Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows?
RE: Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows?
OK so I switched to a nasal mask, Whisper I think. Any idea how long if ever until my nose shrinks back to normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
This guy used a nasal pillows system for several years... I think he's still waiting on getting back to normal... (more info here) Bigwink

[Image: Henry-Waxman-Nostrils.jpg]
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe he didn't read the directions on his chin strap. Thinking it was supposed to be used to keep his nasal pillows mask in place, he wrapped it under his nose instead of under his chin. Dielaughing

Now, if we could just figure out what made those ears so big. Eat-popcorn
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My nose is happier now with the nasal mask. But the mask is cumbersome in comparison...
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2016, 12:42 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Now, if we could just figure out what made those ears so big.
He obviously wrapped the headgear strap around his ears instead of his head.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2016, 01:54 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: There are people here who will suggest this means you are using too small a nasal pillow size. That the pillow shouldn't go IN the nose at all, but sit ON it.

When they give me my supplies they say "Oh, you look like a small". After trying that for 30 minutes, I was suffocating and not getting enough air through the opening. So I moved to a medium. That worked fairly well for a year.

Glad to hear someone else mention this. I could easily be using the small size pillow for my P10 mask, but I have always felt like they don't let in enough air and feel a bit almost sob wearing it. So I switched to the medium.

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've recently been trying the large, to try out the "it doesn't have to go IN your nose at all" theory (some here say this) [edit: oh, I said that before, didn't I?]. I am amazed at how much more air I get! It also usually dries out my congestion, which even the medium never did. [edit: oh, I said THAT before too! Well, my moral is new Wink ]

Moral: don't pick a size because it looks cute and dainty!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2015, 05:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have been doing this since 2008 and get pretty long service out of nasal pillows. We're talking at least 6-18 months. I never have had the replacement frequency you're talking about, more like, when I think of it. I only have 3 right now, and two of them will be a year old next month.

Yours is not an AVERAGE experience. I run into problems with pillows at about 1.5 months - they start collapsing on one side. I boil them once which extends them sometimes 3 weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2016, 10:35 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote:
(11-16-2015, 05:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have been doing this since 2008 and get pretty long service out of nasal pillows. We're talking at least 6-18 months. I never have had the replacement frequency you're talking about, more like, when I think of it. I only have 3 right now, and two of them will be a year old next month.

Yours is not an AVERAGE experience. I run into problems with pillows at about 1.5 months - they start collapsing on one side. I boil them once which extends them sometimes 3 weeks.

Agreed -- mine start getting fluttery edges after about 1.5 or 2 months. Then I start getting leakages.
Post Reply Post Reply
My nose, after my sleep study/titrate night with a nasal pillow mask, was definitely not the same nose I came in with. Not that I was looking for that kind of trouble, either - it caught me completely by surprise when I was dressing to go home. They told me in a "humor the crazy lady" sort of tone that it looked fine to them, and anything I thought I was seeing might be just a redness, not actual swelling or stretching, and anything I thought I was experiencing would be temporary so not to worry. I did not end up w/nasal pillows, though, so cannot testify to any of that one way or the other. By the time I was speaking w/the respiratory therapist to set me up with a prescription for the CPAP gear, the doctor (who had not yet even seen me or spoken to me) had written the exact type of mask I should have. But the therapist asked how I liked the mask I'd had at the study. I mentioned to her I slept fine w/it but had an unhappy nose the next day. She said, "well, good to know, let's not go there," and had me try on a DreamWear mask. Air is delivered out of an opening in a soft piece that is sort of the shape of a small crescent roll, cradles right underneath/against your nose, cannot possibly go inside your nose. I've found it very comfortable, very quiet. Sleeping on my side, it has been a bit of a trial & error process to find the right tensions over the top of my head and around my face so that I don't cause it to slip too far out of place when I move around, but am now in good/low leak ranges fairly consistently. If I tried to describe what it is, how it works, I'd not do it justice - maybe you'd like to do some Internet surfing, get a look at it, read how it works?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 80 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,782 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 402 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 488 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.