Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask
RE: Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask
(01-19-2016, 11:45 AM)nsherry61 Wrote: I've been using the Dreamwear mask for almost three weeks now. My first mask and first xPAP machine.
1) I found leaks drop off precipitously when I put lotion or chap stick on the under side of my nose. That little bit of lube seems to make a surprising difference in allowing the mask to seat well.
2) Most of the noise I get when wearing the mask comes from air blowing on my sheets and pillowcases either out of the vent at the top of my head or the vent on the nose piece. By switching to my flannel sheets and pillowcases, I've almost eliminated that noise source because the flannel is so quite compare to regular cotton sheets.
3) After about three days, I almost quit noticing the mask on me any more . . . unless I turn my head to the side and I don't have lube on my nose, so I get some leaking.
4) Did I say it's amazing how much effect a little under-the-nose lube had on comfort and leaks?

Your summary is great, for me the DreamWear mask has been nothing short of a miracle. There are times I've woken up and had to feel to see if I have the mask on, that's how wonderful it is. And having the hose at the top of the mask and not hanging off my face is INCREDIBLE.

Your point number 2 is the only drawback I've encountered and I've also found that the noise that some complain about comes entirely from interaction with quilt/sheets etc. and can be eliminated with adjustment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the information I gathered and my personal experience, I don't fully agree with Dreams of Green regarding sleeping positions.
In my opinion; CPAP treatment is designed to reduce but not necessarily stop OSA.
Most people do exhibit more OSA events when sleeping on their back than sleeping on the side.
In Ontario, to qualify for funding, the difference must be minimum of 4cmH2O.
With difference below 4, the typical prescription is CPAP with pressure set to whatever is required to bring the AHI to below 5 in the worst case scenario which typically is sleeping on the back.
In such scenario, a person will still experience some events, especially when sleeping on the back and the AHI can be improved by sleeping on the side.

With difference of 4 or more, an APAP prescription will set minimum pressure at or a bit below the minimum pressure bringing AHI to less than 5 and maximum pressure to somewhat above the pressure required to prevent apneas occurring when sleeping on the back. APAP increases pressure as a reaction to an event. Well, if one didn't turn from side to back, likely the even would not happen or, at least not that often.

In both cases, sleeping on the back results in lower AHI yet;
As long as my AHI is low enough to get me a restful sleep, I gladly trade off some of that number for the comfort of sleeping in any position that gives rest to my joints and other parts of my body. AHI = 0 may look great on the screen but that "0" is trully nothing if my whole body aches in the morning.

Again, all of the above is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak and you are free to discuss, disagree or ignore it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since Philips/Respironics have apparently decided to phase out my current mask - the Optilife - I responded to Supplier #1's mailer pushing the DreamWear mask. It just came this morning and I've spent the last 30 minutes wearing it while perusing the internet.

I was a little leary about trying this mask as I haven't shaved since returning from our fall cruise and thus have a full beard. Mask feels good and the facial hair does not cause fitting problems. I guess the real test will be the quality sleep I get tonight.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2016, 11:23 AM)PollCat Wrote: . . . Mask feels good and the facial hair does not cause fitting problems. . .

FWIW: I have a full beard and don't trim or shave around my nose at all and have not had problems with seals. That being said, I did trim and shave a little under my nose a couple nights ago for the first time ever and the seal did seem to be even better, although, probably not enough to get me to shave under my nose on a regular basis.

I hate shaving! Shock
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2016, 10:02 AM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Based on the information I gathered and my personal experience, I don't fully agree with Dreams of Green regarding sleeping positions.
In my opinion; CPAP treatment is designed to reduce but not necessarily stop OSA.
Most people do exhibit more OSA events when sleeping on their back than sleeping on the side.
In Ontario, to qualify for funding, the difference must be minimum of 4cmH2O.
With difference below 4, the typical prescription is CPAP with pressure set to whatever is required to bring the AHI to below 5 in the worst case scenario which typically is sleeping on the back.
In such scenario, a person will still experience some events, especially when sleeping on the back and the AHI can be improved by sleeping on the side.

With difference of 4 or more, an APAP prescription will set minimum pressure at or a bit below the minimum pressure bringing AHI to less than 5 and maximum pressure to somewhat above the pressure required to prevent apneas occurring when sleeping on the back. APAP increases pressure as a reaction to an event. Well, if one didn't turn from side to back, likely the even would not happen or, at least not that often.

In both cases, sleeping on the back results in lower AHI yet;
As long as my AHI is low enough to get me a restful sleep, I gladly trade off some of that number for the comfort of sleeping in any position that gives rest to my joints and other parts of my body. AHI = 0 may look great on the screen but that "0" is trully nothing if my whole body aches in the morning.

Again, all of the above is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak and you are free to discuss, disagree or ignore it.
Thanks for the comments GPSMapNut. Unless I misinterpreted, it seems to me that the part of your comments that I bolded sums up both of our positions - sleep in the position that is most comfortable and allows you to sleep well. I'm not sure where we disagree?

To clarify my earlier comments, it's certainly possible that a person might measure better in one position than another. Which might be the back, or might be the side. But in either case, unless a person is experiencing some real and significant benefit from the position that gives the lowest AHI, sleep in the position that makes you feel best overall.

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, the only thing I disagree about is the "stop" part. Mose hoseheads under treatment still experience some apnea events just like most healthy people do. I suspect that you know that very well and didn't truly mean to say "stop" but some people knew to the treatment may not know it. One small word but, it may be better not to raise expectations to high.

Other than me being unnecessarily picky, we are in perfect agreement.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Correct, when I said "CPAP treatment helps to stop obstructive events" I didn't mean it as an absolute statement, the end result should be that they are reduced to the point that the apnea is under control and a person should be able to sleep in whatever the most comfortable position is for them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,058 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,078 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 230 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 295 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.