Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stop Therapy Question
RE: Stop Therapy Question
Huh. I use auto-stop and auto-start all the time! Even when I get up once or twice a night for a potty run. It works wonderfully for me. Different brand machine from OP, but similar to some of the other posters.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried that feature early in my treatment, and it didn't work that well.

It is just as easy to hit the knob to turn on and off. My 2 cents. Eat-popcorn
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a big difference in the speed that Autostart/ stop works between Resmed and Respironics. Resmed starts at the first breath, while Respironics takes several good strong breaths to start. Removing the mask on Resmed, the machine will stop in 10 seconds, while Respironics takes 30-45 seconds to stop.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2016, 05:28 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: There is a big difference in the speed that Autostart/ stop works between Resmed and Respironics. Resmed starts at the first breath, while Respironics takes several good strong breaths to start. Removing the mask on Resmed, the machine will stop in 10 seconds, while Respironics takes 30-45 seconds to stop.

Sleeprider, thanks for the explanation.

It did seem to take a long time to get my PR machine to start, and that explains why I didn't care for the feature.

I had to breath really hard to get it to get it to start.
Too much work! Oh-jeez
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2016, 07:23 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(09-13-2016, 05:28 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: There is a big difference in the speed that Autostart/ stop works between Resmed and Respironics. Resmed starts at the first breath, while Respironics takes several good strong breaths to start. Removing the mask on Resmed, the machine will stop in 10 seconds, while Respironics takes 30-45 seconds to stop.

Sleeprider, thanks for the explanation.

It did seem to take a long time to get my PR machine to start, and that explains why I didn't care for the feature.

I had to breath really hard to get it to get it to start.
Too much work! Oh-jeez

I have the same problem. I turn the machine on manually even though I haven't turned Autostart off. I feel like I'm not getting enough air if I wait on Autostart.

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just used my Resmed S9 back-up machine for the first time last night. The difference between Resmed and Respironics auto start/stop is night and day. Respironics should just remove this feature. I was amazed at how natural and useful the Resmed version was.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me the auto feature is great on the ResMed, on my Respironics it takes a while to start and stop. If I use the Respironics I shut it off with the button. As others have said, the ResMed is almost instantaneous. This actually sold me on the ResMed. I have the AirSense 10 Auto and the Dreamstation Auto and switch between them, but the AirSense gets more use.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a control freak, so I use the button. Also, the SH graphs show a nice clean stop point, followed by a new ramp when I turn it back on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 25 977 5 minutes ago
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 841 9 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,272 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,367 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.