Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] AHI changes
Exclaimation 
AHI changes
I've been using a Resmed S-9 Elite sleep apnea machine with H5i humidifier for over nine months now. The last few months, I've noticed that the AHI reading each night is very different. It used to be fairly stable around 2 to 4 AHI. Now it has become anything from 1.2 to 18.9 AHI , depending on the night. Is it normal to have such different readings. I'm not sure if this is a mask or cushion problem, or a machine or humidifier problem. Who calibrates a sleep apnea machine in case it is a machine problem? Thanks for any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI changes
(03-07-2012, 11:48 AM)Sleeper 23 Wrote: I've been using a Resmed S-9 Elite sleep apnea machine with H5i humidifier for over nine months now. The last few months, I've noticed that the AHI reading each night is very different. It used to be fairly stable around 2 to 4 AHI. Now it has become anything from 1.2 to 18.9 AHI , depending on the night. Is it normal to have such different readings. I'm not sure if this is a mask or cushion problem, or a machine or humidifier problem. Who calibrates a sleep apnea machine in case it is a machine problem? Thanks for any help.

your dme can check your machine pressure very easily. i would say to first wash your mask real good and wash/shave your face to try to minimize leaks as much as possible. it could be that your mask cushion is losing its seal because of age.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeper 23 and welcome
It,s normal for the AHI to vary slightly from one one night to the next but not from 1.2 to 18.9, if it,s just one night wouldn't worry about it.
Check the leak on the high AHI nights, leak over 24L/min can affect the accuracy of the data.
If leak isn't the problem than may be appointment with the doctor is in order, something isn't right.

How to achieve the perfect mask fit by jeffy1958

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...t=mask+fit
Post Reply Post Reply
UncleBill is spot on. Your DME can check the equip for you in a heartbeat.
It does sound like a bad leak somewhere in the mask interface. If it were the machine it qould be more consistent or steady readings.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
So..... How much of a relationship is there between mask leaks/mask fit and AHI readings? I thought that AHI was just a value that measures the quanity of apnea events and that some days you'll have more events than the next night. If there is a relationship between the AHI readings and the mask fit/leaks then how best to stop the leaks? I ended up going with a Resmed softgel as the the other masks left marks and/or sores on my nose. The problem with the Softgel though is that it seems to leak more than I would like and so far I have not been successful in finding a good solution to getting the right fit. My nephew who also has a CPAP machine says that I'm obcessing and that I should ignore everything and just take what you can get but if there's something I can do to get the AHI lower and get a better fit on my mask I'm all for it. Let me know anyone has any suggestions
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2012, 09:42 PM)moondoggy Wrote: So..... How much of a relationship is there between mask leaks/mask fit and AHI readings? I thought that AHI was just a value that measures the quanity of apnea events and that some days you'll have more events than the next night. If there is a relationship between the AHI readings and the mask fit/leaks then how best to stop the leaks? I ended up going with a Resmed softgel as the the other masks left marks and/or sores on my nose. The problem with the Softgel though is that it seems to leak more than I would like and so far I have not been successful in finding a good solution to getting the right fit. My nephew who also has a CPAP machine says that I'm obcessing and that I should ignore everything and just take what you can get but if there's something I can do to get the AHI lower and get a better fit on my mask I'm all for it. Let me know anyone has any suggestions

I have been a full year trying to find the right mask that didn't hurt the nose and leave marks. Finally I purchased a ResMed "Mirage Activa"
WOW what a difference! Would highly recommend it.
Bompa
Post Reply Post Reply
Moondoggie...let me offer some food for thought. (My opinion)

Hypothetical situation,,, Lets say that you have been titrated at a sleep clinic, with a non-leaking mask, and under optimum conditions, to a pressure of 10 cm H2O in order to keep your airway open, and which blocks 95% of your obstructive apneas and leaves you with a respectable AHI of 1.0... All things being considered, you have been sent home with a new CPAP and mask like the one at the sleep clinic, BUT it is starting to make your nose sore or leaves marks on your face so you change to another style mask. The red marks and soreness dissappear with the new mask, but you can't seem to stop the bad leaks because of any number of reasons. The daily AHI reading has now jumped to 3.0 because you are loosing (a wild guess here because there is no way to measure a leak to my knowledge) 2 cm of pressure thru the bad leaks and are now only getting 8 cm of pressure down your airway for therapy and which allows for higher resulted daily AHI.

Thats my thoughts on the coralation between leaks and AHI readings.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Leaks can do several things.

1) It can make the machine not score apneas that do exist or see apneas that don't exist. If it's an auto machine, it can mess up your pressure.

2) If the leak is bad enough, the pressure in the mask can drop and affect your therapy.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2012, 03:31 PM)Bompa Wrote:
(03-07-2012, 09:42 PM)moondoggy Wrote: So..... How much of a relationship is there between mask leaks/mask fit and AHI readings? I thought that AHI was just a value that measures the quanity of apnea events and that some days you'll have more events than the next night. If there is a relationship between the AHI readings and the mask fit/leaks then how best to stop the leaks? I ended up going with a Resmed softgel as the the other masks left marks and/or sores on my nose. The problem with the Softgel though is that it seems to leak more than I would like and so far I have not been successful in finding a good solution to getting the right fit. My nephew who also has a CPAP machine says that I'm obcessing and that I should ignore everything and just take what you can get but if there's something I can do to get the AHI lower and get a better fit on my mask I'm all for it. Let me know anyone has any suggestions

I have been a full year trying to find the right mask that didn't hurt the nose and leave marks. Finally I purchased a ResMed "Mirage Activa"
WOW what a difference! Would highly recommend it.
Bompa

I also have a Mirage Activa mask, its the best one I've used, I also use the Swift FX. I think it's hard to beat ResMed's mask's
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2012, 11:48 AM)Sleeper 23 Wrote: I've been using a Resmed S-9 Elite sleep apnea machine with H5i humidifier for over nine months now. The last few months, I've noticed that the AHI reading each night is very different. It used to be fairly stable around 2 to 4 AHI. Now it has become anything from 1.2 to 18.9 AHI , depending on the night. Is it normal to have such different readings. I'm not sure if this is a mask or cushion problem, or a machine or humidifier problem. Who calibrates a sleep apnea machine in case it is a machine problem? Thanks for any help.

I do not know if I am posting this in the correct thread, forgive me if I am not.
I am going through the forum, and found this post below (in red)
I do have a smart card in my respironics machine, am I possibly able to check my AHI myself, and if so, what would be involved? I did read through changing your own settings, but I am more interested in just finding out what my AHI number is for now. Thanks for any help :grin:

The Apnea/Hypopnea Index (AHI) is the frequency of abnormal respiratory events per hour of sleep. These events are classified as Apneas or Hypopneas. Apnea is when breathing (airflow) stops for 10 seconds or more. Hypopnea is a partial blockage of airflow resulting in arousal and a possible drop in oxygen level. An AHI of 45 would indicate that the patient is experiencing complete or partial airflow blockage 45 times per hour.

The generally accepted ranges are:

AHI < 5 per hour = No Sleep Apnea

AHI 5 to < 15 per hour = Mild Sleep Apnea- (some say that 5-10 would be called "borderline OSA")

AHI 15 to < 30 per hour = Moderate Sleep Apnea

AHI > or = 30 per hour = Severe Sleep Apnea
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.