Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows?
RE: Enlargement of Nostrils by Nasal Pillows?
It may be just me. But I'll take a little larger pair of nostrils over a heart attack, stroke or head on collision because I fell asleep.

My wife is more concerned about my growing belly than my nose. If you stare at your feet long enough they get bigger too.   

Big Grin
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2017, 08:59 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Is this really  a concern?   Too-funny Laugh-a-lot Dielaughing

At my age it's ok.  Our noses and ears and feet etc are supposed to get bigger from now on..  Hell the rest of me has, so why not? 
It might even give me a nice little upturn Tongue

If I was even 10 years younger it might have concerned me a little bit though.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the belly is large enough, it obscures the view of the feet! 

As for the other matter, the choice is not between large nostrils and heart attack/stroke - the choice is between different styles of masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK. If you can sleep as well with a different mask than by all means do so. However if a person gets better sleep with Nasal Pillows than it would make sense to stick with the pillows. There is no one size fits all.

I'm just not a vanity type person I guess.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2017, 07:39 PM)illawarrior Wrote: A look at the historical practices of various African tribes clearly shows that continued applied pressure stretches necks and ear lobes.

But in those practices the stretching devices are left in day and night, you're removing yours every day for about 16 hours or so.

If it's a concern, though, the good news is that once you adapt to the pressure, it becomes easier to switch to a nasal mask or full face mask that covers the nose instead of going inside the nose. They also make masks that fit under the nose and make a seal that way instead of inside the nose. The web site of Supplier #1 is a good place to go to look at different kinds of masks.

Another bonus for me was that when I switched from nasal pillows to a full face mask I didn't have those morning marks on my face. I used to have them every morning and it took about an hour for them to go away. Now I rarely have a mark on one side or the other of my face in the morning and it goes away in a few minutes.

We should have a look at your leak rate graph. Lots of people have mouth leaks and switching to a full face mask improves the quality of our sleep significantly.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2017, 05:53 AM)Sleepster Wrote: ..... They also make masks that fit under the nose and make a seal that way instead of inside the nose. .....

You may also want to try different SIZES of the nasal mask, keeping the same system that you already have.  I've switched up in size so much that my nasal pillows don't mostly go inside my nose.  They sit under the nose, and make a seal with only a small portion of the mask inside the nose. 

I made the switch to "medium" and then up to "large" so that I could get more oxygen through them, since my nose is clogged with "non allergic rhinitus" and has such a small passageway that I couldn't stand the smaller volume of air, that my supplier fitted me with.  They looked at my face and said "small".   That made me feel suffocated right off, so I switched to "medium" within a day or two.   A year later I tried "large" and haven't gone back since.

And it mostly doesn't go in my nose, but under it.   So there's less of your concern about shape changing.  

It might be worth a try, anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is something I also felt might be a concern when I started using the Nuance Pro Gel nasal pillow mask a couple of months ago after having been on a nasal mask before that. Although I think the fit is good -- resting on the outside of the nostrils, not in them -- it just had a nostril-expanding feeling, along with a constant slight upward pressure on the nose, which made me wonder if in the long run I would end up with a flared nostril pug nose.

I was reassured on another forum by longtime nasal pillow users that this is nothing to be concerned about, but I still can't shake the feeling. I will say that a couple of other masks I'm trying give me a slightly different feeling from the Nuance Pro. The P10, although also a nasal pillow mask, doesn't produce such a noticeable sensation; it's perhaps more attenuated by its small size and minimal headgear. The Dreamwear is a fish of a different stripe Too-funny  as it's a nasal cushion and as such doesn't go up against the rims of your nostrils, although it can cause an initial soreness to your columella-philtral angle.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could always ask a plastic surgeon; they'd give you an accurate and informed answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I was thinking of trying smaller - didn't occur to me to try bigger
Post Reply Post Reply
Ohmy 
(11-16-2015, 03:33 PM)OpineCone Wrote: I have been using nasal pillows for 6 months and have become increasingly concerned that my nostrils appear to be gradually stretching.

There are several factors involved here. First, it used to be that starting my CPAP machine would cause my nostrils to inflate a little but resist the expansion, and then a couple of minutes later they would gradually relax to allow a greater expansion. However I have recently noticed that my nostrils no longer resist the initial application of pressure and seem to go immediately to the fully expanded state.

Secondly, my nasal pillows seem to move further into my nostrils than they used to, to the point that they sometimes cause discomfort or soreness. Several weeks ago I contracted a nasal infection which may be related.

Third, I woke up last night in the middle of the night with a feeling that my mask was suffocating me. My attempts to deliberately breathe more deeply were entirely unsuccessful. Eventually I realized that my left nostril was either blocked or severely restricted and I would have to take off my mask. I then discovered that my left nasal pillow had moved so far up inside my nostril that it was causing the blockage. It took a surprising amount of effort to remove it.

I have never experienced anything like this before. The possible causes that occur to me include: something wrong with the nasal pillows or the CPAP machine; an unusual force acting on the pillows mask while I was sleeping; or nostrils that have gradually become enlarged to the point that a pillow can move up inside.

My CPAP pressure settings are unchanged from 6 months ago, and so that is not the issue.

The fact that last night I was able to put the same pillows mask back on, restart my machine, breathe normally and get some more sleep seems to rule out an equipment defect. The only source I could find of a possible unusual force acting on the pillows mask was a minor torsional twist that I observed in the mask tubing and corrected before going back to sleep. And so I am left wondering about the possibility of my nostrils gradually stretching under pressure.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I want to say yes. It really does feel Unsure that way with nasal pillow masks. I might need to get a set of precision calipers to confirm empirically, though, if it's not too late. Bag-head  

[Image: Digital_Caliper_4f1586e3aaceb.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 72 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,757 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.