Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] 5 year old Airsense 10 Autoset with under 5K hours power connector issues
5 year old Airsense 10 Autoset with under 5K hours power connector issues
I bought the unit brand new in 2017. About a year ago the error message "Power Connector at rear of device not fully connected" started popping up (albeit briefly) with amazing regularity. After doing a bit of research here and elsewhere, I decided that the fault might have been with a bad power supply - so I replaced it with a new one.

Error message continued to abide.

Tried a second power supply with identical results.

Have tried un-inserting, re-inserting, firmly pressed insertion, etc.

Problem persists. Which obviously points to the fact that it's NOT really a problem with a power connector not being fully inserted but with the power connector itself.

I ran across an earlier thread in this forum that basically described the same problem with OP asking (without getting much satisfaction) if a replacement power connector part for the Resmed Airsense 10 could be ordered from ANYWHERE and the answer was...

"Maybe."

In sum the fallback position lacking an actual replacement part was to order a comparable part from DIGIKEY and replace the defective part by soldering it on to the existing board.

The part cost less than two bucks and about five more to ship, so I have done this. It should be here anytime. Not looking forward to disassembling the Airsense 10 and unsoldering/resoldering the new part.

Before I undertake this daunting adventure in electronics, it would be good to know if anyone here might have an access to ordering a genuine Resmed replacement power connector module? I'd also like to know if this error message is significant enough that it might be negatively influencing the readings on the machine?

Because, if it's not, and I can't find the original part, I might just leave well enough alone and learn to live with the problem.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 5 year old Airsense 10 Autoset with under 5K hours power connector issues
If it just started, I would first look for a cold solder joint. If a retouching the connections with a hot iron works, it will save you time and money.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It started about a year ago and went on for about six months before I replaced it with a near new Airsense 10 for Her with only 400 hours that I picked up for $250 off my local Craigslist.  I stopped using the older unit for fear that the error message might mean the machine had become unreliable.  

In the meantime, I don't need two Airsense 10's.  I'd like to sell the older unit but don't feel like I  could do so in good conscience with the defective connector.  Nor is it feasible to send it off for repair as that expense is likely to meet or exceed its resale value.

I found the original thread ( http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...light=digi). Based on a post of yours in that thread, I ordered the part you recommended from Digi-Key.   

I appreciate your recommendation re checking for a cold solder problem and will definitely give it a shot. 

However, I'm hoping that someone here may know where/how to order the OE replacement connector with board if at all possible. Here's a pic of that part taken from the original thread linked above:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=29140]
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect the lack of used units, is because the Power Jack is soldered to the three wires, namely:

Red WIRE1B
White WIRE2B
Black WIRE3B

Then those wires run up from the lower rear, over the back and top of the Motor housing, before they are soldered to the MotherBoard, just to the upper left of the Screen as you look at the Screen.

So, because it is not a part that can be unplugged from the MotherBoard, it's unlikely anyone is going to sell a used one by itself, i.e. without also selling the MotherBoard along with it.

That's unless you can find a scrap MotherBoard on eBay, complete with the wires and Power Jack?

That just leaves soldering on a new Jack, which should not be too difficult, provided you can buy the correct one.

Point of posting this comment is to explain why it may be hard to find a used Power Jack.

However, that may help indirectly, because if you search instead for a ResMed S10 MotherBoard (AirSense or AirCurve, they use the same Power Jack), rather than just search for a ResMed Power Jack, you may thus widen the search, and might find a MotherBoard complete with Power Jack (hopefully at a reasonable price).

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes you can clearly see where a solder blob has lifted off of the circuit board's pad, or where the solder blob is no longer attached to the component's pin. A good magnifying glass might be needed. One of the solder blobs will be different than the other.
Imho, at least what Ive found from fixing various things, is that its more likely to be between the board and the blob.
Reflowing the solder blobs is much easier and less likely to damage the board (removing the old solder without damaging the circuit board pads etc).
Spray the blobs down with good electrical contact cleaner, let it evaporate, then heat up the blobs until they flash to liquid and flow a tiny bit, making sure not to move anything while they resolidify.
Post Reply Post Reply
First rate suggestion, thanks.  My expanded search located a used mainboard on [url=(https://www.ebay.com/itm/204125019740?ha...ar_YA]eBay[/url] for $150 that does, indeed, have the Power Jack attached.  At least I have a fallback position if all else fails.

[Image: atTbBwo.jpg]

I also found an excellent, step by step (with photos) instruction on how to fully dismantle a Resmed Airsense 10 ( Link.)  A resource I'll need just to be able to safely unbury the Power Jack.  Can't fix a cold solder issue or solder in a new Jack without getting to it first.  Rolleyes

[Image: znULaOM.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm, the solder points for the jack are under than plastic part ? Does the plastic part come off of the board ?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 465 1 hour ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 211 4 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 118 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,623 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.