Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows?
player Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed A10
Humidifier: Resmed A10 Autosset
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: It's a... mad world...

Sex: Male

RE: Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows?
OK so I switched to a nasal mask, Whisper I think. Any idea how long if ever until my nose shrinks back to normal?
06-06-2016 11:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

This guy used a nasal pillows system for several years... I think he's still waiting on getting back to normal... (more info here) Bigwink

[Image: Henry-Waxman-Nostrils.jpg]

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

06-06-2016 11:33 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Maybe he didn't read the directions on his chin strap. Thinking it was supposed to be used to keep his nasal pillows mask in place, he wrapped it under his nose instead of under his chin. Dielaughing

Now, if we could just figure out what made those ears so big. Eat-popcorn

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-07-2016 12:42 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
player Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset For Her
Mask Make & Model: Resmed A10
Humidifier: Resmed A10 Autosset
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: It's a... mad world...

My nose is happier now with the nasal mask. But the mask is cumbersome in comparison...
06-07-2016 04:08 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(06-07-2016 12:42 AM)Sleepster Wrote:  Now, if we could just figure out what made those ears so big.
He obviously wrapped the headgear strap around his ears instead of his head.

06-07-2016 06:08 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

Sex: Female

(06-01-2016 01:54 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote:  There are people here who will suggest this means you are using too small a nasal pillow size. That the pillow shouldn't go IN the nose at all, but sit ON it.

When they give me my supplies they say "Oh, you look like a small". After trying that for 30 minutes, I was suffocating and not getting enough air through the opening. So I moved to a medium. That worked fairly well for a year.

Glad to hear someone else mention this. I could easily be using the small size pillow for my P10 mask, but I have always felt like they don't let in enough air and feel a bit almost sob wearing it. So I switched to the medium.

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
06-09-2016 06:14 PM
BadGoodDeb Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 for Her
Humidifier: no
CPAP Pressure: 8 (testing 7.8-10)

Other Comments: New to AirSense 10 and AirFit P10, but 4 years on prev unit

I've recently been trying the large, to try out the "it doesn't have to go IN your nose at all" theory (some here say this) [edit: oh, I said that before, didn't I?]. I am amazed at how much more air I get! It also usually dries out my congestion, which even the medium never did. [edit: oh, I said THAT before too! Well, my moral is new Wink ]

Moral: don't pick a size because it looks cute and dainty!
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2016 06:35 PM by BadGoodDeb.)
06-09-2016 06:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

(11-16-2015 05:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  I have been doing this since 2008 and get pretty long service out of nasal pillows. We're talking at least 6-18 months. I never have had the replacement frequency you're talking about, more like, when I think of it. I only have 3 right now, and two of them will be a year old next month.

Yours is not an AVERAGE experience. I run into problems with pillows at about 1.5 months - they start collapsing on one side. I boil them once which extends them sometimes 3 weeks.
06-10-2016 10:35 AM
BadGoodDeb Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 for Her
Humidifier: no
CPAP Pressure: 8 (testing 7.8-10)

Other Comments: New to AirSense 10 and AirFit P10, but 4 years on prev unit

(06-10-2016 10:35 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  
(11-16-2015 05:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  I have been doing this since 2008 and get pretty long service out of nasal pillows. We're talking at least 6-18 months. I never have had the replacement frequency you're talking about, more like, when I think of it. I only have 3 right now, and two of them will be a year old next month.

Yours is not an AVERAGE experience. I run into problems with pillows at about 1.5 months - they start collapsing on one side. I boil them once which extends them sometimes 3 weeks.

Agreed -- mine start getting fluttery edges after about 1.5 or 2 months. Then I start getting leakages.
06-10-2016 11:44 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
FormerFed Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autosense
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Respironics DreamWear
Humidifier: HumidAire
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

My nose, after my sleep study/titrate night with a nasal pillow mask, was definitely not the same nose I came in with. Not that I was looking for that kind of trouble, either - it caught me completely by surprise when I was dressing to go home. They told me in a "humor the crazy lady" sort of tone that it looked fine to them, and anything I thought I was seeing might be just a redness, not actual swelling or stretching, and anything I thought I was experiencing would be temporary so not to worry. I did not end up w/nasal pillows, though, so cannot testify to any of that one way or the other. By the time I was speaking w/the respiratory therapist to set me up with a prescription for the CPAP gear, the doctor (who had not yet even seen me or spoken to me) had written the exact type of mask I should have. But the therapist asked how I liked the mask I'd had at the study. I mentioned to her I slept fine w/it but had an unhappy nose the next day. She said, "well, good to know, let's not go there," and had me try on a DreamWear mask. Air is delivered out of an opening in a soft piece that is sort of the shape of a small crescent roll, cradles right underneath/against your nose, cannot possibly go inside your nose. I've found it very comfortable, very quiet. Sleeping on my side, it has been a bit of a trial & error process to find the right tensions over the top of my head and around my face so that I don't cause it to slip too far out of place when I move around, but am now in good/low leak ranges fairly consistently. If I tried to describe what it is, how it works, I'd not do it justice - maybe you'd like to do some Internet surfing, get a look at it, read how it works?
06-10-2016 06:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] Advice on transitioning from pillows to FFM? Strat0caster 8 210 12-02-2016 10:58 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question AHI Higher AFter Switch from Nasal Pillows to Full Mask Sleepypokey 8 499 10-26-2016 03:07 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Looking for Recommendations on Lightweight *Nasal* Mask (no pillows) Dreams of Green 16 742 10-24-2016 05:20 PM
Last Post: TheDuke
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 21 1,776 10-18-2016 06:02 PM
Last Post: Rcgop
  Opus 360 Nasal Pillows holden4th 1 202 09-29-2016 05:33 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  ResMed Airfit P10 Pillows HL649 6 829 09-20-2016 07:54 PM
Last Post: Hope2sleep
  [CPAP] Nasal swelling while using pillows Wellington 5 309 09-14-2016 07:47 PM
Last Post: Wellington