Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] 12 volt adapters
Angry 
12 volt adapters
So ive been on a machine for 12 years or more and I love my machine, but... I bought an adapter ( 12volt ) cigarette plug for camping and travel. They are expensive. I am a resmed user so Ive purchased on for an s8 then an s9, now im on an s10 and so is my wife. There has got to be an adapter for the other power bricks so you can use them for different models, same brand. 85 to 100 bucks is crazy when ive already got two of these that have little to no use. Anyone got a solution or ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 12 volt adapters
In a general sense, as you are a Resmed user, you are pretty much up Schlitz Creek without a paddle.

Resmed has always (at least since the S8) been kind of devious regarding the 12 V adapters.  The S8 was a 12 V machine, but the plug/receptacle was wired backwards from most standard plugs (the + terminal was on the outside of the coax plug sleeve, not on the inside like most all other setups.  And the S8 might just very well crap out if you used a standard plug adapter.  Bonus for Resmed!  You get to buy a new machine from them!

With the S9, they went to a totally different and non-standard plug.  AND they started using 24 V systems.  But the evilness didn't end there.  Even if you got a 24 V battery and somehow got a plug that would work in the socket and wired it up right, the S9 would still be dead.  See, those little minions of darkness made it so that the machine is looking for a signal on one of the other pins in that socket.  And if it didn't see that signal then the machine would not start, even though it had perfectly good power.  Another bonus for Resmed!  You have to buy their $100 USD 12/24 V DC-DC adapter to run your machine off of a battery!  Bonuses all around the Resmed offices!  Yay!!!!!! Same same when they went to the S10.  But, wait, Alex, there's more!  With the S10 they used an even different plug setup!  So even if they had suckered you out of $100 if you had an S9 adapter, you got to buy another new $100 S10 adapter!!!  More executive bonuses!!!  Got those stupid customers to shell out even more money for no good reason whatsoever!

If only there was some other PAP manufacturer out there that respected their customers a little bit and didn't play those games to take advantage of the customers.  A company like maybe PR?  Or DeVillbiss?  That would be cool.....  (One of the reasons I won't willingly buy or use another Resmed product.)
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
might suggest that you just buy a pure sine wave inverter and plug both S10's into that and you wont ever have to worry about DC adapters again. Just a thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
What ever you do, if you can possibly afford ANY other option, is to avoid inverters. Particularly with TWO machines plugged in. Unless you have a three-ton portable battery..... They are just WAY too inefficient and if you are operating off of a battery, I have to expect your power supply is from a limited capacity battery and you would want to save as much of that supply as possible.

And all the chatter about "pure sine wave" is bunkum. A CPAP machine couldn't care less... For whatever diety's sake you may subscribe, the current goes back through a converter to turn the power back into DC!!! The CPAP never sees any of it! It is all marketing from some slightly ethical appearing computer UPS marketers.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your responses here.

I've used a surge suppressor for several years. It has an extension cord. This combo saved my machine once.

Now I've wondered if I should get a battery back up, so I'm following threads. This one interested me.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  12 volt battery adapter for Philips Respironics CPAP DreamStation Tech6 9 958 09-04-2023, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Apneaway
  hose adapters cmkeur 2 658 03-15-2022, 04:08 PM
Last Post: cmkeur
  [Equipment] airsense 10 - universal tubing/hose adapters revbkelly 2 823 12-23-2021, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Devilbiss 12 volt power cable Cuppa 1 881 09-24-2021, 12:29 AM
Last Post: Cuppa
  resmed car plug adapters roadkingrick 2 577 08-25-2021, 03:45 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Equipment] Are CPAP Oil Infusion Adapters safe for machine? Revivified 14 6,600 03-23-2017, 09:12 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Will a 20 volt DC converter work with the S9? toller 12 2,941 02-28-2016, 05:32 PM
Last Post: sdb7802

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.