Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Epr and pressure settings
RE: Epr and pressure settings
Since the Resmed AS10 is limited in reducing Flow Limits, at what point should one consider Bi-level machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a good question. Could you post a recent chart and also tell us how you are feeling?
Post Reply Post Reply
    OK. Here's a screenshot. Most day I feel ok. Although I sometimes need to take sa nap in the afternoon.
Post Reply Post Reply
If a bilevel (Vauto) comes available to you at a price you can afford, don't turn it down. I kind of draw an informal line at a 95% flow limit above 0.1 or where the flow limitations routinely drive pressure to the maximum set pressure. Both of those criteria are met in that chart. I assume that your inspiration flow is flattened or downward sloping most of the night?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do I see inspiration flow? I don’t see a chart with that name.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is in the flow rate chart.  You need to zoom in to a 2-minute segment to show the actual shape of the curve. If you repeatedly click on the graph it will zoom in.  The link in my signature for Organizing your OSCAR Chart has instruction. The section on Zooming and customizing images is here http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...al_options   You can make the Flow Chart even tighter by changing the Y-Axis scale.  In your case a minimum and maximum scale of -100 to +100 would be very good.

[Image: Dashed-line.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
    Here is a screenshot you talked about.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Deweym, you might try changing the scale on your flow rate graph to something like +/- 50 or 60.  That will make it easier to see details.  

I'm attaching a zoomed in view of some typical flow limitations I had before I switched to a bi-level machine.  (Ignore the squiggles between breaths.  Those are a phenomenon called cardioballistic artifact, which just means my heartbeat causes little pulsations in my flow rate.)

Flow-limited breaths will usually show a dent in the top of what should be a smooth inhalation curve, or a pointy peak, or a plateau.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
    OK. Here is a revised screenshot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Deweym, your flow rate shows a low amplitude inspiration with a somewhat flat peak, but not very flow limited.  At this time in your full-night chart, you were not experiencing much flow limitation and it was one of the few periods with pressure well below your maximum.  This is not typical of your usual results  I think if this was typical, you'd be fine, but it is the exception.  

It's possible that more pressure suport from bilevel would help you to get a full breath, and likely a bit faster.  I'm sure I mentioned your unusually low tidal volume in the past.  I don't know your height, age or other factors, but that is very shallow breathing.  Whether it is sufficient for you could be established by using a recording oximeter to measure SpO2.  Bilevel would likely increase your respiratory volume if the low flow rates are due to a restricted airway (upper airway resistance).  The fact your flow limitations are chronic and persistent, makes me think a higher pressure support would be beneficial.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21310]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,551 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 362 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 315 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Smile pleasse help me optimize my APAP pressure settings Swsch2985 2 361 01-14-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Help interpret OSCAR for best pressure settings 444zane3 3 400 01-11-2024, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.