Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows?
RE: Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows?
I've been using the P10 since, um, November-ish... so about 4 months, max.

There has definitely been a change to my nostrils.

Maybe it depends on how much tissue a person has there to begin with. I'm female, with delicate features. (and there is no undue pressure against my nose)

This really isn't too surprising. I had a broken nose repaired and a nose job at the same time. I always suspected that something pressing on the nose would make a difference (based on my experience with rhinoplasty). If my plastic surgeon were still around, I would have asked him.

It's not that big a deal though. I'm much happier having my brain functioning again!
Post Reply Post Reply
As soon as you wake up go look in a mirror. But you better have some place to sit down close by. I did that once. Well on second thought don't do that. My nose has indeed gotten bigger with nose pillows. Wider. I also have groves around the back of the head from the headgear. No It's not on to tight. 19 years on cpap. Even most doc never heard of sleep apnea back then. It really doesn't matter. Have to use the machine!

I smell everthing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess it just depends on how elastic your skin is. Mine is bigger and I'll never convince my parents to switch to nasal pillows. Ever time I do the just stare at my nose! Such as life! I think surgery to repair a large nose would be cheaper than surgery for sleep apnea. And who really likes their nose. Change it later anyway. I don't know.

It will never be that bad!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if this is the right thread, or if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I notice the left side of my nose collapses a bit more than I ever noticed. Now.. could this be because I was a lifelong "mouth breather" until I started CPAP? Maybe it's been this way for years and I just noticed as I'm breathing with my nose throughout the day.

Keep in mind, I went through the initial feeling of "shortness of breath" the first two weeks of using CPAP during the day with what I can only describe as the feeling of... forgetting to breathe? Perhaps my body being confused about breathing with my mouth or my nose? I never felt like I was going dizzy, or I was going to fall. Just a simple oh yeah, take a deep breath to catch up.

So, anyway, I'm two months into CPAP with an N20 mask and I just can't help but obsess over my seemingly collapsing left nostril. I notice my breathing is a bit harder through the left nostril, and both nostrils flare open a bit. It's not like the collapsing gifs people have posted, so maybe I'm OK? The nostrils flaring open seem to happen when I stare at myself in the mirror. Am I causing it because I'm looking for it to happen? It's not consistent, if that makes any sense.

Hmm?
Post Reply Post Reply
Punkrockcholo, the "collapsing" feeling of your nostril could be lateral side wall (or nasal valve collapse).  If you try to take a deep breath and it sinks inward and decreases the breathing space, this could be it (I have been seeing an ENT have similar issues with both nostrils and taking deep breathes).  Do a search on nasal valve collapse.  There is a test for it also.  

Breathe right strips (or equivalent) and those thimble-shaped silicone rubber nasal dilators have helped me a lot in regards to this.  I have tried just about all of them and prefer the softer ones and not the metal ones since they can irritate the sensitive inner lining of my nasal passages.  I have seen your charts in your therapy thread and they look pretty good.  

I hope this helps.  And to the OP, it seems like any nasal pillow cushion would help to dilate the inner passages of the nose (if pillows can be tolerated).
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 252 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 348 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 366 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 903 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 467 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 840 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 493 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.