Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Enhanced driver's license.
RE: Enhanced driver's license.
(09-22-2019, 03:40 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: "Deutschland über alles"   Rolleyes

I'll stick with my un-real ID, thank you very much.  If that means they're not going to let me in a federal building or on a commercial aircraft, then so be it.  I'll stick to walking, driving a car, riding a bus or a train.  But I suppose they'll want me to have what they consider to be a "real" ID for those travel modes as well, eventually.  Either way, I'm not going to submit to any further violations of my freedoms, and when they demand I provide "proof of my existence" and demand I pay them even more of my hard-earned money to obtain their "real" ID paperwork so that I can exercise my rights and personal freedoms to use which ever mode of transportation I choose, that's where I draw the line.  Not.  One. More. Inch.  I'm sick and tired of big government's intrusions into my life.

And it's not simply this one issue of "real ID".  Multiple governmental intrusions now encircle just about every area of our lives.

Some say "We have no choice!"... well, I'm sorry, but there is a choice to be made.  You either accept further tyranny and intrusions into your personal life in order to "go along with the government" in hopes that their promise of additional "security" is worth it -- or you do not.  Remember, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" as Franklin put it.

Restricted travel for those whom the state sees as "undesirable" or "non-compliant"?  Didn't the Jews experience that sort of thing in Nazi Germany?  "You're a Jew? Well then, I'm sorry, but you'll need this identity card along with the proper papers to travel.  Here's a Jewish star you must wear when traveling in public so that you can be properly identified".  And then later on, Jews weren't even allowed to travel at all, even if they did have "proper" ID & paperwork... unless that "travel" was a one-way ticket on a train to Auschwitz, Bełzec, Chełmno, Majdanek, Sobibor, or Treblinka.

I am a free man and I will always be free until I'm six feet under.  Freedom to travel within my own country without being harassed by a Nazi thug... er, I mean a "TSA agent" demanding "papers please!" is one freedom I will never give up willingly.

9-11 and resulting Patriot Act have destroyed this country.  We did it to ourselves by allowing government to restrict the freedoms of otherwise peaceful, law-abiding citizens under the guise of preventing criminals & terrorists from doing bad things.  These new "laws" have little real effect upon the criminals and terrorists - those evil people are (by definition) law-breakers, so no amount of law-passing will change their evil behavior.   The only thing such laws accomplish is an erosion of the U.S. Constitution in the name of "public safety" and a restriction upon the rights of otherwise innocent people.

I swear, some of my own countrymen have forgotten what it means to be an American.  For those who think this is only about the new "identity papers" (ie- "Real ID"), then you haven't been paying attention.  Perhaps you've been busy during the last decade.  Perhaps you're like that frog in the frying pan - it all happened so gradually that you still haven't noticed that here in the U.S., we're sitting in the midst of a fire that may seem relatively cozy and comfortable right now... until the heat is turned up on high and we get burned to a crisp.

It's time we grow some hair on our legs and tell tyrannical, over-intrusive government to jump in a lake.

As for me?

I WILL NOT COMPLY.   Dodgy

So if I get Real-ID, I have to shave my legs?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I'm no fan of the "Real ID" at all. But, I am a retired federal employee and although I don't anticipate needing to go into a federal bldg. and/or enter onto a federal facility, it could pose a problem w/o the enhanced version. 

For now, I'm just going to wait and see. I'm in no hurry and I have plenty of time to decide.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2019, 04:55 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: So if I get Real-ID, I have to shave my legs?

Only if you need less wind resistance when riding your motorcycle.   Grin

(09-22-2019, 06:09 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm no fan of the "Real ID" at all. But, I am a retired federal employee and although I don't anticipate needing to go into a federal bldg. and/or enter onto a federal facility, it could pose a problem w/o the enhanced version. 

For now, I'm just going to wait and see. I'm in no hurry and I have plenty of time to decide.

I'm not faulting anyone for getting a Real ID.  I understand that without it in some occupations, it will make things very, very inconvenient, or even financially painful.

I'm sure it will pose a problem for many of us, soon enough.   Each of us must decide for ourselves at what point the abuse becomes a line-in-the-sand for us personally.

