Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Enlarged turbinates, and mild positional OSA, advice?
RE: Enlarged turbinates, and mild positional OSA, advice?
It is just a string with two knots on the end. Long enough to wrap from one cheek to the other. I put tape over one end of the string right before the knot then wrapped the string around my head to the other side. I did the same thing with the tape and put it right after the knot on the other side of my face. The string was just long enough to open my nasal cavity so that it made breathing easier. 

I can say I did have minor success but I started to get worried I was stretching the tissue and making the situation worse in the long run. 

I am at a loss how to deal with it outside of waiting for surgery. I use saline periodically and otc decongestant I try to avoid. I average about 7 hours of sleep a night but it’s broken and I feel tired the next day. 

I am still open for any suggestions or help if anyone has it. I have used dillators, the aforementioned contraption, breath right strips, raised head of bed, positional devices, mandibular devices, humidifier, and now doing an elimination diet.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am now about 6 yrs into cpap; successfully treated, but I need high enough pressures that it is a struggle. I have tried AlaxoLito stents, and can say that these stents for the nasal cavities work. The longer of these goes through the turbinates. I initially could only insert the stent part way on one side due to constriction, but after a while ( don’t remember, but maybe 10 days), I could get the stent all the way in. The first few times I inserted the stent were eye wateringly difficult, but once I got used to them, there was nothing to it. For me, the stents allow me to reduce cpap pressures by 1 cm h2o - so i’ve obviously got issues deeper in my airways.

At any rate, it seems to me that the stents are worth a shot prior to surgery option. Know that you need to be committed to getting over those first few very uncomfortable insertions. More than a week trying during the day just to get your nasal cavity adjusted to the presence.

Best of luck

Dick
Post Reply Post Reply
Bkeeper, you don't have a therapy thread and have not posted an Oscar chart. Could you post a before and after stend, of your nasal obstruction flow rate? It may be useful to see closeups of the flow rate you had before using a nasal stent vs current.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, Sleeprider, I can post. Right now I am not using the nasal stents; i’ll do a before and after in a week or 2. It has only been since I recently switched to Bleep that I could titrate with the nasal stents. I guess I should start my own therapy thread, yes?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2022, 02:38 PM)BKeeper Wrote: Yes, Sleeprider, I can post. Right now I am not using the nasal stents; i’ll do a before and after in a week or 2. It has only been since I recently switched to Bleep that I could titrate with the nasal stents. I guess I should start my own therapy thread, yes?

Great idea. Sounds like you have found mask bliss.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cblink19, I have a very similar problem to you and have tried just about everything. I have avoided using anti-allergy sprays as I don't want to get hooked. One thing that has been really helpful is the Intake breathing device (https://www.intakebreathing.com/), which is basically like a nasal strip but uses magnets and so much better. This helps to really open up my nose. You don't have to buy the refill packs of the little metal discs, but instead, just reapply with tape. I do this every night and it helps significantly get airflow. I have the issue that my nasal passage is always fairly congested, I have a massive collapse of my soft palate and I chin tuck, which means everything blocks off really easily due to my positioning in sleep and the negative pressure from my nose. I am currently using CPAP, resmed 10 autoset, and experimenting with pressure, and it has helped tremendously, I think you should try hiring one to see if it helps. But the other thing that has made a massive difference is a soft cervical neck collar to stop the chin tuck... this has been a bit of a game changer. I can really relate to your experience and how you have been feeling during the day, it is simply the worst... hang in there... I won't say I'm having amazing sleep, it varies day to day, but it's so much better than it was.

I have a shower before bed and do a neti pot. I have a slight dust allergy which doesn't help matters. Fresh air is very helpful, but not always easy to get inside. The CPAP can dry you out a bit, I use humidification at max and I still have trouble. But yeah, at least functional now and with the help of people on this forum, have made some really good improvements. Hope that helps a bit!

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello
I have had recent success with seeing a naturopath. Apparently immflamation wasn’t a possible solution to my issue but surgery was according to the three ENTs I have seen.
I started seeing a naturopath and he prescribed a nose spray for my nose to help remove any possible bio film and hence reduce immflamation. The spray contained luigols iodine.
It has worked. I have been symptom free for weeks now. I would suggest going through all
before doing a CPAP and definitely surgery.
I wanted to share my good news and hopefully make people aware of a possible solution.
Good luck everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Cblink19, would you mind telling me the name of the nasal spray? I'm in a very similar situation to you; ENT also told me I have enlarged turbinates and have struggled to find a  solution, trying out a bunch of random interventions and also CPAP to limited avail.

Btw I just searched up online for luigols iodine and its wikipedia page has no mention of it being used in nasal sprays; also, it states that it may lead to sleep problems and depression with longer term use. Is this of concern to you? In any case, I'm desperate for anything, so I'm still interested in using that nasal spray, at least for a few nights!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 178 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,553 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 332 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 471 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 295 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,034 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 517 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.