Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working
12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working
I am about 12 months in to CPAP therapy. These are all the masks I've tried and why they didn't work. Hoping someone can suggest another one.

Eson 2: mouth won't stay closed, tried cervical collar and mouth taping, not successful. Mouth blows through tape or mouth fills with air or blows open with collar. Wake every hour or so.

Dream wear full face mask. Cant get a decent fit.

Vitera: Bad leaks.

F30: Cant get a decent fit.

F20 airtouch and airfit: actually fits, thought this was the one but constantly causes my nose to itch, tried everything to stop the itch but nothing stops it. Think its the air blowing through mask and drying out my nose. Wake up every half hour or so. 

Thought about the F10 but wondered if I would have the same issues as the F20?

Thought about the Simplus but thought I might have the same issues as the Vitera.

Any help would be appreciated thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working
I've used both Simplus and Vitera. I found out the straps need adjusted in a certain order and never going tight.

As I recall, I used the over head strap first to set the height of the mask, especially the nasal bridge and chin. Next was bottom set then top set. The forehead bar was about half inch away from touching.

Make sure machine is on when you're adjusting mask. What I've done is loosened the straps, leaning back on pillow, hold mask in place, modify finger tension till there's no leaks, remember the feel of that tension then duplicate with straps.

No matter the make and model of the mask, tight ain't right. If you feel you have to go to the uncomfortable tightening range, something isn't correct for you, cushion size, mask itself, incorrect adjustment, etc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's what may sound like an unusual suggestion about mask choice. I'm also a mouth breather and developed serious nose bridge sores when I used the traditional FFM (triangle designs) plus being a back sleeper.
Then I found the Respironics FitLife total face mask which avoids all contact with the nose and allows for as much open mouth as needed/desired. I have been using it for several years now.

My DME recently told me they no longer carry the FitLife because Respironics discontinued it. That proved to be untrue. So, I bought a couple more online.

As a replacement, my DME sent me a ResMed AirFit F30. I've tried it for a couple nights now and found that I can get a good seal pretty easily. To do so, the mask isn't very tight on my face. As Sarcastic Dave mentioned, tight aint right for mask adjustment. Wondering if you measured the width of your nose and tried the small or medium F30, the only 2 sizes it comes in?

David

Certainly agree with Sarcastic Dave's comment about tight aint right for mask adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave and Dawei for tip about not having mask too tight. I try to get it about right, I find that if its too loose though I get leaks anyway, I have struggled with every mask but the eson 2 and f20 to get good fits with minimal or no leaks.

Dawei: I'm not sure what size F30 i used, I just tried that one on in store, I don't think it was even close!

Appreciate the help
Post Reply Post Reply
If I failed to mention, I have had best results adjusting while under CPAP pressure and lying back as close as possible to a sleep position.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So with the F20s you're getting itchiness inside your nostrils or on the skin where the mask touches the bridge of your nose?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  stanleyv28 - Therapy Assistance stanleyv28 23 412 1 hour ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Dalemazkour - Therapy Help Dalemazkour 23 483 10 hours ago
Last Post: Dalemazkour
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 87 1,840 04-25-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  secunix Therapy Thread secunix 0 84 04-25-2024, 02:30 AM
Last Post: secunix
  Second attemp at therapy Jonkier 8 236 04-24-2024, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Jonkier
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 6 275 04-24-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  lisaistired - Therapy Thread and Questions lisaistired 21 1,018 04-24-2024, 01:59 PM
Last Post: dormivi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.