they would deny it and put the blame on poor Steve.

Maybe he shouldn't have moved to Washington.

Oh-jeezDont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps "Steve" is also the "governor".
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply