Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Epr and pressure settings
Epr and pressure settings
If epr is 3 and pressure is 9-13, would a setting of epr 2 and pressure of 8-12 produce similar results?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Epr and pressure settings
Yes it would
Post Reply Post Reply
arithimetically yes. but I'm thinking maybe, maybe not, in terms of efficacy & comfort insofar as epr & maximums are different. while I haven't figured out any pattern to suggest how or why, I can get similar results (e.g., ahi) with a variety of settings. however, I don't think I'm alone in thinking it's best to titrate to the lowest effective pressures & that requires some trial & error.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since epr is in effect when air is expelled and the pressure setting is used when inhaling air then wouldn’t it be more accurate to average the numbers to be equal. Epr of 3 with pressure of 9-13, results in an avg of 7.5-11.5. So with an epr of 2 you would need pressure of 8.5-12.5. Does this make sense?
Post Reply Post Reply
Mathematically, they would average to those numbers. However, you are not inhaling and exhaling at the same time, so averaging wouldn't be applicable to the pressure range. The exhalation pressure is used to keep the airway open. Having a greater inhale pressure aids in reducing flow limitations.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the treatment of OAs it would as the EPAP largely determines OA treatment, and the EPAP value is the same.
For flow limits, hypopneas, RERAs etc. it depends, maybe. You'd have to trial it, not sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason I started this thread was because over the last month I tested several pressure levels with each being a week at a time so as to even out daily anomalies. My best results came in at 10-12, with epr set at 2. Based on my flow limitation numbers I was told that my epr should be 3. So should my pressure be set at 10-12 or something different? Thanks for your responses.
Post Reply Post Reply
Given what you have stated: somehow it was determined your pressure, I'm supposing your high number (to me on an ASV that's IPAP max) is 10-12. You had that paired with EPR 2, and it was suggested you enter EPR 3. Action: change EPR 2 to 3 and do not edit the pressures otherwise. See what happens according to OSCAR.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, Deweym. When you have related issues, it's best to keep them in one thread. For other readers, here's how the advice of EPR of 3 came up:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ure?page=2

Deweym, could you post a daily chart with the setting of EPR at 3? And could you do two things before you take the screen shot: close the calendar (little triangle to the left of today's date) and include your flow limitation graph. You can squeeze in another graph by grabbing the horizontal gray bars between graphs and pushing them up.
Post Reply Post Reply
        I apologize about the thread. I will remember in the future.

Attached are two screenshots. One several days ago with pressure at 7-12 and one last night at 10-12. Both reflect epr of 3.

Your thoughts? I'm thinking of trying 9-12 tonight which might work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,906 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 496 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 432 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 385 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 349 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Smile pleasse help me optimize my APAP pressure settings Swsch2985 2 385 01-14-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Help interpret OSCAR for best pressure settings 444zane3 3 433 01-11-2024, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.