"Real ID" (as it currently exists) isn't the end of the world in and of itself.  It's just the tip of the iceberg as far as what is planned for down the road.  Having friends in the industry, I hear them talk openly about where all this microchip/Internet-of-Things/RFID technology is headed.  And while now these things are voluntary, it will increasingly become more and more inconvenient to not use these technologies (and most people will simply give-in to them due to increasing social, government and economic pressures),   But the goal is to ramp it all up to eventually become mandatory in the state & federal government, and the medical & financial services sectors. 

The problem is that mandating such technologies gives government near absolute control over your every move, and if you're suddenly deemed an "enemy of the state" because you no longer conform to the government's idea of a "politically correct" citizen with the right amount of "social credits" in their database, all they have to do to get you "back in line" is push a button, and all of a sudden, your benefits are gone, you can't get medical care of any type, and you can't buy or sell.  People who are developing the technology know this is indeed where things are headed.  The first steps of this model are currently being beta-tested in China now with their "social credit system".

Imagine George Orwell's 1984 world, but with the advanced technology we have today.  Or Adoph Hitler on steroids, with complete control over all financial transactions, able to track you wherever you go, or deny you medical care because the government deems you the equivalent of a "Jew" back  in the 1930's.

Centralization of power and control never ended well in history, ever.  And with the "wonderful tool" of modern information & database systems, smartphones, microchips and RFID technology, this next time it will have world-wide consequences once governments figure out a way to mandate the use of these technologies to control their citizenry.  At that point there will be no where to hide.  Dissenters will simply be starved out.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
Real ID is required for CDL licenses. In FL you don't have a choice. Every renew is a "real ID". It was painful when my wife had to get hers. In addition to getting a certified copy of her birth certificate, which cost money, every single name change from marriages / divorces had to have documentation. There has to be a "certified" trail of every name change. Good news is, you only need to do that once. Next renew is just pay the fee, get a mug shot. Waiting for them to introduce fingerprinting or DNA, blood, urine sample. Oh and base your driver's license fee on your credit report like they do car insurance premiums.  Rolleyes

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
What I've learned about Real ID so far:

I'm glad I don't have CDL anymore, I'm declassified Class A

It sounds like another botched Big Brother trashing of a system that used to sorta work

SS has trouble telling us how he really feels about this

Like it or not, if I want to fly to other countries like Idaho, Arizona, Florida, etc. I guess I'll need one of these...

My suggestion is a name change from Real ID to Real Pain ID.

Coffee
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2019, 06:57 AM)AlanE Wrote: Real ID is required for CDL licenses. In FL you don't have a choice. Every renew is a "real ID". It was painful when my wife had to get hers. In addition to getting a certified copy of her birth certificate, which cost money, every single name change from marriages / divorces had to have documentation. There has to be a "certified" trail of every name change. Good news is, you only need to do that once. Next renew is just pay the fee, get a mug shot. Waiting for them to introduce fingerprinting or DNA, blood, urine sample. Oh and base your driver's license fee on your credit report like they do car insurance premiums.  Rolleyes

My credit score is very high. It usually averages about 830 or so. I don't see or know of any reduction in my insurance rates. 

Maybe they do take it into consideration, but they've never mentioned it to me. Next time I need to speak to them, I think I'll ask and see if it does make any difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anything above like 750 (depending on whether they want to ding you for a higher rate) is considered excellent credit = low risk. Though I do know of people with excellent credit who have wrecked their cars. At least they can get a decent rate on their next auto loan.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I stay around 825 and this was my car last year at this time when someone ran a stop sign.  This did not affect my rates.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7565]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Ow. That probably hurt a bit. That crash I had in 2001 was bad enough to bend the frame on my 1994 GMC S15 Jimmy. The other guy was in a flatbed Dodge Ram. When we tangled horns I think he won.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2019, 09:34 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: SS has trouble telling us how he really feels about this

Pray for me, Dave.  I have trouble expressing myself in public settings.  Just too shy, I guess.   Bigwink Too-funny
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] IRS Among Agencies Using License Plate-Tracking Vendor ApneaNews 0 956 04-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Last Post: ApneaNews

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.