Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows?
RE: Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows?
FormerFed a lot of us are familiar with the DreamWear mask. I myself have it although I prefer my P10's. They stay on easier when rolling over in bed and need less re-adjusting. I really like the hose connection at the top of the head with the DreamWear, however I get a higher leak rate and higher AHI using that mask. So I use it as I have the past few nights when I am really congested as it seems to allow for more air availability.

Oh, and MosquitoBait and GoodBadDeb I have been using the same nasal pillow for my P10's since I believe January 7th 2016. I am not lucky to have replacement coverage like many on here do. I have a once a lifetime $1,000 which is almost 80% used up already, and I only begun this journey since September. So I will wear the pillows as long as I can, in fact I have just ordered a new one to have at the ready.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Will my nose go back to normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2016, 12:35 AM)player Wrote: Will my nose go back to normal?

How do you know it ever left normal? Or if it did, that it hasn't already?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My nose was straight to the end. Now it looks bulbous, and my nostrils look flared...

1 year nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
cate1898,
P10s? Thanks for sharing, its is helpful to hear from someone who has "been and done" exactly what I'm here and doing! Have been a happy warrior trying to get to a perfect resolution with DreamWear, but what you write has me thinking that maybe I'll need to try another approach, maybe I've hit as close to "perfect" as I can get. Since starting to use this equipment, I notice when I was first getting used to it I did not sleep well but my numbers were good. As I got used to it, I began to sleep soundly again but now I push the mask askew on my face as I move around and that's a problem. Have been cycling through the same routine with mask & headgear adjustments, so it might be time to start looking at something else to see if another design will translate into a more secure fit even if a less comfortable hose connection.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2016, 08:49 PM)cate1898 Wrote: ... I prefer my P10's. They stay on easier when rolling over in bed and need less re-adjusting. I really like the hose connection at the top of the head with the DreamWear, however I get a higher leak rate and higher AHI using that mask.

I also like to have the hose connection at the top of my head, primarily because it makes it easy to turn from one side to the other without waking up to adjust the mask or hose position. Fortunately I found a way to do that with a P10.

The P10 mask is worn under a ruby chin strap, which might better be described as a soft whole-head harness. The end of the heated hose is attached to the chin strap above my left temple using a simple velcro loop, which attaches directly to the surface of the chin strap without any need for an adhesive. The heated hose is routed through an otherwise empty pillowcase placed under my regular pillow and emerges through a hole I picked through the seam in the center of the top edge of the empty pillowcase. That way there is never any tension on the hose of my mask, and the chin strap reduces the tendency of the P10 straps to move out of position while I am sleeping.

The arrangement works so well that I can shift my position several times during the night while I sleep, including turning over and even sleeping on my back sometimes, without causing significant mask leakage.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2016, 02:20 PM)OpineCone Wrote: I also like to have the hose connection at the top of my head, primarily because it makes it easy to turn from one side to the other without waking up to adjust the mask or hose position. Fortunately I found a way to do that with a P10.

The P10 mask is worn under a ruby chin strap, which might better be described as a soft whole-head harness. The end of the heated hose is attached to the chin strap above my left temple using a simple velcro loop, which attaches directly to the surface of the chin strap without any need for an adhesive. The heated hose is routed through an otherwise empty pillowcase placed under my regular pillow and emerges through a hole I picked through the seam in the center of the top edge of the empty pillowcase. That way there is never any tension on the hose of my mask, and the chin strap reduces the tendency of the P10 straps to move out of position while I am sleeping.

The arrangement works so well that I can shift my position several times during the night while I sleep, including turning over and even sleeping on my back sometimes, without causing significant mask leakage.

I use the same arrangement as you except for the velcro loop to hold the hose. I think I have some velcro wire ties somewhere. Thanks for the tip. Thanks

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been trialling a nasal pillow mask for a week and have already noticed that my nostrils look much larger when I remove the mask in the mornings. So far, they seem to be reverting back as the day progresses, but I too am concerned the enlargement might become permanent.  A look at the historical practices of various African tribes clearly shows that continued applied pressure stretches necks and ear lobes. It is more that feasible that nostrils will stretch.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this really  a concern?   Too-funny Laugh-a-lot Dielaughing
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Absolutely! The enlarged nostrils look awful!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 74 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,769 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 485 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.